PDA

View Full Version : Columbus, OH 2008 Segway owner with bald tires already

Bobber
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello from Columbus Ohio. I am posting this so I qualify to send messages to individual members. My specific interest at the moment is regarding new tires and tubes for my i2. At 2500 miles, my current tires are bald beyond compare and winter is on its way.

I ride my Seg everyday to work, at work and from work to home as well as for errands and grocery shopping. It is my principle form of transportation. I have a van but rarely use it since I am politically motivated to practice what I believe. And, what I believe is alternative energy sources are our only salvation for ourselves, our planet and our economy. If we don't get our minds around this fact, we're going to have a depression like no other with many cold winters to survive.

At work, I glide to more than a few different buildings on campus. And, our campus buildings are unusually suited for this since they are of an industrial quality with many overhead doors, ramps and service elevators.

This is a bit about myself. Now, if I interest you, post to this thread.

Bobber

bentbiker
10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
At 2500 miles, my current tires are bald beyond compare and winter is on its way.
That sounds about right for a pair of tires. Are you aware that you can get replacement tires from your dealer for about $40 each? There is a great how-to video at http://www.TexasSegway.com/ under Videos/Flat-Tire-Repair.

Bobber
10-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks much for the information. I see many posts about aftermarket tires and wondered if they offer better traction, economy and safety than do the originals. I haven't checked in with my local dealer yet as he always seems to be closed when I am in the neighborhood. I guess I'll have to call him for a quote.

Since you were so nice to respond to my post, what are your thoughts on aftermarket tires?

Bobber

bentbiker
10-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Since you were so nice to respond to my post, what are your thoughts on aftermarket tires?Personally, I like the non-marking nature of the original tires and I don't spend much time off pavement. The aftermarket tires will probably give you greater mileage, but not many fit without shaving them or moving the fenders. Just not worth the tradeoffs for me. Early reports from snow country (Canada) were that the Gen2 tires compare favorably in snow to trials type tires. Also, the wheels and tires are molded to fit together.

KSagal
10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I have used and liked some after market tires in the past, but getting some to fit the i2 is rather difficult...

I currently run the ett Michelins that were available for the Gen 1.

I am curious about a comment that the gen 2 tires, as smooth as they are, can be better than trials tires, with their large rubber lugs... I had not heard that, and find it difficult to imagine...

I will say, that the trials will definitely bring in more road grime however, if you go from outside to inside...

I have not heard if the Gen 2 ett tire was ever released... That would be something worth looking into...

Bobber
10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I really didn't mean to make this a tire thread but I do wish you to clarify something. When you say, "ett Michelins that were available for the Gen 1," are you referring to MICHELIN Starcross MS2 Front 60/100 14's mounted on an i2? If not, please correct my erroneous inference. If I am correct, did you have to adjust the tire or the fender for a proper 'non-rubbing' fit?

KSagal
10-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I really didn't mean to make this a tire thread but I do wish you to clarify something. When you say, "ett Michelins that were available for the Gen 1," are you referring to MICHELIN Starcross MS2 Front 60/100 14's mounted on an i2? If not, please correct my erroneous inference. If I am correct, did you have to adjust the tire or the fender for a proper 'non-rubbing' fit?

No, you may not know it, but the original Gen 1s had custom Michelins that had a smooth tread, and were made of silicone, not rubber. They were made for the segway, as far as I know.

They also offered at the time, another Michelin tire in the size you mentioned, that seemed to also be made for Segway, that was rubber, and had a more aggressive tread.

It was not nearly as aggressive as the Starcross, which is more of a mud or dirt tire. This is more like a street tire for your car, wide flat lugs made up of a dozen tiny lugs with larger valleys around them...

Those are what I have on my i2. I have not found any aftermarket tire that I can mount on my i2 that without fender problems.

There is a tire that is only sold in Europe that seems to fit. Some of the guys in California seem to have had them sent to them, but the cost is very high. I have not seen them in person, but the reports are favorable.

I found an old picture from the earlier forum, that shows the tires I am speaking of...

http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/segchat/KSagal/NewTire1.JPG

The tire that is on the left is a worn example of what I have on my i2 now. (I have gone thru a couple sets of these in the last five years) but it at least shows you the type of tread I am speaking of... The center tire happens to be a moped tire that I had on my gen 1 for a short time. I have not tried it on my i2, but I suspect it may be too tall, and I was not that impressed with it anyway. The rubber was too hard, and had less traction than the standard segway tire, even though it has more tread. I am sure it would go much farther without much wear, as it is harder rubber and designed for more speed and load.

jgbackes
10-14-2008, 01:01 AM
jrwilcox and I have run "IRC-128 GS-45F 2.50-14 MX" tires on an i2 without any modifications. The work very well, but the will mark up carpet.

There is a nice list of tire on the wiki (http://social.segway.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tire_Guide) if you haven't looked there yet you should.

Bobber
10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I wish to thank all who offered me advice. Tonight I purchased two Seg i2 originals at a cost of $41.59 each. These should get me through the winter and I may switch back to my slicks come next summer just for kicks. I can't believe I haven't had a puncture since I work at a small art college where we have all sorts of sharp debris to be found not only on the floors but the couch cushions as well. I take care of the dorms there among other things. And, believe me when I tell you that marking up the carpeting a little (what little we have) is the least of the types of cleaning and repairing I do on a daily basis. I'll have to tell you about my experiences sometime cause it's just a hoot and a half and then some.

Though I've not posted, I've done much reading and was aware of some of the tire info related (eg. original gen 1 tire make up and such) but you have definitely focused some of my thoughts on the matter. I knew about the funky-move tire offer but am still unclear as to just how much people were paying to get them into their hands. I also wonder what the IRC tire looks like. Does anybody have a picture of it to share?

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for me to say (and be sure to tell me if I've crossed some sand line) but, for my part, I think it best to close off this thread in favor of posting to some more pertinent forums. I do thank you for making my introduction easy and the welcoming warm and friendly.

Bobber

lyjg0108
01-10-2009, 01:31 AM
The Columbus Segway Dealer Jared is....

Karl Sagal is....

So what is wrong with your tires being bald?

C3RS
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I knew about the funky-move tire offer but am still unclear as to just how much people were paying to get them into their hands. I also wonder what the IRC tire looks like. Does anybody have a picture of it to share?

http://123pneu.com/
use the "pneu moto" section (motocycle tire) and enter 80/80-14 and hit "search" (recherche).

and you can view the picture of all tire in a mid resolution scale... ;)

On other way, this thread (in French) show the tires pictures: http://forum.toutsurlesegway.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=493

bentbiker
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13972/normal_tires_tread_comparison.jpg

If you search the photo gallery here for "IRC", you will get plenty of pictures of this tire.

Bob.Kerns
01-11-2009, 04:29 AM
The Columbus Segway Dealer Jared is....

Karl Sagal is....

So what is wrong with your tires being bald?

It's too hard to keep a hat on your tires.