PDA

View Full Version : Segway investment opportunity ...

Mr.Brent
07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Hello,

My name is Brent & I'm both new to Montana and new to Segway ... while not having purchased a Segway yet, I am a strong enthusiast. Living in Bozeman Montana I've come to discover there aren't any Segways for sale in the state.

In fact, the entire state of Montana is a market where the selling rights for retail purchase of the Segway are still open for investors. Either one person or a closeknit group of investors can invest with the Segway corporation for rights to sell retail in the great state of Montana.

Why am I sharing this? Or - what is in it for me? Well, being new to the area and the culture it is amazing how strong the organic and natural markets are here in the state. In the town of Bozeman the bicycles are everywhere. People all ages ride bikes all over this town. It reminds me of my travels in Holland and Thun, Switzerland and some towns in Italy.

Since my background is management with a MBA any investors living outside the Montana area would have readily available my personal assistance with penetrating the Montana Segway market. There are several sizeable towns such as Helena, Billings, Butte, Missoula, Bozeman, Great Falls & Kallispel ...

... as you can see - it is a strong and untapped market.

Got off the phone two weeks ago with the retailer in Idaho -- he stated that he just had a customer come all the way from Missoula, MT. to his shop in Idaho to purchase the Segway.

One caveat to Montana distributorship rights ??? Canadian residents just north of Montana who want to can drive across to Montana and have a closer look themselves -- as the corporation does not have distribitors in Canada.

So, please feel free to respond regarding this opportunity. It is with passion that I desire to see this market get going with Segway -- why? I personally believe the fewer toxins emitted into the earth's atmosphere the better we are on this planet -- it would be so exciting to see this market bursting with Segways everywhere.

So - a hearty hello to Segway owners and enthusiasts -- I'm new here. :)

-Brent

budsiskos
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
no offense to you if this is real but it sounds very similar to one of those spam e-mails i get every day that try to get you to give money to something

KSagal
07-28-2008, 12:26 AM
So, Brent...

The obvious question is...

With this being such a great business opportunity, why not act on it yourself?

AZ~glide
07-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Wonder what the "shoppe-keeper" pays for liability insurance as an initial premium before opening door 1, along with typical startup costs. Wonder what inventory must be on-hand to demo and facilitate business. Wonder what support staff, what paid-for parts inventory; wonder what Corporate stipulations come the way of one wishing to market Segway products...startup costs may well overcome many an enthusiast.

So, here comes one [enthusiast]...maybe or maybe not. Brent says he does not own a Segway and I believe him. He mentions no other experience upon such. May not have set foot upon one. No mention of any experience there does beg this one's mind to wonder.

Yet, how would it be if a guy seeing a market opportunity chose to go headlong into it, despite any prior experience?

Aside from sounding somewhat (and arguably for sure) like our apparent Presidential candidate choices, such a non-experienced person may have the vision and capacity to bring a major impact. Whether Brent is such a "mover & shaker", I've less than no-clue.

That he speaks of a "Green-oriented-community" in Montana and sees Segways as strongly desirable there, is to my liking...IF he is sincere. That he addresses an audience of Segway enthusiasts is rudimentally sharp. That is, having partners/investors in a project that is merely bean-counter deemed, is not the general tone nor vibration of the whole "Segway-thing".

Sure caveat emptor may mean a lot here. Let the buyer beware, sure. Yet, do we all have any business shooting another down...just because that's all that occurred to us at that moment?

Me-thinks-not.

This has been approved by the no-opinion club of Arizona nad has been deemed to be of no political threat to Brent nor any other and....

Anyway, bought me first Segway Sunday night [HT i180], went for a glide (charged by a German Sheppard) and am officially a newbie. {cloaked adisory statement there for Brent, as well; and, his letter sound constitutionally correct (not that I'd know) and his idea of bringing Segways to Montana sounds like "not a threat"...just one opinion}

I'm enthused by the functions this idea, this Segway means in my life.

