PDA

View Full Version : Climb Stairs

gsteeves
02-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi everyone………..

I just wanted to ask a stupid question??

Can a Segway climb stairs????????????

I know the conventional way, getting off the unit and walking it up the stairs but was wondering if it is possible to actually climb stairs when riding it….

I am not worried about stairs but I do have carpeted stairs appox 5 runs up…….
I have seen the UTube video which shows an X2 doing the job but it was
outside and I think it was only 1 concrete step………….
I do not have a unit yet as I am a disabled man in Alberta and am working on acquiring one…………..

Your input on the subject would be appreciated………..

Thanks Gary

Gihgehls
02-06-2009, 02:20 AM
No. It can not.

Bob.Kerns
02-06-2009, 03:13 AM
The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Your best bet is a ramp. There was a recent thread on the topic you can search for.

I've thought of lots of designs for aids to get a Segway up and down stairs. I haven't thought of one that I think would be successful or even worth prototyping -- basically, nothing that would be cheaper or better than a wheelchair lift. Which is an option, but expensive and with other drawbacks as well.

budsiskos
02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
depends on the step. normal steps no but on some long short ones yes.

KSagal
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
depends on the step. normal steps no but on some long short ones yes.

Long short ones? Are they like the fat skinny ones?:D

I agree that a short (in height) and very wide (latterly) step may be doable, but the simple answer in pretty much every indoor step is no.

The only potential that may be okay that I can imagine are those tiny steps that sometimes happen when you have an addition or a slightly sunken room...

Any step over just an inch or two will be very difficult to climb on a regular basis.

BillPaxton
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I've gone up very wide and long steps as high as curb height on my i167 by rolling parallel to the step and letting the tire 'walk' up via the sidewall, then reversing and letting the opposite wheel do the same. Doesn't work well on a stair that isnt at least a foot deep tho, and if its much taller than a curb it scratches the crap out of your battery. I dont recommend it much.

KSagal
02-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Bill,

Good to hear from you!

Curbs around here are typically 6 inches or more. I guess because of the snow...

I do not know the height of them in other places...

I can imagine that kind of a climb if the step is a couple feet long, but it surely is an acquired skill.

Next time I am in FLA, I will have to have you teach it to me...

When I was in Ohio several years ago, I was introduced to a curb hop where you go toward the curb with a bit of speed (a couple miles an hour) and just as the tires get to it, you step forward with one foot, and push off on top of the curb. If you time it right, and lift the gen 1 handlebar while doing it, you can assist the machine to climb the curb, even with part of your weight on it. As the base climbs the curb, you lift that forward foot, so that the base glides under it, and you keep going... Nice trick. It works, but takes some pretty good timing.

Still, I would not want to depend on it on a regular basis...

BillPaxton
02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Karl, I've been away with work for a *long* while. Well, I left my camcorder at work, but I can video tape it next week and show you what I mean.
Got down to 35 last night but tonight we're back up to 70 - THAT'S why I decided to live in FLA!!!
Anyhow, if you wanna try stair climbing, practice by rolling up a tapered curb, then slowly roll up and then down the flat side. Once you can go up with the leading tire, the second tire comes easy.

KSagal
02-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey Karl, I've been away with work for a *long* while. Well, I left my camcorder at work, but I can video tape it next week and show you what I mean.
Got down to 35 last night but tonight we're back up to 70 - THAT'S why I decided to live in FLA!!!
Anyhow, if you wanna try stair climbing, practice by rolling up a tapered curb, then slowly roll up and then down the flat side. Once you can go up with the leading tire, the second tire comes easy.

A "tapered" curb?

In my understanding, there are basically two types of curbs.

The first is the classic granite curb, a sharp perpendicular to the street, about 6 to 8 inches tall at the gutter, with sharp square corners. A variation of this is a concrete curb, with similar dimensions, but because it is formed from concrete, the corners are not as sharp.

The other is what we call here a "cape cod curb". This is really not a curb at all, but more of a pile of asphalt that is on top of the very edge of the pavement, and is usually about 6 inches wide, and 6 inches tall, but the street side is only vertical for about an inch, then it slopes away from the road so that the top is only 2 or 3 inches wide. The back is usually vertical, but the dirt is often back filled so that there is grass at the top.

By tapered I am guessing that you mean what I am calling a cape cod curb. (It kind of looks like those tire stops that they use in parking lots alot)

I have climbed both types, in various ways. I have surely climbed from the road onto the grass up cape cod curbs types in a manner very similar to what you have described... Or maybe more simply a 45 degree climb with one tire then parallel with the road a bit, and then 45 degree climb with the other tire...

