PDA

View Full Version : Will Segways prepetuate the rat race?

n/a
10-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Will Segways prepetuate the stress associated with the rat race? Will the demand for efficiency and productivity dictate that people will feel pressured to zip around on Segways instead of taking leasurly strolls from one destination to another? Increased stress and less exercise is not a good combination.

So far, we here have been mostly concerned with the question of wheter Segway will succeed or not, as to wheter they are safe or not, as to wheter they will lead to increased productivity or not, or whether people will get lazy or not. But What if Kamen & co. is correct that Segways will significantly effectivize walking and increase efficiency? Will that be a blessing or a curse? As I see it at this point, this problem could be the BIGGEST potential problem attributable to Segway.

The necessity to walk so some destinations outdoors and most destinations indoor has been one limiting influence on the pace at which things can be done. Suddenly, we are given the possibility to increase walking pace, almost anywhere, 3 fold and possibly more.

Will that mean that we will have more leasure time to do the things we enjoy or will we be forced to keep up with the pace that Segways will enable us to move at? At the work place, the boss will want us to use our time as effectevely as possible. There is not likely to be a choice for some people. But what about in our private lives?

A personal observation: when driving in traffic, on a stretch of road, the speed limit is 60 kmh. Most people drive at 70. I feel a pressure to keep up with the traffic even if I drive the legal limit. I imagine this could be be the case when Segways hit the sidewalks in significant numbers. Pedestrians will to an increasing degree feel that they are holding up traffic and may feel pressured to ride on Segways so that they dont feel that they are in the way. Perhaps walking itself will come to be views as a poor mans mode of transportation. Perhaps walkers will be looked down own in more ways than one.

So if Kamen & co. is correct that people will want to increase their efficiency of travel, the pace of activity would be significantly impacted, and this could lead to even more stress. BTW stress related health problems is, I believe the most pervasive health problem in our modern age. Kamen who is a workaholic, sleeps only a few hours a night, and works 7 days a week, is not likely to be the person who would see this as a problem or even be sympathetic towards it.

Blinky
10-27-2002, 03:25 PM
You bring up some very good concerns. I agree there could potential problems with Segways and how they adopt to todays society.

Bringing up your concerns about how intimidating it may be for someone who is walking on the sidewalk and having to move out of the way of a Segway are very serious. It is quite possible that these concerns are whats causing a little delay in 18 of the 50 states to make Segways legal.

The specific task(s) at hand will define the importance for a potential consumer to buy a Segway, as well as the urgency of the daily duties for the owner to decide to use the Segway or not.

As for people feeling like they are the poor man walking instead of Segway'n. People own cars, bikes, etc., I don't think those people feel any insecure than the next person. I have lived life with out a car so far. I don't feel inferior because of that. But the initial feelings that people might feel have might be so. Your also taking into account the price of the Segway-HT at the moment. If this was the case, things would most likely change once the price drops.

Kamen is a great inventor. When creating/inventing something, one should take into account how it will adapt to society. I am sure he did this, but you do have a good point about his work ethic being something that might have played a factor in his views of how a Segway-HT might pan out in todays world.

Since Kamen is trying to sell the Segway. We should assume that if he is not thinking about people with concerns like your self, that he sure is hiring people to do it for him.

n/a
10-27-2002, 04:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

You bring up some very good concerns. I agree there could potential problems with Segways and how they adopt to todays society.

Does that mean that u think Segways could contribute significantly to increasing the pace and increase levels of stress?

quote:Bringing up your concerns about how intimidating it may be for someone who is walking on the sidewalk and having to move out of the way of a Segway are very serious. It is quite possible that these concerns are whats causing a little delay in 18 of the 50 states to make Segways legal.

It would be interesting to know what the reasons for the "slight" delays are. Is it concern about safety issues, issues relating to increased stress on sidewalks due to sidewalk congestion, or what?

quote:The specific task(s) at hand will define the importance for a potential consumer to buy a Segway, as well as the urgency of the daily duties for the owner to decide to use the Segway or not.

