PDA

View Full Version : Interrupting the charge of a Lith/Ion battery

Pawsboy
11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Typical scenario: I come home from work with a depleted battery. I plug 'er in and go inside only to find out I forgot to go to the store and get {insert grocery item here}. I end up walking, afraid that I'll damage or shorten the life of these expensive batteries if the charging cycle is interrupted in any way :confused:

bentbiker
11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Typical scenario: I come home from work with a depleted battery. I plug 'er in and go inside only to find out I forgot to go to the store and get {insert grocery item here}. I end up walking, afraid that I'll damage or shorten the life of these expensive batteries if the charging cycle is interrupted in any way :confused:
You need not worry about short/partial charges; a partial charge counts only as a partial charge.

LibertySegway
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
It is only the older nickels that have a memory. Short charges should do no harm to the Li-ons. Just make sure to keep'em plugged in when not in use. Longer periods of no charging is where you will have issues, which is the opposite for the nickels. I've had a pair of nickels sit off charge for a month at a time with no ill effects. I don't have an off board charger so I just swap out my batteries on one of my Segs every 30 days or to keep them alive. Also doing a deep cycle of running the batteries down slowly and recharging is good for the nickels but not needed for the li-ons.

Mr_Laurenzano
11-29-2008, 01:10 AM
It is only the older nickels that have a memory. Short charges should do no harm to the Li-ons. Just make sure to keep'em plugged in when not in use. Longer periods of no charging is where you will have issues, which is the opposite for the nickels. I've had a pair of nickels sit off charge for a month at a time with no ill effects. I don't have an off board charger so I just swap out my batteries on one of my Segs every 30 days or to keep them alive. Also doing a deep cycle of running the batteries down slowly and recharging is good for the nickels but not needed for the li-ons.

Three in the bag
Four that I leave here and there
#36, 12 days of Christmas Chours and second Chours. Curb Hopping Gliders...will front the lead.
Crash
!Drain your battery!~Wash~ Reap ~eat!~

KSagal
11-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Many of us on a long glide, may stop for a coffee or chat. We plug in for a half hour or so... Then go on our way. It just adds a bit of range, does no damage at all...

Pawsboy
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation LibertySegway :thumbsup:and also thanks Karl for giving a real world example:thumbsup:. I'll take your advice and proceed to juice up whenever I can/want without feeling like I'm doing something wrong (It's just those batteries are so darn expensive).

MTOBATTERY
12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Don't let Karl fool you. His chat time equates to a full charge :)