PDA

View Full Version : A quick 'Slante' from Ireland

Wireczar
08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Just joined up and still trying to figure out how this website works. I live in County Donegal, Ireland and I think I am the only Segway owner up here. Gliding is lots of fun and someday I plan to circumnavigate Ireland. Anyone have any suggestions, comments on how to do such a long journey. Travel distance can easily exceed 1200 miles.
Again, helloo to all

Shawn H
08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Hello Wireczar and the county of Donegal. I visited there 10 years ago and will be coming back next summer. I can't wait, one of the most beautiful lands in the country. I wanted to move there after my last visit, who knows this time maybe I will buy!! The website is very easy to use, just read and if you have something to say just do a quick reply. There are more people here who can help you out more than I can, though. I would love to Glide Ireland, that would be like one of the best things in the world to do, especially with the narrow roads!! All the wonderful countryside to see makes me wish I was there now. Have a great time, enjoy the website, and keep gliding. Shawn H

Wireczar
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Shawn,
it's not that much fun when it rains and it rains A LOT here.
wireczar

Mr. Protocol
08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Dia duit, a Whirecair! Conas tá tú inniu? Tá mo Shegway anseo i Los Angeles. Ba mhaith liom é a usáil i nÉireann. Inis dom conas a dul sé ansin, le do thoil.

Gads, I hope I got that right. I've switched from Irish to Japanese lessons and the "seantheanga" is evaporating fast.

Wireczar
08-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Mr. Protocol,
So you live in the Neighborhood I hail from. I retired to Ireland from San Diego. Unfortunately I am German, so my Irish leaves much to be desired. Actually, I don't understand it at all, but my neighbor here is a fluent Irish speaker and was reasonably impressed with your comments. He thinks this is what you said: god bless, my Segway is here in Los Angeles. I would like to use it in Ireland. How do I get it here?.
If this is correct, please email me your phone# and I call you on my Skype to tell you. I HATE typing, too slow and awkward for me.
Wireczar aka Gary [8]

Mr. Protocol
08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, that may be what I said, but it's not what I meant to say. :-) "Dia duit" is literally "God (be) with you" but it's the standard way of saying "Hello" in Irish. I should really have said, next, "Ta Segway agam anseo i Los Angeles", "I have my Segway here in Los Angeles." The next part is, "I'd like to use it in Ireland. Tell me how it's going there, please."

I'd heard Segways were sort of out of the picture everywhere in the EU because of laws that say, in effect, "everything not compulsory on the roads is forbidden." Are you legally OK gliding in the Irish Republic? That's great news, if so.

Gihgehls
08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
More like Mr. Protocol Android, mirite?

Wireczar
08-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Legal??
I'm gliding in Donegal County since no one I know said it was illegal and some said it might not be legal, well, I consider it legal. The local Garda on the beat have stopped me, asked what this thing was and how it worked then went on their way with the comment 'just be careful'. A couple of them even got lessons in Gliding and now wish they could use it on their beat. So until somebody in power makes up their mind on classifying the Seg I am having fun anyway.
How's things in good old California? I used to live in San Diego until I retired.
Gary aka Wireczar

Mr_Laurenzano
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey There.
Crash

Mamrax
10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I know about weeks of sideways rain. But I would love to glide through the georgous contryside when it's not raining. I've got friends in Cork and Galway and plan on visiting soon.

Shawn,
it's not that much fun when it rains and it rains A LOT here.
wireczar

seglander
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Welcome Mr G.

Glad to see you found some of the online community. The lads and lassies here are very knowledgable and I am sure will be able to answer any questions that you may have. Unfortunately Gliding in the rain is fundamental to Segway use in Ireland.

As for legislation - well we shall keep banging our head against that wall until somthing gives.

Later

Martin
Segway Ireland
www.segway.ie

Bob.Kerns
10-21-2008, 02:03 PM
As for legislation - well we shall keep banging our head against that wall until somthing gives.

May your head grow stronger with each bang!

seglander
10-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Its fairly thick as it is http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/smilies1/mur.gif