PDA

View Full Version : Segway Automobile...

Blinky
10-19-2002, 01:48 PM
What do you guys think the possibility is of Segway also producing a multi-passanger vehicle? Using some of the technology used in the Segway-HT.

Perhaps one that provides a very smooth ride. Think of the many pot holes in big cities, what damage would avoided to the vehicles inside components. Can't tell you how bad it is to drive a car in the city, especially trying to avoid pot-hole on narrow streets.

Might even be something to incorporate in limo's. All the rich folk could get their smooth ride from the airport to their Hotel/movie studio(whatever).

An idea.

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 04:22 PM
I think you would defeat its purpose. At the most maybe you could put a golf bag on the Segway but not another person. You would have to double the foot print of the device also double the capabilities of each component and instead of it being as wide as one person it now has to be as wide as two. They would not let it on the sidewalk if it was for two. I'll stick with one.[V]

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

What do you guys think the possibility is of Segway also producing a multi-passanger vehicle? Using some of the technology used in the Segway-HT.

Perhaps one that provides a very smooth ride. Think of the many pot holes in big cities, what damage would avoided to the vehicles inside components. Can't tell you how bad it is to drive a car in the city, especially trying to avoid pot-hole on narrow streets.

Might even be something to incorporate in limo's. All the rich folk could get their smooth ride from the airport to their Hotel/movie studio(whatever).

An idea.

JohnM
10-19-2002, 06:34 PM
http://eega.net/covers/w_fc/fc/w_os_0827_00.jpg
Anyone out there remember the Foomobile?

Weskfim, Smokey Stover was in the Trib years ago, up to the early 70's. Maybe a bit before your time.

Blinky
10-19-2002, 08:18 PM
JohnM, good find. Its looks very similar to the Segway-HT.

GlideMaster
10-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Yes JohnM it is before my time since I'm only fifty and then some.
And yes whatever that thing is it sure looks a lot like the Segway with all the trimmings. [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by JohnM

Weskfim, Smokey Stover was in the Trib years ago, up to the early 70's. Maybe a bit before your time.

Blinky
10-21-2002, 01:48 AM
Weskifm writes,..
quote:I think you would defeat its purpose. At the most maybe you could put a golf bag on the Segway but not another person. You would have to double the foot print of the device also double the capabilities of each component and instead of it being as wide as one person it now has to be as wide as two. They would not let it on the sidewalk if it was for two. I'll stick with one.
Had a busy weekend, I wanted to reply sooner to this. Your right, one passenger is better, but I was looking at the idea of incorporating the technology to an automobile-like vehicle.

And if there ever was anything made, your right, most likely not something you would want on a sidewalk. I'm not going to sit here and justify the idea of a dual passenger vehicle to be used on the sidewalk. How mundane would it look if I thought a Golf-cart is more useful than a Segway-HT. [B)]

your feedback on my original post is much appreciated!

Brooster
10-21-2002, 01:24 PM
LOL, the FooMobile! Man, I hadn't thought about that in years! Thanks for the great pic and the memory jog, JohnM.

Broo

Brooster

Blinky
10-23-2002, 07:52 PM
You guys remember the Nationial Geographic special they made about Dean Kamen and Segway. What were those cartoons about that they showed. I did not really pay that much attention to them.

I meant to ask this a while back, does anyone have those cartoons to post? Or know where to go to see them.

The post of the comic book cover reminded me of that, thanks again JohnM.

ftropea
10-24-2002, 12:40 PM
You know, when the "Ginger" book proposal first leaked.. we had an tatanlizing quote by Dean Kamen hinting at what Ginger was all about..

Basically he said that "we've all seen futuristic drawings and sketches" but that "the world had never seen anything like this."

It would be interesting to find out if any of his dad's Mad Magazine drawings ever depicted a Segway-like device. I asked my own father if he could recall any comics as a kid that the Segway reminded him of... he did recall many "personal transporters" or "people movers" from comics depicting futuristic cities.

If we ever get a comic collector on here.. perhaps we'll get an answer.

Regarding the topic, "Segway Automobile"... I don't look at the evolution of this product in those terms. Instead of getting "bigger" with all those addons.. an enclosure.. and fender.. windshield wipers and cupholder..

