PDA

View Full Version : Middleage guy w/ - new to me - old segway

L3Research
04-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi all,

New guy here...I live in San Diego and have purchased an i167 with some fixer-upper needs. It has a smashed handlebar and chargeable batteries with uncertain remaining life.

I read the handlebar repair threads, and wonder if the "righty" steering conversion I have seen offered for sale is just a mod to the existing bar that moves the sensor to the right side. Anyone know? and does it work and last?

Best wishes all,

Jim

wwhopper
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
There is a meet up tomorrow at Martyland, if I were you, I would go there, you will learn more about Segways from your local group of Segway Enthusiasts, and no doubt learn all about handlebars, batteries and so much more!

It will be well worth it!

And Segway folks love meeting other Segway folks!

Bob.Kerns
04-17-2009, 09:48 PM

...Except for the ones who don't. But you'll never meet them! :)

"The rare and elusive Hermit Glider".

L3Research
04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
That sounds great, but I have to prep a car for the Long Beach GP tomorrow.

I'll keep an eye out for that group's future events!

Best to you,

Jim

Gihgehls
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
There is a meet up tomorrow at Martyland, if I were you, I would go there, you will learn more about Segways from your local group of Segway Enthusiasts, and no doubt learn all about handlebars, batteries and so much more!

It will be well worth it!

No there isn't, its just that there is a meet up being planned in a mis-titled thread. Honestly those meetup threads should probably be closed about a week after the meetup so that people have time to get in their post-ride comments but aren't tempted to use a single megathread for meetings.

wwhopper
04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
So talk to anyone you see on a Segway at the Grand Prix, I bet they will be a Segway Chat member.

Since you will be working on a Grand Prix car, I know at least one member who wants to be your next best friend. Not including me! I take my segs to all kinds of car events! They are great at the track, and on the concours field!

L3Research
04-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Will,

I've participated in quite a bit of tech development for electric vehicles.

Go see my website: L3Research.com , I've been contemplating adapting NiHM modules from the Toyota Prius to work with the Seg. or perhaps Lithium modules from the DeWalt 36V powertool line. This last could just plug-in and plug out using the stock DeWalt interface and provide real convenience.

So who are the real hackers in this crowd??

Bob.Kerns
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Will,

I've participated in quite a bit of tech development for electric vehicles.

Go see my website: L3Research.com , I've been contemplating adapting NiHM modules from the Toyota Prius to work with the Seg. or perhaps Lithium modules from the DeWalt 36V powertool line. This last could just plug-in and plug out using the stock DeWalt interface and provide real convenience.

So who are the real hackers in this crowd??

Well, me, for one. I'm somewhat constrained in time to hack around with hardware, and I'm not up for putting either my Segway or either of my Prius's out of operation.

There's a guy in my town who makes plugin-in Priuses I've been meaning to talk to. (He claims to be the first to do so).

But I can contribute ideas, and if there's a reasonable prospect of success, I think I could put in some $$ and time to construct a prototype.

But fiddling around with high-energy batteries is a Very Big Deal. One thing I'd want to know before getting into doing it is that if we succeed, will we be able to fly with the things? I'm unclear on how the regulations would apply, but if we'd have to get them certified, we'd need someone with the resources to do that.

It would defeat the purpose, from my perspective at least, to come up with a NiMH battery, that can't be transported via airline!

L3Research
04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
hi Bob,

It has been a while since I reviewed the DOT and FAA rules, but I remember a colleague telling me that total mass of active battery material in any single container was the criteria. I agree that airline travel is a big deal to shoot for.

As for high energy batteries, got that covered, and yes it is a big deal. I'd like to go PM or phone at some point soon and keep this small and focussed, so, if you know other hacker types that can help, let's have a cerebral seance soon.

PM me.

Jim

Bob.Kerns
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
hi Bob,

It has been a while since I reviewed the DOT and FAA rules, but I remember a colleague telling me that total mass of active battery material in any single container was the criteria. I agree that airline travel is a big deal to shoot for.

I know it's written that way for Lithium content. I forget the specific number, but it is a specific number.

As for high energy batteries, got that covered, and yes it is a big deal. I'd like to go PM or phone at some point soon and keep this small and focussed, so, if you know other hacker types that can help, let's have a cerebral seance soon.

PM me.

Jim

Hmm, hacker friends into hacking this sort of hardware who are into Segways. Do helicopters count? No?

Though there's the transportation systems lab at Berkeley -- they were giving Segway demos to folks there yesterday (they have two gen1) . Their field lab is in Richmond. Maybe they'd be interesting folks to hook up with. And the folks that did the solar car would be good to make contact with as well.

Unfortunately, there's a long, car-only bridge between me and them, unless I do boat + bart. Either way, a bit shy of convenient for a collaboration.

But between solar and other electric car research groups and interested undergrads, universities would be a good place to troll for collaborators. Even without funds, they have resources of time and equipment that may come in handy.