Let Montana have Segways!

Any in doubt: watch or re-watch Legends of The Fall...great "Montana Flik".

AZ~glide

Gihgehls
07-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Aren't mods supposed to filter out spam and shills when they first post? Or maybe they were tricked because he says "segway" a few times?

Bill Seright
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I wondered the same thing. Eric is on moderation here but this guy just joins up and gets to make a post immediately asking for money hand-outs as an "investment opportunity."?

Thanks

Bill S.

jryan
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Now, now, now! I doubt this guy is a scam. He is probably a legitimate guy, just looking for a little help. There is probably a large number of people out there that have half the money to invest in a dealership and not the other half. I would call him stupid should he be a scam. After all, no one is just going to blindly hand over that kind of money. If someone was interested they would meet him, get a copy of his drivers license, sign and notarize a contract, etc. If he is not a scam, I find this a valid request.

If one is not interested in what he has to say, ignore him, why deprive someone else who may possibly be interested, the opportunity to talk with him. Besides, I have seen other occasions when spam or scam has been placed on a person and everyone who said it was dead wrong. Let's not criticize the guy for making a request. No one needs to honor it, but allow someone who may want to the chance. Besides, if he does start it up (assuming he is not a scam, which I doubt he is), then he will most certainly become an asset to the community!

Jeremy Ryan

eJM
07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
The guy didn't ask anyone for money, didn't even suggest he get a Segway for his efforts. He merely pointed out an opportunity for anyone with the means and desire to check it out. He offered to help, but made no claim to the right. Some of you were just plain rude to the guy.

Welcome to SegwayChat, Mr. Brent. http://www.grumpsplace.com/images/smilies/didnt_know.gif

Jim

Twyfer
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, as they say, "Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity".

Brent, your enthusiasm is heartening, but I suggest that you do a LOT more research before you jump in with both feet like that. At the best you come across as naive and arrogant, at worst as a transparent scam artist.

We're not blind to the business potential of the Segway. Some of the people in this group are dealers who already run successful operations in states which are more populous, more prosperous, and have nicer weather than Montana. Others are enthusiasts who have known the potential of the Segway since it was a glint in Dean Kamen's eye.

So sit back, read the group, do other research, even make your own investment in buying and riding a Segway. Gain some knowledge and experience if you want to make credible suggestions

Dwight Williams

jryan
07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Mr. Brent, welcome. I hope your stay here is long-lived! Regardless, I have a question for you and it is not to discredit you or anything like that. In business, if you are to sell something so niche as a Segway, you need to be able to sell one. You say you are an enthusiast and not an owner. I can appreciate that, because I was an enthusiast well before an owner. There are several enthusiasts here who do not own, mainly, I'm assuming, for financial reasons.

You mentioned that you are an enthusiast because of the "Green" nature of the Segway. What else makes you an enthusiast? What else drives you, in regards to the Segway? You do not have to answer publicly if you do not want. I ask this for one reason. Very few people, even with the money, are willing to drop down that kind of money simply because it helps the environment.

If you plan to effectively sell your idea to potential customers, you will need to know everything that drives you to sell these machines. If you can portray your enthusiasm in a way that can help make the customer realize the potential, then you're sold. Unfortunately, just the fact that it is "green" may not be enough. You need to know every reason why the Segway is better.

Say someone walked in with $6000 in hand. Why would they buy a Segway when they could buy a nice used car? Once you have this down, you have your pitch. Assuming you recieve no help here, look into a business loan. If you have good credit and you can speak from your heart on the device, a bank should help you out. If not a bank, look for a venture capitalist. Look for an angel investor. I am sure you can develop a wicked business plan.

These are just suggestions. It is hard to determine from reading your message whether you want to start your own dealership and want help or whether you want to urge someone to start one in your area. If you want to start your own, I am offering some friendly advice. Feel free to e-mail or pm me through my profile if you wish. I wish you luck!

