PDA

View Full Version : First Midwest Segway Rally by The GlideMaster

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 06:22 AM
Guys when most of us get our own 1st Segways lets have a Midwest Rally! Better yet a U.S. Rally. What do you all think? If you don't have one at that time you can still come and try out someone elses. I have to have some sort of Custom Paint and what ever else I can have without being gaudy. I want chrome. It could really be the 1st U.S. Segway Rally with possibly a few hundred or thousand lucky private owners and businesses by next summer. Guest speaker could be no other than the King of Balance (sorry King of Balance no helicopters). This could be the BOMB. Have you all finished the plans for the event yet. It would be a great informational rally as well as an instructional rally with classes, obstical course and most of all safety discussions, recommendations and guidelines.
The King of Balance invented and created the Segway, but I love it and preach it. And yes you can love an inanimate object. By the Summer of 2003 there should be plenty of Segways out there. Come on guys help me with my rally plans. WHERE DO WE START. I've got to have one for when I go on my ski trips. I always drive out west. Love Utah. OPPS! I digress. I've proved my love for skiing after 28 yrs, now I'm going to prove my love for Segway.

Start Planning
Lawrence, 4Segway, Casey, Brooster, Blinky, Ftropea
and all others that I know I missed but not on purpose.
Maybe we can get Segway to help or participate or sponsor.
This could be as great as the Segways'creation....NOT!
Dam 4:00 AM I have to sleep on this.

This is WESKIFM and I'm out of here.[^]:):D[8D][:I][:p];)[|)]

n/a
10-19-2002, 07:40 AM
Wes, there is a good possibility that I will be on the right side of the Atlantic to have the chance at taking u up on your invitation. If not I can try to be with u virtually or at least in spirit. I happeb to live in Bodø, Norway. Look it up on a map if u like.

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Lawrence I had no idea you were in Norway. I forget that the internet is global. I did my homework as instructed.

Bodo (b#333;'dö) , city (1985 est. pop. 34,000), capital of Nordland co., W Norway, at the mouth of the Saltfjord, N of the Arctic Circle. It is a center for coastal shipping, tourism, and fishing and serves as the port of the Sulitjelma copper and pyrite mines. The city was heavily damaged in World War II. Of note is a modern cathedral (1956). Nearby is Bodin Church, a medieval stone structure.

Your first Segway will have to have snow tires with studs on them. I've heard they exist.

I hope you are on the right side of the Atlantic if we can really get people involved. That's if there interest in the love of Segway is not just Talk. All ideas are welcome and everyones presence will be desired no mater what part of the glob they are on. They have car rallies for people who love their cars and they even have a Monosking rally for people who love to monoski: but I've never been just seen the pictures.

Sorry Lawrence I had no idea you were in Norway.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

Wes, there is a good possibility that I will be on the right side of the Atlantic to have the chance at taking u up on your invitation. If not I can try to be with u virtually or at least in spirit. I happeb to live in Bodø, Norway. Look it up on a map if u like.

Brooster
10-19-2002, 12:14 PM
I think it's an excellent idea ... we could hold the event right here in Chicago, the site of the first public showing. Now we just need the machines! LOL!

Brooster

4Seg
10-19-2002, 02:50 PM
GREAT idea! I guess I had better finish my other site, huh? (www.midwestsegway.com) :)

They're legal in Missouri. Maybe we could pool together to get plane tickets for our friends across the big pond. We could have a great time!

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 04:02 PM
I was thinking maybe the big parking lot between Soldiers Field and the Old McCormick Place building. That way you are on private property if the law still has not passed. Plus plenty of room for parking right in the same parking lot and across at the new Mc Cormick Place. Also the Hyatt McCormick is right there and they've already had a few Segways their, I'm guilty. A nice place for people to stay. Could we get Segway to get one of those big ballons made like a Segway and allow us to display it and then they get it back. I'm pretty sure they don't have one already. Little small key retractable keychains for the Segway keys with the Segway logo on it. Maybe Segway tee shirts, caps and who knows what else as Segway give aways for those that register for a amall fee. Someone help me I'm on a role. Maybe Segway might even give one away as a prize in a drawing. That would really draw people to register. Somebody help me. Am I crazy for Segway or what?

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

I think it's an excellent idea ... we could hold the event right here in Chicago, the site of the first public showing. Now we just need the machines! LOL!

