PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new member here and a new Segway owner

Bri
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello All:

Well I just bought my Segway less than an hour ago... still in the box. I can't wait to get home and charge it up!!!.

The guys at SK Northwest really came through for me on this Segway. They met the best price I could find so they stand behind there promise and delt with me fair and square. Chris Hale is the guy there who helped me out. Don't forget your checkbook though because they only go up to $2 K on the credit cards :)

Thanks again SK Northwest, Brian

Suzined
10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Some time ago I did a credit card transaction with SKNorthwest and, like you, got turned down. So I called USAA Federal Savings (my bank and card issuer) and they did something electronic at their end and the charge was approved. If you have a tight relationship with your bank--I've been with USAA since 1959--things can get done. Longevity, not worth, counts for a great deal in banking.

LibertySegway
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Welcome. Hope all your glides are long and happy ones! :)

Bob.Kerns
10-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Some time ago I did a credit card transaction with SKNorthwest and, like you, got turned down. So I called USAA Federal Savings (my bank and card issuer) and they did something electronic at their end and the charge was approved. If you have a tight relationship with your bank--I've been with USAA since 1959--things can get done. Longevity, not worth, counts for a great deal in banking.

Gee, I didn't know there were any banks still around from back then! (grin).

(Yes, I know that's not really true, it just seems that way these days).

Generally speaking, you don't need a special relationship with your bank. Mostly, they're trying to avoid fraud, and calling them up and verifying with them that you really are you, really making that charge, is good enough, so long as the charge is plausibly within your capability to pay.

(I don't know exactly how they decide that last part, but obviously your history is a part of it. But it's likely considerably more than your normal limit, if you've been paying OK).

I had to go a few times around with Amex before they were able to process the charge for my Segway order, because they kept getting confused about how to actually make it happen, but eventually they got it straightened out.

I'd been through the process a few times for other large purchases (not just with Amex), so I was sort of expecting the initial denial.

I've also, on occasion, called up to arrange for the approval in advance. (That was a long time ago).

Bri
10-29-2008, 11:59 AM
THanks for the welcome :)
The first 12 hour charge is done and it's ready to operate very soon :) I just need to find my inch pound torque wrench and my low pressure tire gage and I'll be segwaying around. FUNNNNNNN :)

KSagal
10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
have fun! welcome!

Bri
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
The first day of driving the Segway was a success. I put on about 10 miles of very hilly driving today and it worked great. It would be nice if it went faster. It had a little trouble on some of the steep roads. It never crapped out on me. What a fun machine this is.

Bri.

DaveA
10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
It would be nice if it went faster.
You hear that from time to time around SC, but not from me. The first few months I had my i2 I fell pretty hard on several occasions - usually doing dumb things, but a couple of times because I didn't know where to look for hazards yet.

12-and-a-half mph is the fastest I want to go on a machine that'll dump me if I do something stupid.

Roland
10-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Welcome Brian!

There are a few of us in the Seattle area with Segways and we've been getting together sometimes - check your PM.

Roland.

Pawsboy
10-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome Brian!

There are a few of us in the Seattle area with Segways and we've been getting together sometimes - check your PM.

Roland.

Yes, welcome Brian!

I'm another Seattle commuter like Roland. I'm finding it pays to become aquainted with other Segway owners. If I would have met Roland before the summer I could have saved myself $500 in repairs. Let us know if your i2 starts to make grinding noises after a few hundred miles. It's an easy and common repair you can do yourself for $20 and 20 minutes of time.:D

Greg

SLong
11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Wow..... Sounds like there's enough people up in the Seattle are to start a Segway Polo team!

Bri
11-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Cool, sounds good, I'm a regular do it yourselfer so I'll be looking for that kind of thing when stuff needs fixed :)

Roland
11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow..... Sounds like there's enough people up in the Seattle are to start a Segway Polo team!

I'm sure hoping we can get polo going up here!

LibertySegway
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm sure hoping we can get polo going up here!

That would be cool. It is the funnest thing you can do on two wheels. :D

Go GoldRush!

Bob.Kerns
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
That would be cool. It is the funnest thing you can do on two wheels. :D

Go GoldRush!

Dunno, I think I'd like to witness Bicycle Polo!

Oh, you said "funnest", not "funniest"! :rolleyes:

...still looking to catch a live match...