PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from sunny (sometimes) Florida

Paula465
04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
My husband just purchased a segway for me as a means to continue to enjoy the trails with my hiking friends.

I have compartment syndrome and have had for over 20 years, but recent flair ups have curtailed my time on the trail tremendously. My doctor said that it was inevitable and was surprised that I had managed for so long without it progressing more quickly than it had.

So I am looking forward to the delivery of my machine and hitting the trails again.

bentbiker
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Welcome. Here's hoping the Segway offers you a chance to continue enjoying your trails; no fair forcing your friends to speed up their treks. I had never heard of compartment syndrome until your post. I'm sure we all wish you the best.

Paula465
04-03-2009, 08:20 PM
*laughs* No, I promise I'm not going to make them jog along. I'll keep my pace slow. I like to take in the scenery too much to rush. Although we do have a couple of members in our group that probably hike about 4 to 5 miles per hour. Even on my best days I couldn't keep up with them and one carries a backpack that has just about everything in it except the kitchen sink.

I've even known him to carry a small cooler in it so he could have cold sodas on the trail.

What sold my husband and I on the segway was a tour we recently took at Ft. George State Park in Jacksonville, FL. It was great fun and other than our guide went faster than I would have liked to have gone (not worried about the speed, just missed too much scenery), I still had a great time. But I do understand he was under time constraints, so I'll be glad to take delivery of my own so I can set my own pace.