PDA

View Full Version : Segway brakelight

nickyboy
11-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Found this on You Tube. Looks neat, I especially like the full width LED version.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVmWMKqvUY

Bob.Kerns
11-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Way cool!

I'd like to see a backup light, too. Both as a warning for anyone following too close, and for illumination purposes. That would be seriously harder to do.

Bill Seright
11-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Is there a link anywhere to who manufactures or sells these?

William Seright

jgbackes
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Me too, me too! I need, I want, I'll Buy!

Bob.Kerns
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Me too, me too! I need, I want, I'll Buy!

Why? (Asked in a tone of curiosity, not dispute).

The reason most obvious to me, would be so pedestrians following too close don't run into you if you stop suddenly. But it's so low, I doubt anyone close enough for that to be a concern would see it.

Maybe cars? Because we can stop faster than they can?

But I'm speculating; I'd like to hear your reasons.

It looks cool. I'm not generally inclined to buy on grounds of appearance, but it's tempting me...

jgbackes
11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
On group glides it would be nice to not have to use hand signals... But mainly because it looks cool ;)

KSagal
11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I believe there may be a factor of the unintended consequence...

I do not know how this device is made, I would guess that if I wanted to make one, I might use a mercury switch or other balance sensitive switch to turn on the light...

Since there are no brakes to speak of on a segway, as a device that is engaged to slow the device down, there can be no brake light.

Much of segway right of way legislation deals with the fact that segways are not vehicles. Segways with their gliders are not vehicles with drivers, but rather pedestrians with enhancement.

If we start adding brake lights, then we start to go into a zone that is reserved for vehicles. If we act too much like vehicles, we may soon find ourselves treated like vehicles. This is very different from the space we occupy now, which is between vehicle and walking...

The unintended consequence may very well be that we now have to use these lights, and act like everyone else that has brake lights...

jkzulu
11-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi Karl,

you are absolutely right in your focuse not to stress the attention on SEGWAY beeing a vehicle. Unfortunately we in Germany, and its a German product you where talking about, have a good portion of rules. That comes from nice save insurance network, so any phooops will be sanctioned and somebody is paying.

Therfore in Hesse state, we received the legal certificate to use the road 1 month ago. But .... in Hesse state SEGWAY is a "VEHICLE".

Means:
Memeber under the law of wehicle saftey equipment, means ..

- white light to the front plus reflector white
- red light to the back plus reflector red
- yello reflectors on the moving wheel disk part to right and left
- serial number to read on the front/right without tolls accessable
- serial ID label about producer, model, number
- insurance plate on the back/left
- Wheels to be certified for stability
- tires with European Stamp and minimum profile 1mm and
no closed non-profiled circlepath

Actual no brakelight obligation, as for 20 km/h speed not required.
(As mini-motocycle)

So we are using our own designed wheels. 5mm chrome-plated steel
made disk with rim from VESPA and scooter tires to be repaired and
changed from everybody. Available profile from slick to off-road,
so our lates I2 has wheel performance near to the X2.

Anyhow thats a short shot from Germany, Hesse, where my friends made
that mentioned backlight. Website is in the video.

We will surprise you with more nice options in short time.

English speaking questions better with me as the producer in not so tough in
english.

I am distribuor for south of Frankfurt area, they are north of Frankfurt and
we collaborate in terms of optionals.

regards to all
Jens (jkzulu)

KSagal
11-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Jens,

Thank you for your comments.

I wish you luck with your future plans.

I look forward to seeing other nice items that you produce...

I think that others will be curious to see what you have, and if you could make it for them...

Glide happy, keep smiling...

Bob.Kerns
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
no closed non-profiled circlepath

Jens, thanks for the info. I wish I were as fluent in either of my two foreign languages as you in English!

But I didn't quite understand the phrase above. I don't think it's so much a language barrier as not having enough context to understand the intent.

Are they saying the wheels have to have open spokes? The closed nature of the i2 wheels makes them safer! But it wouldn't be the first time safety rules ignored safety...

jkzulu
11-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi Bob,

thanks for your warm wellcome.

I must confess during writing about that particular part I was not sure either,
if anybody is able to get the point.

Let me explain...

According to German legal rules the tire must have a consistent layout
of surface with certain grooves to make water flowing away and avoid
"Aquaplanning" (tumbelning on wet roads). First ascpect is a minimum deepness of 1 mm grooves for motocycles and 1.6 mm for car tires.

Secondly ther shall not be any line, if you create a full circle once arround the tire on the surface which is touching the street, which has no grooves.

Both SEGWAY tires I2 and X2 has a middle section, running continously arround the tire, which has not any groove. So the outmoststanding point
touching the road has no water drain possibility.

Of course the structure right and left of that middle line is nicely structured, but according to the German law there is no one cirlce line allowed, which is ungrooved.

Uuugh, that was hard to be explaind. I hope you could get the message guys. Thanks for your interest.

About the wheel generally in Germany any kind of load and stability proof is required. So I2 wheel coming with plastic rim does not show up well under the examination of the technical scientist. Also report of a lot of customers having problems with unbalacing of the I2 wheels after a heavy bump against the next curb is raising stability questions. But its just Hesse state yet and might be resolved with the Germanwide national solution announced for March 2009. Untill that ...

We are on the road with 5 SEGWAY here in Darmstadt and 12 SEGWAY in Friedberg (north of Frankfurt)

All with light system, number plates, tires and wheels according to the law,
ringing bell, reflectors and so on. We try to get some tour bussiness as
here the pricing is awfull. Basic I2 is 6500 Euro net, 7700 Euro with taxes
means 9800 USD. So market is not willingly to take it easy. So renting might
be better.

Warm regards from cold Germany across the big sea.

Jens

KSagal
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Excellent explanation. Thank you.

Good luck and fun gliding...

Bob.Kerns
11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Jens, thanks for the explanation -- it was very clear indeed.

I don't think the law is written in the best way possible. A narrow line (a few mm) isn't a problem for water to escape, and I would think (though I'm not a tire expert!) that it would offer advantages for lateral stability, as well as a smoother ride.

In general, it's better policy to establish minimum performance standards, rather than specify how those standards should be met.

That's why laws objecting to Segways because they don't have friction brakes are nuts. What Segways do have (dynamic braking) is better than friction brakes. A stopping-distance standard or braking deacceleration standard would be much more sensible.

Anyway, welcome to Segway Chat. I hope the pricing issue gets better for you. Maybe after all this economic mess shakes out, the dollar will be weaker and give you better pricing.