Brooster

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

I was thinking maybe the big parking lot between Soldiers Field and the Old McCormick Place building. That way you are on private property if the law still has not passed. Plus plenty of room for parking right in the same parking lot and across at the new Mc Cormick Place. Also the Hyatt McCormick is right there and they've already had a few Segways their, I'm guilty. A nice place for people to stay. Could we get Segway to get one of those big ballons made like a Segway and allow us to display it and then they get it back. I'm pretty sure they don't have one already. Little small key retractable keychains for the Segway keys with the Segway logo on it. Maybe Segway tee shirts, caps and who knows what else as Segway give aways for those that register for a amall fee. Someone help me I'm on a role. Maybe Segway might even give one away as a prize in a drawing. That would really draw people to register. Somebody help me. Am I crazy for Segway or what? [:0]

Brooster

Brooster
10-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Edited

n/a
10-19-2002, 08:55 PM
quote:Sorry Lawrence I had no idea you were in Norway.

I guess I dont write with a Norwegian accent. ;) Now u now a little about Bodø.

4Seg writes:
quote:They're legal in Missouri. Maybe we could pool together to get plane tickets for our friends across the big pond. We could have a great time!

I had no idea u guys were so ritch over there.

Brooster
10-20-2002, 03:09 AM
I haven't been able to talk that doggone Weskifm out of a ride yet, (it just ain't gonna happen) but it seems that we both agree that Chicago is the place ... where the first "Segway Rally" should be held. It's the middle of America, and the city where Segway had its first "public" showing.

Brooster

Cube128
10-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Here's my idea:

We meet near the lakefront, and hold some events, like going around cones the fastest, etc. Then, we pair up, and ride around for an hour or so, giving people rides and answering questions.

If we could get Segway to santion this, maybe provide us with some extra units, this could be great marketing for them, and a lot of fun for us.

Brooster
10-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I agree!

Brooster

Blinky
10-21-2002, 01:34 AM
Your idea Weskifm is a good one. I will definitely keep my eye on this post to see what you guys work out. And will contribute any ideas I can think of in here for sure.

GyroGo
10-21-2002, 03:52 AM
Rally Proposals:

1) Black leathered Harley bikers be damned, we'll all wear denim as our fashion trademark.

2) Let's do it mid-summer, when the lakefront is jammed packed with bikini clad babes just aching to hitch a ride on Segway with a married dweeb.

3) 3 drink minimum so we can prove you don't really need any balance skills to ride a Segway.

4) Segway Volleyball - Oak Street Beach, 11am

5) Segway Polo - Grant Park, 2pm

6) Segway Races (you know, the one where you hold a spoon in your teeth with an egg on it) - Museum of Science and Industry, 5pm

7) BYOB (B=battery, as in spare)

8) Shhh, don't tell Rollin and Cheney

9) No PDA's or mobile puters allowed on the beach to check and post to the boards.

10) No autographs

11) We need a live band, ..... hmmm, not rock 'n roll... anyone know any good balance'n roll groups?

GlideMaster
10-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Lets just hope the Segway is out in substantial numbers by next year. My stratagem if I were responsible for the distribution of the Segway would be to have it out by Christmas; at least in one form or another.[^]

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Your idea Weskifm is a good one. I will definitely keep my eye on this post to see what you guys work out. And will contribute any ideas I can think of in here for sure.

Brooster
10-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Gary, as you probably know, there is a band called Segway ... spelled the same way. I don't know what kind of music they play, I've just seen links when doing Google searches.

Broo

Brooster

majic
10-21-2002, 02:43 PM
quote:11) We need a live band, ..... hmmm, not rock n'roll... anyone know any good rock n' balance groups?

Level 42?

4Seg
10-21-2002, 08:29 PM
I love this thread! How about a t-shirt that says, "got IT?"

LOL... you heard it FIRST here!

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies

Blinky
10-22-2002, 02:07 AM
4Seg writes..
quote:I love this thread! How about a t-shirt that says, "got IT?"

I have always thought of using the Segway-HT's side profile as the letter "t". So maybe you would want to make a slight adjustment to the phrase and make it "GOT it?".

4Seg
10-23-2002, 12:04 AM

4Seg writes..
quote:I love this thread! How about a t-shirt that says, "got IT?"

I have always thought of using the Segway-HT's side profile as the letter "t". So maybe you would want to make a slight adjustment to the phrase and make it "GOT it?".

BRILLIANT! I'm on it!

Blinky
10-23-2002, 07:23 PM
quote:BRILLIANT! I'm on it!

