07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi from Shavington in the UK.
I'm interested in going green and buying a Segway, but now I find
that they are illegal in the UK apart from when used on private
property !

What a government we have !

I saw that there's a thread about raising a petition for this and I've posted
a brief response there. The best way for petitions to the UK government
these days is via the government's own petitions web site.

gbrandwood
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
The best way for petitions to the UK government these days is via the government's own petitions web site.I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous repsonse (http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?p=176193#post176193) in relation to this point :)

Welcome to SegwayChat! Crewe isn't a million miles from Warrington :cool:

Depending on exactly how you intend to use a Segway, you might find you are able to still use one as desired. Lots of people do, as you'll know if you've read the petition thread.

The thing about the Goverment is, you can always count on not being able to count on them doing anything quickly!

mark1qhorsey
07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Heck they are still illegal in many municipalities of the 'ole USA, including mine. I share your pain. Only thing you can do is work to fix it, maybe a ride for a couple of MPs would help? (Then the PT is a big investment in lobbying). Good luck!

CovRob
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Ian & welcome.

Depends where you are as to how confident you might be gliding in public...my errands on my i2 have clocked up around 900 miles since buying 12 months ago...and I don't have that big a garden! :rolleyes:

Serously, there are some strenuous moves afoot to achieve some sort of road legal status in the UK in the not too distant future. It has been a long slog for those involved already and it won't occur overnight, but it's getting there.

SegSailor
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi, Ian, and WELCOME! Glad that you are joining the fight for better, cleaner transportation, not to mention more responsive government! You'll find a lot of moral support from here 'across the pond'!

BarryT
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Ian, welcome, welcome, welcome!!

KSagal
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Welcome Ian... (Nice name... :rolleyes:)

I live in Massachusetts, the state right next to where segways are made, the factory is 40 miles or so from my home...

Massachusetts has no laws about segways at all. Here, that does not make them legal, but neither does it make them illegal. We fall into a gray area... In the United States, for the most part, if it is not illegal, it is legal...

I do not know your actual specific level of illegality, but cops are cops, and for the most part, they spend more time on real problems, and if you are a conservative and polite segway glider, you will not be a primary focus... I am not saying you should break the law, but this is a decision you must make for yourself, as to where you plan to be working on this law from, the sidelines or in the soup...

Good luck either way. Welcome again...

Karl Ian Sagal

Wireczar
08-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Ian,
We seem to have the same problems here in Ireland. No one has any idea on the legality if the Segway. I approach it by being very careful where iI go and how I travel. Most of the Garda (Police) here are very pragmatic, once I explain hoe the Segway works some asked me for a test ride, which every one thought was great, then told me to be careful and others just told me to be careful.
It is not illegal to glide nor is it legal, so I take my choice as legal.
Wirezcar