PDA

View Full Version : First Segway in Sacramento

Superdaddy
09-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Hello

I just bought an i2 and can't wait to go for a glide. I work about one mile from home to my desk and where I would park if I drove is about a half mile to my desk. I plan to ride all the way to my desk, unless told otherwise.

Hope security is friendly.

pam
09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
That's been my case, one mile from garage to desk. My boss is happy I'm not taking space in the parking lot (since they're all torn up right now, due to construction).
Pam

Bob.Kerns
09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Welcome!

But you're not the first Segway in Sacramento. (Unless you mean this is YOUR first Segway in Sacramento).

The current world champion Segway Polo team is based in Sacramento.
Check out the Sacramento Segway Enthusiasts Group website (http://www.sacseg.com/).

I'm not associated--I live in Marin--but it's fun (and sometimes useful) to connect with other local Segway owners.

I ride a couple miles to the ferry, and about a quarter mile from the ferry to my desk. Or sometimes I drive myself and Segway to my daughter's school, park, and go to the ferry from there, so I can pick her up after work. I'll probably park at the ferry terminal when the weather is bad. But to drive would be about a 45-minute trip each way, with none of the fun and exercise of Segway riding, nor any of the productive time and relaxation of the ferry ride.

Superdaddy
09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, you are correct. This is my first one, I found it on craigslist. It has one bad battery, yeah the rear one. I sent it off to be zapped and hope it will bounce back to life.

I work in a office where there are about 6,000 employees and security can get a little picky sometimes. The unwritten rules seem to change often. I haven't seen any other Segway owners but I don't really want to create a reason for them to "have a meeting" over it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

LibertySegway
09-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Welcome Superdaddy. Gold luck with the security guy. A good strategy is offering a sample ride. Works like a charm! The other thing is to give everyone else 'right of way' and always proceed slowly so as not to pose a threat.

You can find us (GoldRush) most Saturday mornings at Camden Park in Elk Grove and some Thursday evenings at Prospect Hill park in Gold River (Rancho). We also get together for occasional group glides. Bob already plugged our website (thanks Bob). You are welcome to stop by anytime. You can just hang out and watch or we can slap a mallet in your hand and show you some real fun!

Superdaddy
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I just got my battery back last night and took my first ride. My i2 only had 62 miles on it and from what I read it is not resettable so that makes me feel really good about my purchase.

I look forward to gliding with you all in the Sacramento area now.

:D

LibertySegway
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Why not join us tomorrow at 10am at Camden Park in Elk Grove? It is a beautifully smooth field. Just the place to swing that mallet for the first time. :)

We were on Fox 40 sports last night. Getting to be local celebs! If you've got nothing better to do next Thursday (25th) why not join us at the Arden Fair Mall for KCRA's noon show? All our local GoldRush members will be there. Maybe we can do a little group glide afterwards too.

- Sherry #27

Go GoldRush!!!

Bob.Kerns
09-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Why not join us tomorrow at 10am at Camden Park in Elk Grove? It is a beautifully smooth field. Just the place to swing that mallet for the first time. :)

We were on Fox 40 sports last night. Getting to be local celebs! If you've got nothing better to do next Thursday (25th) why not join us at the Arden Fair Mall for KCRA's noon show? All our local GoldRush members will be there. Maybe we can do a little group glide afterwards too.

- Sherry #27

Go GoldRush!!!

I'm really confused by "next Thursday (25th)"!

Unfortunately, it's too far for me to make it anyway, but maybe you can clarify for the benefit of those a bit closer? Have a great time!

LibertySegway
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry. Its Thursday October 2nd for the KCRA gig. The 25th was Fox 40. :o

KSagal
09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
I just got back from a month in Delaware...

The client was a huge bank, using Wackenhut for security at this facility...

The hotel was about 4 miles each way distant from the site...

I went by segway after the first 2 days. I checked with security, and they had no experience, but also no problem at all. I glode into the small employee entrance lobby, shut it down, and walked it to the office. (parked it behind the door)

This may be the first time in many, many years that I went about 19 days without even starting my car! It sat in the hotel parking lot (In the 15 minute check-in zone) that whole time!

I am excited as it was the first time in 5 years that I had the opportunity to use my seg for a commute device for real... I liked it...

Bob.Kerns
09-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Are you gloating about how you glode to work? :)

I take mine to my desk, and it is indeed nice. I try not to involve my car, but when I must (to transport my daughter, or because of bad weather -- which hasn't happened yet), I now have a Segvator, which makes it much nicer -- but I still avoid the car.

t1perry
10-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Welcome Superdaddy

We will be meeting at the park Thursday Oct 9 @ 5:30 pm

We welcome new riders and invite you to meet new friends and maybe join in the games.

I'll send you a PM with phone numbers.
Ted

Superdaddy
10-06-2008, 06:40 AM
We will be meeting at the park Thursday Oct 9 @ 5:30 pm

Thanks for the invite, I'll have to pass for this week as I'm going to an event at the Anaheim Convention Center on Friday and Saturday so Thursday in a road day for me.

It sounds like it it is a weekly event, Ill try the next week but I'll call first.

Thanks

Steve

LibertySegway
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
It is actually a bi-weekly event. We generally get together every Thursday evening at Prospect and every Saturday morning at Camden. Ted can give you all the details. :)