PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Kerbs: Everyday Approach v1.0 (e167 vs 3 inch kerb)

gbrandwood
09-22-2008, 06:24 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6-8_36QnQ

Bob.Kerns
09-22-2008, 09:30 AM
You really enjoy letting go of your e167, don't you? :)

I was on some nice soft grass yesterday (I'd just taken off my daughter's training wheels). So I let go of my i2, just to watch what would happen (I realized I'd never done it before).

It did the expected, of course. I don't suppose you need a caveat of "don't let go if you don't have an e167"?

gbrandwood
09-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Ha ha! You didn't see the out-takes. On the dismount kerb section - it took 3 or 4 attempts to let go in the right place because the pavement on the kerb edge dips slightly. This means the e takes its time to enter e-stand mode and balances dangerously close to the edge.

jgbackes
09-24-2008, 05:18 PM
You know, 3", the seg will climb that... You have a helmet on, give it a try... 1 MPH, bend your knees, jump just a little and up it will go...

Never try anything taller unless you're on an X series. You should see what Steve Steinberg of "Segway of Oakland" fame can do!

Just make sure you are filming it when you practice... Oh and if (when) you fall - roll.

quade
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Holy cow. Ok, I know what you're trying to do, but if I had ever seen that video before buying my Segway, I think I seriously would have reconsidered just because you've made it look so dang freekin' time consuming.

Show me how to do it almost without breaking stride.

gbrandwood
09-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Quade - It's a little slower on an e-series. Okay, I probably could have done it a little quicker - especially once in PA mode, but if I demonstrated on a regular i series in riderless balance mode, then it would be much smoother and quicker. I don't have any other machine at the moment but some people have offered in another thread to either film it for me or loan me access to a machine.

gbrandwood
09-25-2008, 07:21 AM
You know, 3", the seg will climb that... You have a helmet on, give it a try... 1 MPH, bend your knees, jump just a little and up it will go...

Never try anything taller unless you're on an X series. You should see what Steve Steinberg of "Segway of Oakland" fame can do!

Just make sure you are filming it when you practice... Oh and if (when) you fall - roll.
Jeff - I know (http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=20366)! :) I like the "roll if you fall" advice though. 1 mph might be a bit slow though.

jgbackes
09-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I saw your other video after I had posted. This is good stuff, thanks for taking the time. You might want to add a link to your site from the WIKI.

gbrandwood
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Holy cow. Ok, I know what you're trying to do, but if I had ever seen that video before buying my Segway, I think I seriously would have reconsidered just because you've made it look so dang freekin' time consuming.

Show me how to do it almost without breaking stride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vPxUOYc20

Still, everyday or advanced approach is miles quicker.

homey
11-01-2009, 02:53 AM
i must be twice your age and i wouldn't have even slowed down for that first crack in the pathway :eek: you are an embarrassment to the cause. is this really how you guys navagate those i2's? and who spells Curbs with a K anyway. if you really can't bend your knees a little and hop that with those little wheeled ones then do what i do when i take the upside of a real mans curb. spin around on approch, back in and step off on the high ground. drag the seg up under it's own power. step back on and spin again with a little style and don't let people see you looking like that... it's really bad pub for Segway. do one more vid and do it right, if not just drive full throttle into that cactus patch for me please.

geeez dude... is that nitro glycerine in those tankers or what
ROFL

gbrandwood
11-01-2009, 07:05 AM
i must be twice your age and i wouldn't have even slowed down for that first crack in the pathway :eek: you are an embarrassment to the cause. is this really how you guys navagate those i2's? and who spells Curbs with a K anyway. if you really can't bend your knees a little and hop that with those little wheeled ones then do what i do when i take the upside of a real mans curb. spin around on approch, back in and step off on the high ground. drag the seg up under it's own power. step back on and spin again with a little style and don't let people see you looking like that... it's really bad pub for Segway. do one more vid and do it right, if not just drive full throttle into that cactus patch for me please.

ROFLHomey - thanks for your comment :rolleyes:

Looking back - the whole video is very slow and conservative - and perhaps "everyday" approach is not the right word. In the "real world" I hop up and down that kerb (spelt with a k - because that's the British English way of spelling it 'dude', and 'jeez' is how I'd spell what you spell 'geeze'). The video was a general approach - to be applied to kerbs of any size. Plus, it was slow in particular to accompany the narrative in my Segway Code guide. Plus plus, the machine is an e167, which has some special characteristics with which you may not be famililar.