I'm thinking smaller, lighter... more transparent. Something closer to a pair of pants.. or a pair of sneakers.. and less like an SUV.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
10-26-2002, 01:47 PM
ftropea writes..
quote:Regarding the topic, "Segway Automobile"... I don't look at the evolution of this product in those terms. Instead of getting "bigger" with all those addons.. an enclosure.. and fender.. windshield wipers and cupholder..

I'm thinking smaller, lighter... more transparent. Something closer to a pair of pants.. or a pair of sneakers.. and less like an SUV.
If this is where the future is leading, does it sound possible that any of the unique technology used on the Segway-HT could possible be used on any future transportation.

I read a different post on this forum that the Sterling engine might be something down the line used on a Segway-HT. That would certainly be something for the car industry to look into, if they havn't already.

Casey
10-26-2002, 02:05 PM
The main argument I've seen against the use of Stirlings as a drive engine is that they must be run at a constant speed. IOW, they can't be controlled by a throttle for speed control. On Segways they would be used at constant speed to drive a battery charging system.

Blinky
10-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Casey writes...
quote:The main argument I've seen against the use of Stirlings as a drive engine is that they must be run at a constant speed. IOW, they can't be controlled by a throttle for speed control. On Segways they would be used at constant speed to drive a battery charging system.
Maybe the future of automobiles shouldn't be a "drive engine" type of device. I may sound a bit far fetched in saying that, but if there was an engine that could be beneficial to our environment and possibly keep more money in our pockets, maybe a new way of thinking about how we make (cars, trucks, etc) will change.

gigawatt6
05-10-2003, 10:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

gigawatt6
05-10-2003, 10:29 PM
A real Foo Mobile was built by Pete Schlatter from Francesville, Ind.
There was an article about it in the Jun 1978 Issue of Popular Science
page 118. He passed away 4 years ago. I spoke to his wife this morning
and she was very happy to hear that we still remenber the Foo Mobile that her husband built.

gigawatt6

drucilla
05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info gigawatt...I'm gonna try and find the article. Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing more posts. Are you thinking about purchasing a Segway HT? I have one here in Texas ,and I am a very proud owner. I glide as often as I can get away from an ordinarily busy routine...lol

What can I do, as just one person, to make the world a better place?..I can segway...

stevew
05-10-2003, 11:53 PM
With multiple passengers, how do you decide who does the weight shift to determine speed? If the driver leans forward, the passenger could lean backwards to slow the driver down. I wonder if it would be stable with two 'minds' in charge? I guess you could make it like the Ibot, where rider isn't required to balance but uses a joystick instead. (The Ibot can position the rider's center of gravity because it has a second rotatable axle above the wheels main axle.)

GadgetmanKen
05-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Blinky, I think a multible passenger HT would be nice and different. I was thinking something along the lines of Peter iNova's post on using his HT to power him on a set of roller blades. I still like that pic.
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2524&whichpage=2 Look for his Peter's Pic.

Something along the line of a driver standing on the HT and a towbar like device behind him attached to the platform. The towbar would then be attached to either a large wheel or set of in-line wheels where a rider or GLIDER can sit between the wheels and actually be towed around behind the HT. When the HT stops the Glider puts his/hers feet down to balance. A HT train could be then added by adding a towbar to each other.

Or you could do as Peter has by adding addition riders held on to each other using skates or roller blades creating a train. It would be the ultimate Hokey Pokey. :) (Roller Skating Party dance term)

I don't think a multiple rider side by side would work too well because each person would have different balance times and desires or fears of angles , weight distribution , etc. I know this for a fact from an accident I had years ago on a bicycle built for two. Even tho it was in tandem it still would be an issue, I think. We were at a campground. My cousin was over six feet tall and guiding the bike and I was on the back. He decided to go underneath a Gy-wire (wires angled to the ground on telephone poles for support) I didn't anticipate this maneuver. He leaned one way I the other which off balanced us and I ended up hitting the Gy-wire knocking me off the bike and breaking my shoulder blade in the process. Needless to say I spend the rest of my vacation and summer with a cast over my chest and shoulders.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"