PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Northern Virginia

Kizmokd
12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking for a solution to the home to commuter bus stop commute for my wife.

I've looked at a couple of electric powered and electric assist bicycles. One of the electric bicycles mfr/dealers local to me wants $3500.00 for their bike!

I got to thinking that is almost the cost of a Segway that I saw at Sam's Club the other day...

So, I'm here to ask questions and learn what I can about these Segway Transporters.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Regards,

Kiz

wwhopper
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Many use their Segs to go to and from the Metro Station.

The real key issue is parking it in a secure area. And most bus areas may not be that secure.

I will send you an invite to our DC Segway Enthusiast Group chat site DCSEG I know you will get some first hand info from the locals.

Mamrax
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I commute 10+ miles a day from PG county (except when it rains). It's great as long as it's handicap accessible. I had two routes that I tried when I first started out. The first one I tried was accessible all the way to the Metro. The second route was non to barely accessible for about half of the trip. But it's a great way to commute. I walk through the door every morning with a smile on my face. And I save about $12 a day.

I looked at Sam's club when I was purchasing mine. When I added the sales tax, I was able to purchase from an out of state dealer for about the same price and then you have a person to talk to if you have any problems.

Good luck M8!

Hello all,

I'm looking for a solution to the home to commuter bus stop commute for my wife.

I've looked at a couple of electric powered and electric assist bicycles. One of the electric bicycles mfr/dealers local to me wants $3500.00 for their bike!

I got to thinking that is almost the cost of a Segway that I saw at Sam's Club the other day...

So, I'm here to ask questions and learn what I can about these Segway Transporters.

Regards,

Kiz

Mamrax
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
You can take it on the Metro during off peak hours. I get the Metro at 6:30AM to go to work and get back on at 7PM to go home. I have to kill two hours waiting in the evening but I use the time to catch up on paperwork or have a couple of pints with the lads. (Mostly pints). There are times I can make arrangements to come in early and leave at 2:30PM so I can get on the metro before peak hours start. One thing to remember if you are using the Metro, the i2 can be on the Metro but the x2 can not because the footprint excedes the max allowed by Metro.

Good luck M8!

Many use their Segs to go to and from the Metro Station.

The real key issue is parking it in a secure area. And most bus areas may not be that secure.

I will send you an invite to our DC Segway Enthusiast Group chat site DCSEG I know you will get some first hand info from the locals.

jgbackes
12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
We, on this board, have talked a lot about purchasing from local dealers when it comes to buying segways.

I always think you should give your local dealer right of first refusal. Be honest with them and you might be surprised what they can do for you.

I understand that price has its appeal, but it shouldn't be the only factor when choosing where to buy your ride.

Welcome to the board, let us know how it turns out.

Hello all,

Regards,

Kiz

wwhopper
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
We, on this board, have talked a lot about purchasing from local dealers when it comes to buying segways.

I always think you should give your local dealer right of first refusal. Be honest with them and you might be surprised what they can do for you.

I understand that price has its appeal, but it shouldn't be the only factor when choosing where to buy your ride.

Welcome to the board, let us know how it turns out.

We have a good number of local dealers in the Metro DC area. Tri-State in Leesburg (though he lives in MD) Capitol in DC and Annapolis in MD (who I work with on occassion.) All can sell and service your Segway for you. Check with them before buying from Sam's Club, I bet you will get the same deal, but then you will have a direct contact for service.

I looked at Sam's club when I was purchasing mine. When I added the sales tax, I was able to purchase from an out of state dealer for about the same price and then you have a person to talk to if you have any problems.

And when you need service having your dealer close by is very important.