PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all!

i1 2move
12-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi there folks! After nearly two years of preparation and some difficulties we now start our Tourbusiness beginning of spring next year.

Ro start with an issue that I could not find in the forum:

Are there any experiences with charging the Seg from a different power source eg. from a small generator or from solar panels?
Wonder if the Power output, which in this case would rather be some kind of a square than a real sine wave, is suitable for the charger board.

On the other hand, we supply computers with UPS systems, which is nearly the same...

:confused:

'Nice rest of the week for everyone...

Bob.Kerns
12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi there folks! After nearly two years of preparation and some difficulties we now start our Tourbusiness beginning of spring next year.

Are there any experiences with charging the Seg from a different power source eg. from a small generator or from solar panels?
Wonder if the Power output, which in this case would rather be some kind of a square than a real sine wave, is suitable for the charger board.

On the other hand, we supply computers with UPS systems, which is nearly the same...

It's a good question. I don't actually know the answer, as in, I've never used anything other than 60 Hz 110 VAC sinusoidal power from the wall.

However -- I know that Segway of Oakland has done it on Angel Island. Maybe Steve can weigh in with his experience, and maybe give pointers as to panels and inverters that do the job.

I know that people charge from cars all the time, and a lot (if not most) of car inverters aren't sinusoidal or even pseudo-sinusoidal.

Further, this is clearly a relatively modern switching supply, capable of a wide range of input voltages. These aren't generally confused by non-sinusoidal power.

I'd be pretty surprised if the waveform gave you any problems whatsoever.

So that's not quite an iron-clad answer, but supports your reasoning.

2Mille
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Greetings and welcome.
First I wish you much success in your venture!
As for finding resources to recharge the PT eiather via off-board charge of conneting directly to the PT, as long as you respect the input electrical charging requirements I would ventue ANY power source will work.
I have seen some chat members use power inverters (not all will work becasue of the requirments), generators, etc. so I am sure there is a way to skin this cat;)
My recommendation is FIRST contact your distributor/dealer (if you are not one) so they in turn contact Segway Inc for the proper requirements. Be sure you do not get any "guesses" because it's your business you need to sustain and you need to make sure your tools will work for the job yuo need to do.
Basically you need a professional and comprehensive response for you needs.
Hope this helps.

i1 2move
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Greetings and welcome.
First I wish you much success in your venture!
As for finding resources to recharge the PT eiather via off-board charge of conneting directly to the PT, as long as you respect the input electrical charging requirements I would ventue ANY power source will work.
I have seen some chat members use power inverters (not all will work becasue of the requirments), generators, etc. so I am sure there is a way to skin this cat;)
My recommendation is FIRST contact your distributor/dealer (if you are not one) so they in turn contact Segway Inc for the proper requirements. Be sure you do not get any "guesses" because it's your business you need to sustain and you need to make sure your tools will work for the job yuo need to do.
Basically you need a professional and comprehensive response for you needs.
Hope this helps.

Yes indeed. Next week the National Importer visits me and I will ask him to have this question answered.

At first this was for me a question of "can I think into this direction?", and I think I can do so if I find a "safe" solution.

jgbackes
12-11-2008, 03:57 PM
At segfest 2008 I brought my Honda 2kw generator for charging. It's quiet and very portable. I was able to charge two segways in about 8 hours on 1 gallon of gas. There is nothing you can do to make it charge faster.

I like the idea of using solar, any good sine wave inverter for solar panels will do just fine. You'll need a few sets of extra batteries as you'll need daylight to charge, and that's the same time your customer will be out gliding. It's a pretty expensive idea when batteries run around $1600 per segway. Plus the cost of the panels and inverters.

On the front of my pickup I use a Cobra brand inverter that came with my SegVator to charge while in route.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.