Glad you like the idea 4seg.

segwayusersgroup
12-29-2002, 03:45 PM
If you all would like, I could set up a web page / site for the "1st Annual Segway Owners Rally" or whatever title ASAP.

I could get the format up and running fast as fast can be..... Let me know. It could be my humble contribution to the effort.

http://www.segwayusersgroup.com

Brooster
12-29-2002, 04:02 PM
That'd be great SUG, thank you! We don't really have a time and place worked out just yet, but we can certainly let you know as soon as we do. Weskifm and I need to get together and figure out a good location here in Chicago. Ideally, it would be somewhere where we could get outdoors and ride, but still have access to power so we could plug our Segs in while we're just standing around talking, BBQing, or whatever. I'm guessing late summer or early fall would be a good time, because we may have quite a few more owners in the region by that time.

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Brooster I guess the main thing in this endeavor is location location location. We need to try and do this in an area where we don't need a City Permit. I know the Hyatt McCormick on 22nd has a ground level parking lot. Also the McCormick Place has that huge parking lot at the south end of the building right off the drive just before 31st and the drive. Once they start giving the training in this area and others, it will help us get an idea of what the Summer Time Glide population will be like through out the U.S. We could make the code name for the Rally; The Summer Time Glide. Theme of the Rally could be: Come Glide With Us or The 1st Segway Glide Festival. It would be nice if we could just get some type of Segway LLC for this.

<center>Glide On

Have Seg Will Travel

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

That'd be great SUG, thank you! We don't really have a time and place worked out just yet, but we can certainly let you know as soon as we do. Weskifm and I need to get together and figure out a good location here in Chicago. Ideally, it would be somewhere where we could get outdoors and ride, but still have access to power so we could plug our Segs in while we're just standing around talking, BBQing, or whatever. I'm guessing late summer or early fall would be a good time, because we may have quite a few more owners in the region by that time.

Brooster

segwayusersgroup
12-29-2002, 06:06 PM
OK Guys Fast as Fast can be is... Ha!

See http://www.segwayusersgroup.com and then at bottom center of page is Checkered Flag logo. It's a secret Shhhhhhhhh..... Click on that for the

First Annual Page set up. Let me know what u think.

THX.

Brooster
12-29-2002, 06:10 PM
NICE! I love it!

Probably a bit premature to list any specifics though, as we're not even in what I'd call the pre-planning stage. Realistically, if it happens in 2003, it'll probably just be a small informal gathering of Seggers. I do realize that you're just providing a sample of what it might look like. Good work! You obviously know Chicago pretty well! :)

Broo

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Woooo Woooo Woooo! You're gliding kind of fast aren't you? You may be on the verge of Stick Shake.

quote:Originally posted by segwayusersgroup

OK Guys Fast as Fast can be is... Ha!

See http://www.segwayusersgroup.com and then at bottom center of page is Checkered Flag logo. It's a secret Shhhhhhhhh..... Click on that for the

First Annual Page set up. Let me know what u think.

THX.

segwayusersgroup
12-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Just set it up for fun. No reason you cannot make it happen. Should be rather simple.

Might be a bigger event than you think. Anything I can do let me know. I am someone who likes FUN.

Later,

Jon
12-29-2002, 07:05 PM
Weskifm, this is a great idea! And, Drew's draft webpage for the rally at www.segwayusersgroup.com is a hoot! Now, if only someone would invent an easy way to transport our Segs to Chicago (some 1,000 miles in my case). Sigh. How about HTs for rent? And some sort of temporary stickers for decoration/customization purposes?

-= Jon =-

GyroGo
12-29-2002, 07:05 PM

NICE! I love it!

.... Good work! You obviously know Chicago pretty well! :)

LOL, yeah, "obviously" cause Drew borrowed some of my suggestions in an earlier post this thread. Rally photo with a hill in the background??? Where's that Broo?? Drew?? :D

Just giving you guys a hard time. Seriously, I like the idea and the enthusiasm. Chicago gets my vote. I'll even buy each of you guys a beer or three. or four... or ... hey, I'm not the designated driver.

[8]....SegCentric....[8]
A Balanced Approach(tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

GlideMaster
12-29-2002, 07:08 PM
OK thanks SUG. You had me kind of Seged (scared) there for a moment.
Yes I do think it can happen whether big or small. But I really think it could have a decent turn out. But most of all fun, networking and a great amount of feedback and exposure for Segway LLC.

<center>Glide On

Have Seg Will Travel

Segway, The Mind Changer </center>

Just set it up for fun. No reason you cannot make it happen. Should be rather simple.

