PDA

View Full Version : Locking the Seg or having a Quick Release?

segaddict
01-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I have an I2, a Segway lock kit, and a quick release. Looking at the lock kit and the quick release briefly (I do mean "briefly"). It does not appear that they cannot be used together.

Are my suspicions correct or have I not given it enough inspection?

jgbackes
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
You are correct, you have to choose one or the other :(

Gihgehls
01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, the quick-release doesn't work at all.

Bob.Kerns
01-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Well, the quick-release doesn't work at all.

Yes it does. It releases just fine!

It just doesn't do anything else. Including holding the LSF in alignment. I've never been even remotely willing to use mine in actual gliding.

What I've found is, it's actually a tool-less release, NOT a quick release. That's even its correct name. It's NOT as quick to release as the lock release + a suitable hex wrench.

In other words -- unless you're particularly phobic about carrying around and potentially losing a small tool, there are NO advantages, and MANY disadvantages to the tool-less release. And the disadvantages make it unsuited for the purpose anyway, so buck up, stick a hex wrench securely in your bag, and a spare somewhere, and get yourself the one for the lock.

Even if you don't buy the lock, it's a better screw than the standard one -- quicker to remove by spinning it between your fingers. If I were INC I'd just make it standard.

segaddict
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for suggestions. My tool-less release actually does work and quicker than carrying a wrench and doing it that way, but I have wondered why bother? The quick release, purchased when the I2 was new no longer has a purpose since I carry the Seg in a truck.

Due to the comments/responses I will take it off for the ability to use the lock and the more solidly stabilize the lean-steer.

Graci.

gbrandwood
01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Yup - the i2 has a tool-less release, Gen1s had the quick release.

I had both tool-less release and the lock for my i2 and never fitted the tool-less release. The lock was a much better option for me.