PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Pete
02-25-2009, 05:27 AM
New to the whole Segway thing.
I've seen people using them in airports, shopping centres etc and like the idea.
I'm here to try and find out which model/version would be the best to buy should I do decide to buy one.

Bob.Kerns
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Unless you have a specific reason to the contrary, I'd highly recommend getting an i2.

The extra width and reduced range of the x2 are significant drawbacks.

The gen1 machines have advantages for those with stability problems that need to hold onto something rigid, but for the rest of us, having the leansteer frame move with you actually enhances stability, because if you're off balance it'll move back under you. And it's extremely natural.

Gen1 machines are only available used.

As for options or option packages -- the commuter package is a good place to start for most. I'd highly recommend the handlebar bag and the comfort mats. I would urgently recommend AGAINST the kickstand. There are aftermarket ones which are much better, and the stock one is worthless. (You can modify it with some plastic from a milk jug and some packing tape, with some black tape for appearance, but why buy it in the first place?)

They don't offer the 5W headlight any longer, but it may still be available via your dealer -- I recommend it, an the accessory bar it mounts on.

Failing that, there are many headlight options available for bicycles, but the accessory bar will make it easier to mount those, as well.

I recommend the lock kit. The associated screw for the LSF is actually easier to use than the default, and I think should be standard. The "toolless release" is NOT a quick-release, but does release too easily. Do not buy.

If you want maximum durability of finish, I'd go for the black anodized finish; if you want something with a different look, though, I'd just take your pick. If you REALLY want something with a different look, various people do customization.

KSagal
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Bob's advice is good, but I have no way to know if it is on point or not...

Asking what model to buy is like asking what car to buy... There are all kinds of answers, and none are right or wrong.

You need to decide how you plan to use the segway, to determine the best fit... Of course, after you get it, you may decide to do things with it you did not plan, and also find that you do not do some of the things you thought you would...

I agree that the i2 is the most versatile of what is curently being manufactured, but if you plan to be in the outback most of the time, or live at the end of a 2 mile dirt driveway, you may find that the x2 is more to your needs...

If you plan to go inside and out, and if you plan to spend a significant amount of time on pavement, sidewalks, or indoors (like malls) then the x2 is not the best machine, and we are back to the i2 which does all that, and more...

Further, you can easily go off road with the i2, but not as well as the x2...

So, for me, the quality of your answer can only match the information in your question, the less specific your question, the more generic your answer...

I have modified my parking stand, as most have, using other items than Bob, but I agree, it is the least functional item you will likely buy from segway corporate.

I would recommend the comfort pads (padded floor boards) for any model. I have not heard of a single person who does not feel them worth the investment or effort.

Lights, bags, and many other options are all based on your needs.

Good luck, Smile, and get yourself on a segway and you will have fun!

Bob.Kerns
02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Bob's advice is good, but I have no way to know if it is on point or not...

Indeed, all we can offer is a starting point about how to approach it. You have to think for yourself!

We're all different, with different needs.

OregonForester
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
That's a tough question to answer, not knowing how and where you intend to ride.
I had it in my mind that I wanted an X2, even though my local dealer tried to talk me into an I2.
I've driven 4x4 trucks for many years, and I decided that "off-roading" was much more important to me than the ability to ride through 3' doors.
I bought an X2, and have been extremely happy with it.
When my bride decided that she too had to have a Seg, she left the model up to me, and I bought her an X2, as well.
We do find that much of our "gliding" is done on pavement and gravel, but more than an occasional glide is done on trails or old logging roads.

To be honest? An I2 would probably be okay for both of us, but we do like the aggressive tires, the ground clearance, and the modified firmware of the X2's.

Go to a dealer and ride both!...then decide, but keep in mind that a quick trip down the sidewalk, or around the parking lot will be different than daily riding.
As to "kickstands"...in my opinion, they are an absolute must!....but just about any, other than the factory one. Comfort mats are also (IMHO) neccessary.
...normally, dealers cannot "deal" on the prices of the Segs, but they can often offer "accessories" either thrown in, or at a substantial discount.