Might be a bigger event than you think. Anything I can do let me know. I am someone who likes FUN.

Later,

segwayusersgroup
12-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Actually I borrowed all your topics and a few additions just to spice it up a bit. FUN yes?

Really is a cool idea that would surely work out fine. Hey if not, the folks that did show up would be sure to have a blast regardless. Count me in for sure.

I love to travel and travel and a Segway event would be right up my ally.

I am serious about helping out. You guys let me know what you need, if anything.

Adios,

GlideMaster
12-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Will let you know and Thanks SUG. Glide On

Actually I borrowed all your topics and a few additions just to spice it up a bit. FUN yes?

Really is a cool idea that would surely work out fine. Hey if not, the folks that did show up would be sure to have a blast regardless. Count me in for sure.

I love to travel and travel and a Segway event would be right up my ally.

I am serious about helping out. You guys let me know what you need, if anything.

Adios,

Brooster
12-29-2002, 07:19 PM
We sure will, SUG. Thanks! Weski, we're gonna have to get together one of these days and start coming up with some ideas. Maybe Labor Day weekend?

Brooster

jgassor
12-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Should'nt the first Rally be in Bedford, NH. Imagine all those thousands of HT's paying homage to their birth place!

Jim

Live life to the full, get Tivo and get a Segway! http://segway.gassor.com

GyroGo
12-29-2002, 07:35 PM

I'm actually a little embarrassed at some of those, "Rock n' Balance"?? kinda stupid, no?

Now hot beer drinking babes in denim bikinis riding up on their own Segways on a sunny lakefront day.... I can only dream. Even an eligible bachelor like Kamen would have a hard time resisting mortals like that.

[8]....SegCentric....[8]
A Balanced Approach(tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

GyroGo
12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Segways are Sexy!

Segs Sex = Success!

[8]....SegCentric....[8]
A Balanced Approach(tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

tak
12-29-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm in the midwest, Wisconsin, I favor a rally, I lived in Chicago for 30 years, so I could visit old friends, possibly. You know Harley has them all over the country, this would be quite different, as I picture, but with some similarities. I would have the problem of timing with my heavy duty menagerie, so I can't be counted on, but if I am free enough, I think it would be great! It might be rather expensive for most people to find rooming in Chicago, maybe you should have it in Wausau, WI, hehe.:)

RobbW
12-29-2002, 08:41 PM
I would love to get together with all interested Southern Californians (or anyone else??) and make some April-ish left-coast plans to get together near LA and glide together! Just as a suggestion, although any alternatives would be welcomed, perhaps we could go from the Santa Monica Pier or 3rd Street Promenade to Venice and back???.

Would anyone want to join if I were to orchestrate it?

RobbW (from Santa Clarita CA, the "Jewel of the Orient"!)

J10
12-29-2002, 09:35 PM
I suggest San Diego to maximize the geographic reach of Segway, it's as far from Manchester as you can get.

How about a loop on the sidewalks surrounding Mission Bay?

http://www.sannet.gov/lifeguards/graphics/mbay1.jpg

http://www.deru.com/art/mission_beach.gif

http://www.catamaranresort.com/cat_tri_pic_600x.JPG

http://www.missionbeachhouse.com/images/main_bayview2.jpg

4Seg
12-29-2002, 10:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by J10

I suggest San Diego to maximize the geographic reach of Segway, it's as far from Manchester as you can get.

How about a loop on the sidewalks surrounding Mission Bay?

http://www.sannet.gov/lifeguards/graphics/mbay1.jpg

http://www.deru.com/art/mission_beach.gif

http://www.catamaranresort.com/cat_tri_pic_600x.JPG

http://www.missionbeachhouse.com/images/main_bayview2.jpg

Mission Bay would be awesome. I was there in November, what a beautiful place!!

weskifm, thank you for restarting this thread. I still think it is an awesome idea. I am wondering if sidewalk travel will be ok then?

We could host in St. Louis. Just a thought. There is Grant's Farm here with MILES of trails for bikes, skaters, seggers. 18 MILES worth! I wonder if we could make the hole trip!

Just a couple of rambling thought...

Find Segway owners in your town.
http://portal.stlsegway.com/forum/
http://www.stlsegway.com

Yahoo: stlsegway

pdantic
12-30-2002, 12:36 AM
Great idea! We recumbent bikers have done this for a while and it's a wonderful way to meet other folks & have a good time. Check out the Midwest Recumbent Rally (http://www.hostelshoppe.com/recumbent_rally.php) or the upcoming Rocky Mountain Recumbent Rally (http://www.bestofbents.com/rmrr.htm) for ideas on what kind of events are usually held at our rallies.

