PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Syracuse, NY

JWColucci
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
HI, I'm a brand new member with a new i2 that we purchased in Buffalo. I've starting commuting to work just 3/4 a mile - but all hills. My goal is to not use any gas getting to/from work except for when there is snow... which in Syracuse may be 6 months out of the year :-)

I'm also very active in local political campaigns and used it in a parade last weekend.

krauzac
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Welcome JW,
I'm in Utica, just had my used i167 (1st Gen) model delivered yesterday. If I had my Seg while at my old job at Utica City Hall, I'd be riding it in Parades also.
My wife will use this one for her work commute also, uphill all the way to, and down on the home trip. Hope the Regeneration Charge going downhill helps.

JWColucci
09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I made it into work today - down hill most of the way - but I kept going way to fast and hopping off of it - does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely go down hills? or how to safely dismount when you are going too fast?
I managed to get to work just fine yesterday - but today not so good...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jgbackes
09-24-2008, 05:22 PM
If the batteries are fully charged it's hard for the Segway to get rid of the extra energy that won't go into the batteries.

JRWilcox has to go up hill for a while to start his glide.

Also, just slow down going down hill. The newer machines go MUCH slower down hill than the old gen1s. When JRWilcox and I go gliding, he beats me going up hills, I catch up going down.

bentbiker
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I made it into work today - down hill most of the way - but I kept going way to fast and hopping off of it - does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely go down hills? or how to safely dismount when you are going too fast?
Can you explain? If the batteries can't take the regenerated power from braking, the LSF should rotate back and force you to stop leaning the platform so far forward. There should be no reason to hop off; and as far as I'm concerned, there is no good/safe way to hop off while moving -- it's tough to not tilt the LSF when you do so.

Some people don't start off will a fully charged battery to avoid this problem. My suggestion is to slow down and enjoy the view. Are you sure that at no point will it allow you to go downhill at 12.5 mph? If not, it usually means that either the hill is quite steep, or the rider "has a large frame" and his body weight is causing considerable regeneration.

jgbackes
09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
<snip>, or the rider "has a large frame" and his body weight is causing considerable regeneration.

Hey bentbiker.... did you just call me fat ;)

cmonkey
09-24-2008, 08:32 PM

If the hill is steep, then the easiest way to go down is:
A) move your feet back so your heels are just hanging off the edge of the platform.
B) Start off slow, and practice speeding up and slowing down while going down the hill.

If you start on a hill with your feet in the middle, or forward, it's very easy to get that out of control feeling as the handlebar will be in a different position relative to level gliding.

Eventually you'll find yourself adjusting your feet automatically for the different grades you may be on.

Uphill = feet forward
Downhill = feet back

It just takes a little getting used to.

Mamrax
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
It can't go to fast and jumping off is just wrong. If it's to fast to be comfortable put it in beginner mode until you are comfortable. I try to push mine going downhill and it keeps pushing me back. Looking at the key I'm going 12.8 mph. If you feel you are going to fast just lean back and stop or slow down. Don't dismount when its moving.. your just asking for alot of hurt!

Bob.Kerns
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM

I have an i2. I ride it up and down hills steeper than I'm really comfortable being on in any mode -- car, foot, or Segway. But the Segway does fine.

You know about the speed limiter, right? When the infokey gets that not-so-happy face that indicates the speed limiter is kicking in -- you want to go slower. On a really steep hill, you may need to go 3 mph to keep it happy. Trying to go faster is eventually going to overwhelm it. I don't know what happens then, and I'm not interested in finding out with my i2 or my body.

So if the stick pushes back, pay attention and shift your weight backward, and take it slower. It WILL slow down, and it WILL be happy at some slower speed. Learn to respect that speed.

As cmonkey pointed out, it may be easier to keep your weight back if you move your feet. I'm very tall and come with a large backpack, so I don't find it necessary, but it does make it a bit more comfortable.

I suggest practicing going up and down a bit, slowly, and stopping and standing.

JWColucci
09-25-2008, 06:48 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions... I'll try it with the feet further back tonight - I have only had my segway for 4 days now so too fast for me is way less than 12.5 mph :-) I'm still learning and getting comfortable on it.