But you know what, if you tried to hop up that kerb on an i2, you may clip the edge with your batteries. Which could send you flying - into a cactus patch if there was any about. I know this because I've done the same on my i2 which has a much lower ground clearance than the 167 in the video. Maybe if your tyre pressure was properly topped up and you aren't too heavy - and you pick the perfect speed, you might get away with it. I got away with it often but not all the time - especially in the winter.

I did do some other videos with different ways of doing it. There's another method I prefer now as well which I should add.

Why not upload your video?

homey
11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
OK good you are still here :p

that sounds fun! and you got me on geeez as i don't like reference to Jesus my Lord an savior. maybe geezer still applies here :D i will accept your video challenge on curb navigation.

Sorry i didn't know anything about that seg you ride... except it stands still :eek: that's kinda cool!

now about that cactus patch in your first video post? if not cactus what are those 4 foot high green things?

gbrandwood
11-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry i didn't know anything about that seg you ride... except it stands still :eek: that's kinda cool!To be honest, sometimes I take it slow to see it stand there all by itself. I love not having to worry about a kickstand! The estand is cool. Wish I had my i2 when I made the videos though. They'd be more relevant to everyone else. Now, on my x2, I wouldn't even feel the presence of that particular kerb :)

KSagal
11-02-2009, 12:38 AM

ROFL

There are all kinds of things wrong with this post, but it is still the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a long time. I was actually laughing out loud..

Thanks for posting.

homey
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-7dvoMC30

ok bro... i'm sorry, i bow to the master :o

i seen all your vids on the net now ;) you're actually scaring me in this one. how is it you have so many units? oh wait you are dealer too?

i will still do a video but it won't be as good as yours because i dont have any edit software nor will anyone come hold my camera in 40 degree weather and it only has a 4 inch tripod LOL. you do nice slow motion and repetitive cutaways, can you teach me how to make decent vids like these mr. bwood ... please?

ps... if that was nitro in your tankers you be blow to crap right now ^^

gbrandwood
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-7dvoMC30

ok bro... i'm sorry, i bow to the master :o

i seen all your vids on the net now ;) you're actually scaring me in this one. how is it you have so many units? oh wait you are dealer too?

i will still do a video but it won't be as good as yours because i dont have any edit software nor will anyone come hold my camera in 40 degree weather and it only has a 4 inch tripod LOL. you do nice slow motion and repetitive cutaways, can you teach me how to make decent vids like these mr. bwood ... please?

ps... if that was nitro in your tankers you be blow to crap right now ^^
I just have an e167 and x2 at the moment. I had an i2 for a while but sold it before getting the e. I'm not a dealer but I'm looking at doing something (anything :)) where I can justify owning lots and lots of Segways!

As for the video, I just used the built in Windows Movie Maker software (part of XP) and my old SD camcorder (which is now broken due, I think, to transporting it in one of my "tankers" along with the bricks in them used to help the e-series balance by itself). Post your video on-line so we can all see it.

homey
11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I just have an e167 and x2 at the moment. I had an i2 for a while but sold it before getting the e. I'm not a dealer but I'm looking at doing something (anything :)) where I can justify owning lots and lots of Segways!

As for the video, I just used the built in Windows Movie Maker software (part of XP) and my old SD camcorder (which is now broken due, I think, to transporting it in one of my "tankers" along with the bricks in them used to help the e-series balance by itself). Post your video on-line so we can all see it.

ok i'ma gona wake Dalila up from her winter rest and scope a good curb tomorrow. a curbs point of view will be silly but its as good a reason to glide one more day as any :p i will take a look at 'movie maker' if i can find it because i always dump that from the programs list when i reformat my comps.... thanks mr wood

homey
11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnr3X7H011k

ok that was FUN... what else can we do?:thumbsup:

gbrandwood
11-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Great! I respect the fact you followed through. Plus, your technique is what I actually do now (not shown in my video) but in reverse.

Cheers Big Ears!

homey
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
i'm really sorry i don't know how to credit or reply to your vids on u-tube, i'm all thumbs with that. you won't be offended if i say i was having trouble fighting back the urg to post this video reply... if i only knew how LOL ---> you tosser hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8byQsugFw

Bob.Kerns
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM

You know, I knew there was a reason I don't do that, and when I tried it yesterday just because I'd seen your video, I quickly remembered why.

I think this is a gen-1 vs gen-2 thing.

If you pull it up from behind, and one tire slips (which tends to happen for larger curbs), then it twists the leansteer to worsen, not help, the imbalance. It makes the whole operation unstable.

Better to dismount on the curb, then flip it around, let it roll past you, and then step back on.

I don't think this would affect gen-1s.