Personally, I'd like to see an international Segway rally held in Rome, Italy - the highlight could be Segway races on the Circus Maximus, site of the old Roman chariot races! ;)

Steve
PDAntic.com

4Seg
12-30-2002, 03:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by pdantic

Great idea! We recumbent bikers have done this for a while and it's a wonderful way to meet other folks & have a good time. Check out the Midwest Recumbent Rally (http://www.hostelshoppe.com/recumbent_rally.php) or the upcoming Rocky Mountain Recumbent Rally (http://www.bestofbents.com/rmrr.htm) for ideas on what kind of events are usually held at our rallies.

Personally, I'd like to see an international Segway rally held in Rome, Italy - the highlight could be Segway races on the Circus Maximus, site of the old Roman chariot races! ;)

Steve
PDAntic.com

LOL. Reminds me of when Russell Crowe rode the Segway for the first time on Jay Leno... "Arh, hand me my sword!"

jgassor
12-30-2002, 04:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by 4Segway

LOL. Reminds me of when Russell Crowe rode the Segway for the first time on Jay Leno... "Arh, hand me my sword!"

Damn, wish I had seen that clip! Sounds hilarous

Jim

4Seg
12-30-2002, 04:44 AM
I'll make a clip after the 1st. I have it on a video tape. I'll post it when I get the chance.

hodgepoj
12-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Has anyone checked Chicago's regulations on motor driven vehicles on public property? You sure want to hold the rally in a location that welcomes such inovative means of transport.

hodgepoj

Brooster
12-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Welcome back Dr. J.

If we do indeed do anything in Chicago this year, we'll be examining these issues very closely. Hopefully Illinois will be enacting legislation that will make specific allowances for the Segway HT on sidewalks before the end of the summer. As of now, the City of Chicago itself seems to have a pro-Segway attitude. Our mayor loves it.

Brooster

GlideMaster
12-30-2002, 09:31 PM
From what I understand the various cities in Illinois will be allowed to enact their own laws governing gliding. With that having been said; Glide On.

drucilla
12-31-2002, 02:57 AM
Are there any close places for RV's? Might come with Segway, Camper, and Bar-b-que. Camper has a generator if we're in a pinch, with an outside plug. By the way, down here in Texas, it seems a little odd to think of Chicago as the Mid-west. I guess the US was a little smaller when you picked up that moniker. Glad it got big enough to include the rest of us. Good luck putting together a rally..and I'm gonna hide my laptop in the back of the RV so you will never know I have it with me...lol

mind if my segway and i pass?

Brooster
12-31-2002, 04:42 AM
Hey Drucilla. We'll keep that in mind. I'm likin' the generator and the BBQ. If it's any indication , my alma mater Northwestern was at its founding in 1851, considered to be in the Northwest Territories. It's here in Evanston, IL. Go figure. :)

Brooster

GyroGo
12-31-2002, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by drucilla

Are there any close places for RV's? Might come with Segway, Camper, and Bar-b-que. Camper has a generator if we're in a pinch, with an outside plug. By the way, down here in Texas, it seems a little odd to think of Chicago as the Mid-west. I guess the US was a little smaller when you picked up that moniker. Glad it got big enough to include the rest of us. Good luck putting together a rally..and I'm gonna hide my laptop in the back of the RV so you will never know I have it with me...lol

Free Admission if your generator is a Stirling. Free camper parking in my driveway if it's a DEKA Stirling.

Yeah, the Midwest does look a little misplaced on a map, especially Ohio. However, if you split the country by population rather than square miles, I'll bet Chicago is pretty close to center, at least on the longitude. Funny how Texas is considered West when it looks pretty much South to me :D

Because of Lake Michigan, many of the rail lines and roads wrapped through Chicago out of basic geographical necessity. The magnificent lakefront and the Chicago River helped make Chicago an ideal city for growth. Now, with 2 airports and first class convention facilities and accommodations, Chicago is a great centrally located choice for a rally.

Weskifm, can you get me a job in the city's PR dept now? I'll require a Segway issued to me, of course. ;)

Chicago:
"Windy City"
"City of Big Shoulders"
"The City that Works"
"The Balanced City"
"City of Glide" (yeah, wesk, I knew you'd like that)

[8] . . SegCentric . . [8]
A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

GyroGo
12-31-2002, 02:14 PM
1st Annual US Segway Rally
Chicago Segway Rally 2003
(or name to be determined)

1) This event will require a lot of work by a group of individuals. I nominate Weskifm Chairman and Brooster Vice-Chair.