Bob.Kerns
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
That's a tough question to answer, not knowing how and where you intend to ride.
I had it in my mind that I wanted an X2, even though my local dealer tried to talk me into an I2.
I've driven 4x4 trucks for many years, and I decided that "off-roading" was much more important to me than the ability to ride through 3' doors.
I bought an X2, and have been extremely happy with it.
When my bride decided that she too had to have a Seg, she left the model up to me, and I bought her an X2, as well.
We do find that much of our "gliding" is done on pavement and gravel, but more than an occasional glide is done on trails or old logging roads.

To be honest? An I2 would probably be okay for both of us, but we do like the aggressive tires, the ground clearance, and the modified firmware of the X2's.

Go to a dealer and ride both!...then decide, but keep in mind that a quick trip down the sidewalk, or around the parking lot will be different than daily riding.
As to "kickstands"...in my opinion, they are an absolute must!....but just about any, other than the factory one. Comfort mats are also (IMHO) neccessary.
...normally, dealers cannot "deal" on the prices of the Segs, but they can often offer "accessories" either thrown in, or at a substantial discount.

Good advice, and glad you made a choice you're happy with.

One thing to remember that may be a deal breaker for some considering an x2 is the reduced range, due to the soft tires. but a 10-12 mile range is still significantly more than a lot of people do in a day.

OregonForester
03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Good advice, and glad you made a choice you're happy with.

One thing to remember that may be a deal breaker for some considering an x2 is the reduced range, due to the soft tires. but a 10-12 mile range is still significantly more than a lot of people do in a day.

I think that the 10-12 mile range estimated for the X2's are calculated for those that ride "aggressively" off road.
We've ridden our X2's several times 14 miles round trip on pavement and hard gravel and have still had 2-2.5 bars showing on the InfoKeys. Now, I do not pretend to know just how accurate the battery indicator on the InfoKey is, but we've had no problems.

Off road, is a different story. I've ridden hard off road where there are quite a few steep hills, and had the indicator show only 2 bars after 8 miles!

That being said.....if you figure that 80-90% of your gliding will be on pavement, the longer range of the I2's, the fact that I2's are (MUCH) easier to roll through doors, and that I2's are probably easier to load and unload in your vehicle, might all be deciding factors.

If, however, you plan on chasing the wind off road, then I cannot imagine that you would be unhappy with an X2.

We've had our X2's for less than a year, and have only 400 miles on them. Both Karl and Bob have a lot more experience than we will likely ever have.
I would weigh their advice over mine.

KSagal
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Jack (Oregon Forester) brings up a great point about range...

I have been on some long glides of 15 miles or more, with some i2 and x2s...

The X2s clearly are bigger, but if the whole ride is on pavement, either roads or sidewalks, then you will likely get more miles than the 12 quoted for the x2 range. As has been stated, that milage is for a segway being used as it was designed to be used...

Conversely, if you take an i2 into the woods, and are going over ruts, roots, and rough terrain, you will get significantly less milage from those batteries than if you used it as it was intended, as a mostly pavement device...

Both machines can do a reasonable job on the other's turf. I have taken my i2 into the woods several times, but I do prefer a fair path. An X2 will take on far more aggressive terrain, but an i2 will get the job done most times.

An X2 on the other hand is great on pavements, for the glider. Smooth ride, mostly, curbs, and potholes are a breeze. Unfortunatly, the extra width is difficult in doorways, and in crowd situations. An i2 is about the same width of a person, the X2 is wider. Many city sidewalks, here in this older part of the country, make the width of the X2 problematic as well.

So, both work well everywhere, but some work better than that in their home turf...

Bob.Kerns
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
We've had our X2's for less than a year, and have only 400 miles on them. Both Karl and Bob have a lot more experience than we will likely ever have.
I would weigh their advice over mine.

I wonder how long it will take me to catch up to Karl in miles. I'm only at around 1750 total. He's got miles and years on me.

I think you're giving good advice. And I've not even ridden an X2, so you're contributing perspective I can't.

I think we're all saying it's an individual decision, and pointing out different aspects to think about.

I'd love to have both. What I do have is an i2 with an extra set of wheels with more aggressive tires, both as backup and for occasions when I'm doing something where that'd help. Haven't used them yet, but maybe if we go to Tahoe...