On a short enough granite curb, I prefer to hit it at about a 45 degree angle with the first tire, or even steeper to 60 degrees, because I need a lot of the tread to catch that sharp edge. Then with only one wheel up, I parallel the road a bit before the 2nd tire hits... Next, when I have what I deem to be the proper speed (depends on many things, including my courage that day) I turn the seg as close to 90 degrees as I can, and climb the second tire...

I have done this a fair amount, and do not fear doing it, but also do not do it that much. I am not unhappy to stay either on the road or on the sidewalk a bit further if I can avoid this whole situation, and wait for a curb cut... I more do it when I must than for fun or for the sake of it...

I do not consider myself a particularly wimpy glider, but neither am I trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else... OF course, I am not that mature from time to time either, so when I start to play, I also do not take the most conservative route, and may do just about anything on the seg...

Gihgehls
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I do not consider myself a particularly wimpy glider, but neither am I trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else... OF course, I am not that mature from time to time either, so when I start to play, I also do not take the most conservative route, and may do just about anything on the seg...

I strongly identify with this :)

segsurfer
02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
A "tapered" curb?

In my understanding, there are basically two types of curbs.

The first is the classic granite curb, a sharp perpendicular to the street, about 6 to 8 inches tall at the gutter, with sharp square corners. A variation of this is a concrete curb, with similar dimensions, but because it is formed from concrete, the corners are not as sharp.

The other is what we call here a "cape cod curb". This is really not a curb at all, but more of a pile of asphalt that is on top of the very edge of the pavement, and is usually about 6 inches wide, and 6 inches tall, but the street side is only vertical for about an inch, then it slopes away from the road so that the top is only 2 or 3 inches wide. The back is usually vertical, but the dirt is often back filled so that there is grass at the top.

By tapered I am guessing that you mean what I am calling a cape cod curb. (It kind of looks like those tire stops that they use in parking lots alot)

I have climbed both types, in various ways. I have surely climbed from the road onto the grass up cape cod curbs types in a manner very similar to what you have described... Or maybe more simply a 45 degree climb with one tire then parallel with the road a bit, and then 45 degree climb with the other tire...

On a short enough granite curb, I prefer to hit it at about a 45 degree angle with the first tire, or even steeper to 60 degrees, because I need a lot of the tread to catch that sharp edge. Then with only one wheel up, I parallel the road a bit before the 2nd tire hits... Next, when I have what I deem to be the proper speed (depends on many things, including my courage that day) I turn the seg as close to 90 degrees as I can, and climb the second tire...

I have done this a fair amount, and do not fear doing it, but also do not do it that much. I am not unhappy to stay either on the road or on the sidewalk a bit further if I can avoid this whole situation, and wait for a curb cut... I more do it when I must than for fun or for the sake of it...

I find the technique you described to be very effective, although it's worth mentioning that this technique doesn't really work with stock tires on a wooden curb and almost pulled a face plant as I rotated my second tire up over the curb and encountered wheel slip...thankfully I recovered.
-segsurfer

Tory
02-18-2009, 07:39 AM
I've gone up very wide and long steps as high as curb height on my i167 by rolling parallel to the step and letting the tire 'walk' up via the sidewall, then reversing and letting the opposite wheel do the same. Doesn't work well on a stair that isnt at least a foot deep tho, and if its much taller than a curb it scratches the crap out of your battery. I dont recommend it much.
Bill Paxton gave me my morning giggle when he said it got down to 35 but was going back up to 70 that day. Bill please remember your Canadian gliders that encounter 40 BELOW. ( FYI) 40 BELOW is the same in Fahrenheit as it is in Celcius . Now that I'm old and partially wise I am a snow bird for Jan. and Feb.and spend it in the warmer parts of the good old U.S.A. ( P.S. thanks Bill for the not intentional humor) Tory ( :

BillPaxton
02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Bill Paxton gave me my morning giggle when he said it got down to 35 but was going back up to 70 that day. Bill please remember your Canadian gliders that encounter 40 BELOW. ( FYI) 40 BELOW is the same in Fahrenheit as it is in Celcius . Now that I'm old and partially wise I am a snow bird for Jan. and Feb.and spend it in the warmer parts of the good old U.S.A. ( P.S. thanks Bill for the not intentional humor) Tory ( :
I understand - I grew up in Detroit (I miss hockey) where a bad snowplow of the road meant waking up an hour early to shovel the driveway. When I graduated college I made a beeline to S. FL and I'll never go back!!

jocekortan
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Nope, it can't.

Gihgehls
07-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Darn, oh well. Thanks for the advice.