2) Probably the later part of August would be best to allow the most prep time while still allowing good weather, kids and teachers still off school.

3) 2003 is not to early to start the 1st annual US rally. But with most people just starting to receive their Segways, enthusiasm just starting to become infectious, the time it takes for people to commit to time-off and plan travel - I'd think a few dozen to a hundred owners could be the turn out expectation for the first summer. Not a bad start, but not requiring McCormick Place either.

4) A Segway sponsored event would go a LONG way toward making the event more than just a meeting of owners. A Segway LLC presence would guarantee general public turnout (Segway rides available), the proper publicity, and they could coordinate it with a round of training.

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

segwayusersgroup
12-31-2002, 06:03 PM
I would like some serious input, ideas, etc from the "Commision" to make the web page for the "1st Annual Segway Owners Rally" geared toward garnering the support of many people now as this is the time to get folks geared up so to say.

I would like to provide a guidline/layout that will provide good/realistic info., at least to the extent it becomes available. I imagine this will be grand and glorious. We need to select real commitee members and get the ball rolling even if it a slow roll, or should that be glide? Better than no movement.

We need a chairman, vice chairman, PR person, I as offered will handle the web aspect if you all agree that is cool, secretary, financial advisor, and ???? suggestions plz.

I can set up a page for this so it can be easily accessed by any Seg enthusiast, we need a event logo (any photoshop pros out there?), and ???? more suggestions.

For now shall I keep the access to the site via the little checkered flag at bottom of segwayusersgroup.com or shall I make it more apparent to all?

Let me know what to do and it shall be.

Oh yes, welcome back Frank. Nice to be home aye? :)

Ciao'

GlideMaster
12-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Brooster and I will try and give this some serious time after 6 Jan 03. Until then Glide On.

Brooster
12-31-2002, 07:25 PM
All sounds good to me guys. Weski and I conferred on the matter for a short time today, in fact.

Brooster

GyroGo
12-31-2002, 07:47 PM
I can do some things too, let me know.

Not sure what you guys think of:

SegCentric 2003

as a rally title, but if you like it, I can redirect SegCentric.com and .org to Drew's SUG page. Could work out a way to transfer the domain name ownership to the organization somehow.

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

Brooster
12-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Maybe not a bad idea GyroGo ... I kinda like it! I'll be away for the next several hours, but we'll talk more. Happy New Year!

Broo

Brooster

Seeker
12-31-2002, 08:00 PM
Sounds like it should be a "Segsational gliding experience" !!...sorry couldn't resist:D

Seeker

Seeker
12-31-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi Ladies & Gents !

Just another suggestion for a name for the event you're planning :

'Chicago Summer Glidefest-2003':)

Seeker

drucilla
12-31-2002, 09:29 PM
Darn, I was picturing a fair or picnic type of get-together which sounded like tons of fun, but I don't usually go to conventions except business related ones. Guess I'll pass this time,unless I am just lucky enough to be in the area. Hope it is a great success..

GlideMaster
12-31-2002, 09:30 PM
Maybe Chicago Segway Glidefest-2003.

quote:Originally posted by Seeker

Hi Ladies & Gents !

Just another suggestion for a name for the event you're planning :

'Chicago Summer Glidefest-2003':)

Seeker

GyroGo
01-01-2003, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by drucilla

Darn, I was picturing a fair or picnic type of get-together which sounded like tons of fun, but I don't usually go to conventions except business related ones. Guess I'll pass this time,unless I am just lucky enough to be in the area. Hope it is a great success..

I'm no expert on rallies, but IMHO it should have an informal friendly feeling (unlike a "business convention") and organized events. Representation from interested organizations and sponsors would only help.

In any case, it's way too early in the planning stage to make a decision to attend or not attend based on these current personal opinions of what should occur. If you have any serious interest in attending please post your opinions and withhold judgment until the plans solidify.