KSagal
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I wonder how long it will take me to catch up to Karl in miles. I'm only at around 1750 total. He's got miles and years on me.

I think you're giving good advice. And I've not even ridden an X2, so you're contributing perspective I can't.

I think we're all saying it's an individual decision, and pointing out different aspects to think about.

I'd love to have both. What I do have is an i2 with an extra set of wheels with more aggressive tires, both as backup and for occasions when I'm doing something where that'd help. Haven't used them yet, but maybe if we go to Tahoe...

My miles are not that extreme. I have been here for a while, and talk a lot, but among other things, that is because I work a lot, and have time during tests and operator functions... My wife calls me the Matag repairman for many reasons, not the least of which is large timeframes of 'working' without that much working. If you work smart, as an engineer, you can sometimes not work that hard... At least for some aspects of my job(s).

I do work many hours, I do not use the segs for commute, I have a family with small children, and many other activities... I glide when I can, and love it, but do not rack up the miles another in a warmer clime, or with other commute requirements may...

For me, it is not quantity. I have also had the pleasure of working with some fine individuals, at Inc, in this community with SEG America, and with the several dealers whom I share some values... My total segway experience has been a great and wonderful part of my life, but it cannot be measured by gliding miles alone...

So much for the soap box. Compare the value of your contribution to your own standards. Do not compare them to me or others, as the only standard that counts is your own honesty, and your own ability to learn and give some of that learning back to the community...

emrnyc
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM
So much for the soap box. Compare the value of your contribution to your own standards. Do not compare them to me or others, as the only standard that counts is your own honesty, and your own ability to learn and give some of that learning back to the community...

Well said .....

Bob.Kerns
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM

I wasn't putting a value on miles. Rather, I'm pointing out there's other things, like having been around the community for a long time, like attending SegfesTs, changing tires... There are many different dimensions to experience.

When I talk about the tradeoffs between an i2 and an x2, I'm combining what I've learned from others with my own experiences, and offering up what help I can. It is indeed one way to give back to the community.

But honesty compels me to acknowledge the limitations of my experience, and what information I offer that is coming from others.

I don't compare myself to you as a judgment on either of us. Rather, I'm just illustrating the differences. As you note, I commute, and you don't. I put in 15 miles today, sunshine, rain, and hail, suburban and city, flat and the steepest hills San Francisco has to offer. I doubt I've passed you in miles yet, but surely I will, and the commute experience is different.

So, despite my lack of years on a Segway, I have some hope that what I offer has some value to the reader, and I try to provide enough information that the reader can properly judge that for himself or herself.

But mostly, the reader has to take anything either of us offers, and think for himself or herself about how these might apply to their own situation, which is surely different from either of ours!

Pete
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.
The reality is, I have no idea what I'd actually use one for. I just really like the concept.
I live on a few acres that are not flat, so the X2 would probably be a better choice.
Got a friend in Amsterdam that's a policeman. He's training the coppers over there to chase people with them and reckons they're great.
I could chase the chooks and roos with it I suppose... :o

Bob.Kerns
03-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.
The reality is, I have no idea what I'd actually use one for. I just really like the concept.
I live on a few acres that are not flat, so the X2 would probably be a better choice.
Got a friend in Amsterdam that's a policeman. He's training the coppers over there to chase people with them and reckons they're great.

Flat's not a requirement for an i2, by any means. Either does hills just fine. But hills with rocks, ruts, loose gravel, tree roots -- the x2 gets the nod.

Any chance you could rent one or the other (or both in sequence) and figure out which suits your situation best?

I predict you'll be a happy camper either way -- and that at least occasionally, you'll wish you had the other -- either way.

OregonForester
03-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I can't answer to "chooks" and "roos" (actually I have no idea what a "chook" is), but I can offer from real experience that a Segway cannot run down a Jackrabbit, but it is more than sufficient to outrun Nutrias!

I suspect that an X2 would be the precise ticket for you!

Bob.Kerns
03-07-2009, 10:06 PM
a Segway cannot run down a Jackrabbit

I find it an even match. I always slow to allow them to escape without over-tiring themselves or causing them undue distress. But until I do, they generally remain trapped between my path and whatever obstruction lies to the side (water, road).