PDA

View Full Version : Noobie not yet user

1Chris2
04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello, actually trying to find more info for my wife. She was injurd at work, fractured her ankle, and has limited mobility in that ankle. I am wondering if there is a boot or prostetic she can stand on for use with a Segway. As she used to go on walks with her friends, and she has a major limp. I thought a Segway would be a good Idea for her, after watching demo video I'm not so sure. Would be good to see her out and about again. Thank you or any input

Bob.Kerns
04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I don't think anyone can really give you the answers you need over the internet.

We can offer hope, ideas, suggestions. But ultimately, it will boil down to her decision about what works for her. And the best way to do that is to find an experienced dealer and work with them on it. A patient owner who'd spend some time with you would be a substitute. But there's no substitute for her trying it out, finding what does or doesn't work, and possibly trying it again after making some changes.

I'd suggest involving her physical therapist in the question of what sort of assistive device might help with the ankle. She might possibly need to ride with one knee bent more, so that foot is just on the toe. She also might benefit from a seat, if extended use is painful.

You don't need a whole lot of range of motion in the ankle for a Segway. If she needs more than her current range, she might be able to attain it via physical therapy -- in fact, a Segway might possibly BE physical therapy.

I myself use a device called a UFO to lengthen my achilles tendon, which tends to shorten due to my condition. I was finding gliding to be getting more and more painful until my physical therapist suggested it. (Every time I'd get on, I'd wonder how long it would be before I'd need a seat!) This is a therapy device, not something I wear while gliding!

Nelda
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi, I'll send you a private message, perhaps I can be of help to you.

Nelda

nickyboy
04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Is there no delaer near you? If not, maybe take a local Segway tour if there is one. Explain your situation and I am sure they would accomodate you. I have a mobility impaired user coming on my tour next week to see if they can "manage" for nearly an hour. I always say that the training part is free, if they cannot manage it, and then, if they go ahead and buy a Segway I return the tour fee's for the user and partner.