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

GyroGo
01-01-2003, 07:01 AM
Wesk, the initiative you took in first posting the rally issue, your continuing enthusiasm, inside the city knowledge and apparent connections, and personal Segway experience make you a key man in this whole thing. But (regardless of what the consensus is on SegCentric) the "Glide" is just not clicking with me IMHO as a marketing term. I get the concept, but it's just not sounding right to me. Can't quite pinpoint the reason, perhaps it sounds a bit wimpy. Anyway, just my opinion, I'll go with the broad consensus. Segfest??? nah.

hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

pam
01-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Late August will have to happen without me. I'm much better for mid-or late July. I work at a community college and right after the 14th of August we return to work for the Fall semester.
Pam

quote:Originally posted by GyroGo.com

1st Annual US Segway Rally
Chicago Segway Rally 2003
(or name to be determined)
snip............
2) Probably the later part of August would be best to allow the most prep time while still allowing good weather, kids and teachers still off school.
snip.............

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

Brooster
01-01-2003, 08:06 AM
GyroGo ... don't worry ... Weski and I are working on it. But we certainly welcome your input and involvement. The bottom line is, it's going to cost big bucks if we make this anything more than a casual 3-4 hour get together. We don't have big bucks. We'd just like to meet and ride with anyone who might be able to join us for a few hours.

A full-blown "US rally" is certainly well beyond the scope of what's reasonable this year. Weski and I are pretty set on the idea of doing something on a manageable scale near the Chicago lakeshore, if we do it at all. We'll need some time to examine our available options, and we ask that you be patient with us. It may be an impromptu meeting in a parking lot somewhere, or it may be something bigger with involvement from one of the big hotels here in the city.

I can tell you that anything we do will be cleared well ahead of time with Segway LLC. If they say it's not a good idea, it won't happen. Period.

So let's just wait and see what's said, before we get too far out over our skis.

Happy New Year!
Broo

Brooster

GyroGo
01-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks Broo, I'm in good hands then
Though I have short skis [8D]

I'd just like to say not to wait to long to contact LLC. If they're good with it, you may find invaluable help there. It would be in their best interest. I'll take the "SegCentric" out of my sig for the time being, just in case the org wants it.

and one more thing:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Woo Hoo, Chicago Rally this year!

A Balanced Approach (tm)
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

jgassor
01-01-2003, 02:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by 4Segway

I'll make a clip after the 1st. I have it on a video tape. I'll post it when I get the chance.

Thanks! I would love to see it!

Jim

hodgepoj
01-03-2003, 03:18 PM
When the roll is called up yonder in Chicago, I'll be there. Mrs. Hodgepoj and I will relax on an Amtrak speeper car for the overnight trip from Dallas. Plenty of room to store our HT downstairs in the luggage compartment. I might even glide down the aisles to the VistaDome lounge car.

I'd be pleased to help out on your planning committee -- as an indian, not a chief. Maybe my excessive maturity and experience can help balance the impetuousness of all you young tads (anyone younger than 70).

By August, we should be well on our way to mounting a major exhibit on "The Evolution of the Wheel" at The Science Place. We're aiming to have it ready for the State Fair of Texas in October. It'll feature mankind's use of wheels from moving large stones on log rollers in prehistoric times to gliding on an HT in the 21st century.

I'll bring some free tickets to pass out at the rally. Maybe some of you can visit Dallas in October and participate in a mass glide through Fair Park during the fair. Our hands-on science museum is located in the park, a few blocks from the Cotton Bowl stadium where the Texas/Oklahoma football game is always a big attraction during the fair.

hodgepoj

4Seg
01-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Brooster,
I have an idea, what about starting the GlideFest at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry? Nostalgic perhaps?

4Seg
01-03-2003, 05:20 PM
If we were to glissade on a Segway would Glisseg or Glissegging?

GyroGo
01-09-2003, 12:32 AM
GM and Broo,

If you're not interested in "SegCentric 2003" as an event name, (SegCentric.com/org) or if you won't be able to make a decision within the next couple of weeks, please let me know. If I'm not donating it, I'd like to put "SegCentric" back in my sig and prepare an alternative use.

Thanks!

[8] A Balanced Approach (tm) [8]
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

Blinky
01-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Glidemaster, you can change the topic name now to your new one. "First Midwest Segway Rally by <s>weskifm</s> GlideMaster"

http://www.bl.com/ben/gifs/Blinky.gif http://www.harpy.net/paul/blinky.jpg

Brooster
01-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Hey Gary, thanks for the offer, but we won't be pepared to even come close to committing to anything for quite some time. So please go ahead and use the domain(s).

We've thought about and discussed this. We do want to do something, but we have no choice but to keep it on a manageable scale. I don't want anyone to feel cheated or disappointed, but we simply don't have any financial resources to make a big production out of this. As I'm sure you can appreciate, putting on a big event in a place like Chicago costs big bucks, and we just don't have it. Nor do GM and I really have the time to run a full-blown donation campaign well in advance.