I am not sure I understand what u mean by this. It will be up to individuals to determine if they use Segways for increasing efficiency when not at work. But I do wonder how much pressure they will feel to be more effective in getting around when they are at work.

quote:As for people feeling like they are the poor man walking instead of Segway'n. People own cars, bikes, etc., I don't think those people feel any insecure than the next person. I have lived life with out a car so far. I don't feel inferior because of that. But the initial feelings that people might feel have might be so. Your also taking into account the price of the Segway-HT at the moment. If this was the case, things would most likely change once the price drops.

The price factor is relevant ofcourse, and may eventually be irrelevant. But the pressure to ride instead of walk because one feels that one is obstructing traffic could be a bigger problem in the long run, unless Segway lanes become commonplace.

quote:Kamen is a great inventor. When creating/inventing something, one should take into account how it will adapt to society. I am sure he did this, but you do have a good point about his work ethic being something that might have played a factor in his views of how a Segway-HT might pan out in todays world.

Since Kamen is trying to sell the Segway we should assume that if he is not thinking about people with concerns like your self, that he sure is hiring people to do it for him.

I know of one speech where Kamen demonstrated his awareness of the unintended consequences of new technology. But like I said, he may have a blindspot with regard to stress and efficiency. Such effects would not be manifest until Segways were widely accepted. By then it might be too late in a way. But public awareness about the negative side of short-term vs. long term efficiency and productivity will hopefully increase.

I understand that it is not Kamen's responsibility if an effectivity tool, that Segway is supposed to be, may lead to increased stress related ailments. People are stressed by traffic congestion, suffering due to pollution, and they are dieing due to traffic accidents and the environment is being destroyed.

Perhaps another approach to the issue of effectiveness and productivity is the longer view. If Segways can be used to maintain effectiveness with less strain and stress, they might still be a worthwhile investment. Maybe Segway LLC should plug that approach more. That might sell fewer Segways but it might have a more postitive effect in the long run. It would probably reduce the worries of the employees who felt the pressure to be more productive.

ftropea
10-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Valid concerns Lawrence...

As a city dweller myself, I often find it frustrating just getting from point A to B. I'm a fast walker but can never get where I want quick enough! Jumping on a bus is an option.. but then you're stuck in traffic. Train delays... another headache. When I walk, I often wish I could just zip through a block or two.. just glide along through pockets of empty sidewalk. However, I can only walk as fast as I can...

That's where I see a Segway HT suiting my needs as a pedestrian on the move. I want some more flexibility to zip around the area where I work.. and also to travel further around my neighborhood at home. In my case, being able to utilize a Segway HT would decrease frustration... and probably stress. I see it as a tool which would make my life easier. In my case, being more productive by getting to where I want to go quickly would be beneficial in many regards.

Quick point about getting exercise...

