PDA

View Full Version : [Iowa] Hello!

delugeia
08-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am an employee at Iowa State University (http://www.iastate.edu/) where I manage a group of web developers (no, we do not manage the main university site).

I actually don't own a Segway...yet. I've been looking at prices and options and am trying to get a feel for how usable one would be during our winter months (Dec - Feb). I'm considering waiting until next spring before purchasing so that I'd have a bigger "first season" with it.

If there are any other Iowans out there, please take a moment to give me a holler.

Thanks Bunches!

-- Jeff Sorensen, sorensen@iastate.edu

Sal
08-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Welcome Jeff!

I am sure that ppl from and around Iowa will say hello, but allow me to extend a hearty welcome to you...

This site is a wonderful place full of information and great people.

Stick around, I assure you, it'll be worth your while.

-Sal

SegSailor
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
While not an "Iowan", I just wanted to shout out a "Howdy" from Virginia! Welcome to Segway Chat!

SegSailor

Bob.Kerns
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
It's been many a decade since I lived in Iowa, but my suggestion is, get it now. If you wait, I'd bet you'll find yourself wishing you had gotten it sooner!

At least, that certainly was my thinking when I finally got one.

You've got a few months yet in this season, and then you'll be a "seasoned" rider (sorry), and ready to tackle the challenge of figuring out what you can and can't do with it in the winter. I'm sure others here can help you sort that out.

Segvator has a photo of a prototype Segway snow plow on their site. Obviously, some do use them in the winter, in some environments.

Shawn H
08-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome Jeff, I too am looking for my first Segway, just trying to get the money together to come up with one. I wouldn't wait either, although your doing the right thing as far as finding out all the information there is out there and finding the one that suits your needs. Always ask about what kind of batteries, how long they will hold a charge, condition of tires, how many keys come with it and do they all work, serial #, so that you can check with Segway as to the rightful owner and always take it for a test drive and look to make sure there's no wobble in the tires. This I've all learned in a couple of weeks since joining the chat group. Everyone is very helpful, so please post any questions you may have. Happy Hunting!! Shawn H

Cube128
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Hello there,

I'm an Iowan, and I'm actually a student at the University of Iowa, where I use my Segway on campus. I still believe that college campuses are a perfect environment for Segways, despite the responses you may get from a small but vocal minority of the student body.

I've had pretty good experiences using my Segway in our horrible winters. The Segway will handle a couple inches of snow without difficulty, and can deal with ice as long as you're careful. Of course, when we had about three inches of rock solid ice on the ground this past winter, that didn't really apply :D. If you intend to use it during the winter, make sure you have some place warm you can store it, otherwise I wouldn't leave it outside for more than a half hour or so if it's below freezing.

Send me a PM if you have any questions, or email me at shkolnick "at" gmail.com. If you want to buy, definitely stop by the Scheels in Des Moines and ask for Jeff, he can help you out.

falves
08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'm the other Glider from Iowa around here... :)

I just got back from Indianapolis where I was attending SegwayFesT 2008! It was a lot of fun. Jake was going to go with me, but couldn't at the last moment. Too bad Jake, you missed a good FesT...

Cheers,
Fernando

Sal
08-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Falves, didn't you win an award at the dinner???? ;)

-Sal

falves
08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I did. I won an award for being the first person to register (and pay) for SegFesT 2008. They must have had an extra ribbon to give away... :D

-F

charle
08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
welcome, to all
I too am looking for my first Segway, just trying to get the money together to come up with one. I wouldn't wait either, although your doing the right thing as far as finding out all the information there is out there and finding the one that suits your needs. Always ask about what kind of batteries, how long they can be maintained.
================================================== ========
charle

Apartments in North Charleston (http://www.bestapartmentsinnorthcharleston.com)