So ... keeping it "manageable" may mean something as simple as meeting for a few hours in a park or a parking lot. We've not even come close to making a location decision, looking into necessary permits, legal issues, etc. Part of the decision obviously will hinge on what happens with Segway legislation in Illinois. There are just far too many unknowns to say anything for sure at this point, and possibly for months to come.

We have no idea of how many HTs are going to be out there by mid-to-late summer. Keeping this "manageable,' in our opinion, means maybe 100-150 people max. We've decided it will NOT be a "tailgate" or BBQ event, because we don't have the resources to provide trash pickup service, porta-johns, and all the other stuff that goes into such an event. Nor will there be any alchohol involved if we do this. Presenting the image of responsible Segway use and safe practices will be our paramount concern if we do this. I think (at least I hope) that everyone can understand and appreciate this. This will be Segway's first summer in the hands of consumers, and the image we present to the public will be critically important

So ... if GM and I are to be involved in getting this together, that's pretty much the way it's going to have to be. Depending on how things progress throughout the year, we may have to make this an invitation-only event, announce the date and place perhaps only a month ahead of time, or scratch the idea altogether. Again, we don't want to disappoint anyone, or look like the bad guys if it doesn't happen. It may be that there aren't that many Segs around by mid-summer, and we can throw it wide open and announce it earlier. We just don't know.

What I can tell you now is that we're still thinking late summer/early fall. I can tell you that we've made the appropriate contact with Segway LLC. They're aware of what we're considering. They've not in any way objected to the idea, and indeed are somewhat enthusiastic about it. They'd like to be kept "in the loop" in terms of any plans as the year progresses. Be assured that if we carry through with any "rally" plans, they'll be very much "in the loop" every step of the way.

I wish I could tell you more, but there's just not a lot more to tell ... I still think we can have a nice gathering and enjoy meeting each other. But don't expect a big blowout, and don't make your vacation plans around it. As always, any input is welcomed and appreciated. We just want to do the right thing, within our capabilities.

Best from Chicago,
Broo

Brooster

GyroGo
01-09-2003, 02:53 AM
[8D]

I hope to get an "invite" even if I have to ride up on my son's skateboard (the unbalanced approach).

[8] A Balanced Approach (tm) [8]
www.StirlingInfo.com
www.a-zDictionary.com

GlideMaster
01-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Blinky per your request said topic in question has been changed. May this greatly enhance the enjoyment of your glide.

And yes Gyro you are invited to glide with us at the Segway 2003 GlideFestival.

<center>The GlideMaster
Glide On</center>

Glidemaster, you can change the topic name now to your new one. "First Midwest Segway Rally by <s>weskifm</s> GlideMaster"

http://www.bl.com/ben/gifs/Blinky.gif http://www.harpy.net/paul/blinky.jpg

fathertime
05-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Brooster and GlideMaster, I think that Pam is right lets pool our talents so that we're all pulling in the same direction. It seems like an idea whose time has come! Give me a call and we will try to put our heads together asap. I'm dying to go gliding with you guys anyway!

JR

Brooster
05-12-2003, 11:37 PM
That'll happen soon, FT. Let's keep this going in your new thread, and just use this old thread as reference if necessary.

New "Chicago Rally" thread is here: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3144

Brooster

MONTIE
05-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Mabe you can get "OREO" as a sponsor....Montie

X-man
05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
The big parking lot between Soldier Field is being reduced for parkland, underground parking and a 40' high sledding hill (probably as a mate to the observation hill the mayor wants to put on the site of Miegs Field [R.I.P]). I believe there will still be some lot left but can't see through the fencing well enough to determine what is still available.

GlideMaster
05-14-2003, 10:31 AM
<center>Did a little gliding at Miegs Field yesterday.</center>

<center>The GlideMaster</center>
quote:Originally posted by X-man

The big parking lot between Soldier Field is being reduced for parkland, underground parking and a 40' high sledding hill (probably as a mate to the observation hill the mayor wants to put on the site of Miegs Field [R.I.P]). I believe there will still be some lot left but can't see through the fencing well enough to determine what is still available.

Brooster
05-14-2003, 09:25 PM
As suggested earlier, please use the thread referenced above for discussion about a Chicago gathering. Locking this old one, so we can keep all the discussion in one place. Thanks.

Broo

Brooster