On the weekend, the wife and I like to play tennis at our favorite park. It's a bit of a pain walking there because it's a little out of the way. With Segways, we could get there faster... play longer and harder, knowing we can just seg the way back home.. No problem :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
10-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Lawrence writes..
quote:Does that mean that u think Segways could contribute significantly to increasing the pace and increase levels of stress?
Well, to say the Segway will specifically contribute to today's society is not for me to say. Its something maybe someone who has a specific degree in would be able to answer this one better. There are many type of stresses in this world and different types of things that cause them. From the simplest thing from traffic congestion to worrying about getting clipped by a terrorist attack. We won't be able to honestly answer this question until the Segway is released to the public, or more public studies are released(if they havn't done it privately yet).
quote: It would be interesting to know what the reasons for the "slight" delays are. Is it concern about safety issues, issues relating to increased stress on sidewalks due to sidewalk congestion, or what?
Very good questions you brought up. It would be very helpful to understand the delay if the media could report more about the current status of the 'delay'.
If it is related to side walk (stress,congestion), to me that would be a small reason to not pass the required laws for the Segway to become legal in the remainder states(Yes, public stats wouldn't hurt either, like you said) But, if it is (safety) I would say that this might be a good possibility.
quote: quote:The specific task(s) at hand will define the importance for a potential consumer to buy a Segway, as well as the urgency of the daily duties for the owner to decide to use the Segway or not.
I am not sure I understand what u mean by this. It will be up to individuals to determine if they use Segways for increasing efficiency when not at work. But I do wonder how much pressure they will feel to be more effective in getting around when they are at work.
Well, I think the Segway will be useful on and off the job. I think off the job it will be up to the consumer to decide what use they will have for the Segway. If it is not relevent for them to use one, they won't. If it does, they will.
At work, I definitely think the worker will feel more stress and pressure to preform. Segway is pushing for their product on major companies who can use them to be more effective. I am sure the worker will have to live up to the same standard. Same as when computers were first used in the work place, I am sure productivity expectancy was at a higher level.
Will the worker have to worry about owning his own Segway? I don't think so, I am sure the employer will provide one.
If riding a Segway-HT at work is required for the worker, I don't think there will be inadequate time for him/her to get around. I will say that their time to get around will definitely be shorter.
quote:The price factor is relevant ofcourse, and may eventually be irrelevant. But the pressure to ride instead of walk because one feels that one is obstructing traffic could be a bigger problem in the long run, unless Segway lanes become commonplace.
I agree. Be sure that Segway will definiately be working on that issue one day. If it does prove to be productive and common, you can almost bet something will be done about it.
quote: I know of one speech where Kamen demonstrated his awareness of the unintended consequences of new technology. But like I said, he may have a blindspot with regard to stress and efficiency. Such effects would not be manifest until Segways were widely accepted. By then it might be too late in a way. But public awareness about the negative side of short-term vs. long term efficiency and productivity will hopefully increase.

I understand that it is not Kamen's responsibility if an effectivity tool, that Segway is supposed to be, may lead to increased stress related ailments. People are stressed by traffic congestion, suffering due to pollution, and they are dieing due to traffic accidents and the environment is being destroyed.

Perhaps another approach to the issue of effectiveness and productivity is the longer view. If Segways can be used to maintain effectiveness with less strain and stress, they might still be a worthwhile investment. Maybe Segway LLC should plug that approach more. That might sell fewer Segways but it might have a more postitive effect in the long run. It would probably reduce the worries of the employees who felt the pressure to be more productive.
Great overview. Segway will have to address these issues. As to when they will, time will only tell. If Segway-HT's was more talked about publicly I am sure these issues would be brought up and addressed.

Breaking this thread up into little threads would be great too![xx(]

n/a
10-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Over at the "other" forum somebody posted that people do so little walking that whether Segways will be used or not will have insignificant impact on the pace of life. Anybody have statistics for or against? If true, it will be one less problem for Segway LLC to be concerned about.

Blinky
10-30-2002, 02:39 AM
http://www.transtat.dft.gov.uk/tables/1999/tt/ttart598.htm

Well, you can check this one out. It does not get specific to the reasons why people have been walking less(no article). There are charts on the bottom of the screen showing walking/cycling trend going down and Car/Van going up.

It is hard to say how the Segway affects society and our daily routines. I would think that a Segway 'might' replace some of the people taking their cars/cyclists.

But these stats are quite old.

Edited: I also forgot to mention that the stats are from England. [:I]

yop
10-31-2002, 11:03 AM
According to the site Blinky found, people in the UK walk 195 miles per year. That works out to just over half a mile per day (195 / 365 = 0.53).

BTW, here's the quote that I posted on the "other" site that Lawrence was referring to:

"On average the total walking of an American these days-- that's walking of all types: from car to office, from office to car, around the supermarket and shopping malls-- adds up to 1.4 miles a week, barely 350 yards a day."

This quote comes from A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (the quote is from the first paragraph of chapter 11). It's a humor book, and I think he probably exaggerates his personal experiences. But I think he does his research and tries to be accurate about matters of public record.