Jeremy Ryan

KSagal
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I think his enthusiam is great. It just seems to me that if a person walks into a place and says that this or that is great, and you should do it... That always makes me ask why they have not taken their own advice...

We are already enthusiastic. But it takes more than that to make a business work.

What some may want to consider, is that not only do some people reading here know and run their own dealerships, but some dealerships have failed, in much warmer climates with longer gliding seasons. Knowing how to run a business is very different than being excited about a particular technology...

Brent offered up his knowledge and credentials in knowing business affairs. If he does, then he should be looking for business partners, not looking for another to put up the funds for his dream.

IF this is a scam, we have not heard the final pitch. If it is just an enthusiastic potential buyer who is saying that they feel they must not be alone, he needs to do more research... It might behoove him to actually go buy a segway so he will be more knowledgeable than he is now as to what it can do and cannot do.

One thing that needs to be considered is how many of us have met scores of folks who think that the segway is a great device, then find that the cost is not something they can justify in their lives.

I welcome Brent here. I encourage him to keep pitching for segways where he lives. He may even want to consider being an extention office for some dealer who may be interested... I am just not ready to say that he is right for telling us to do what he says, not what he does...

SegSailor
07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
On another thread we are currently debating the proper way to deal with an attacking dog when you are on a Segway. I've heard that the dog population in Montana is somewhat lower than the grizzly population. I'm willing to bet that the slower canine breeds are more rare there! Before everyone gets onto business plans, the demographics of the Big Sky state, average temperature/precipitation, etc., I have just two questions: One: Is the top speed of a grizzly in excess of 12.5mph, and two: Is there an aftermarket Segway pepper spray holder available?:eek:

Five-Flags
07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I have just two questions: One: Is the top speed of a grizzly in excess of 12.5mph, and two: Is there an aftermarket Segway pepper spray holder available?:eek:

The only requirement is that you have another pedestrian with you, or another Seg in turtle/black key mode.:D:D:D

This is a case where you don't need to WIN, you just don't want to be LAST!!!:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

KSagal
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
The only requirement is that you have another pedestrian with you, or another Seg in turtle/black key mode.:D:D:D

This is a case where you don't need to WIN, you just don't want to be LAST!!!:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

So...

Two guys are out on a glide and get attacked by a grizzly bear...

One guy reaches over, sets the other seg to turtle, then takes off at 12.5 mph on his own? Nice.[xx(]

While your at it, you may want to toss the other guy your dog biscuits as well...:)

I have heard all sorts of things to be prepared for while gliding... flat tires, insults from yahoos in SUVs, uneven driveway ramps... This is the first time in 5 years I have heard or considered what to do if a bear attacks while gliding...

What do you do if the Grizzly just yells that you're gonna get fat?

Gihgehls
07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Now, now, now! I doubt this guy is a scam.

Nobdy said scam, they said "spam." Legit or not, money making schemes don't belong on the new member introductions subforum, and it is certainly a poor way to introduce yourself.

RAG1247
07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
if you are interested, contact him (his home page doesn't seem to load) - if not...................................

continual speculation accomplishes nothing

the thread probably belongs in something to sell

jryan
07-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Nobdy said scam, they said "spam." Legit or not, money making schemes don't belong on the new member introductions subforum, and it is certainly a poor way to introduce yourself.

Scam, spam, both words insight the same kind of feelings on people reading! I do agree, he probably should have introduced himself in a different manner and posted this in for sale. But if it was really an issue, I'm sure the moderator(s) would have moved the thread! After all, they govern what is acceptable where and what is not! I am just tired of seeing people jump on others, especially when they are new. Although, then again, I am speaking from expierience, I also chose the wrong time wrong place!

wwhopper
07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Scam, spam, both words insight the same kind of feelings on people reading! I do agree, he probably should have introduced himself in a different manner and posted this in for sale. But if it was really an issue, I'm sure the moderator(s) would have moved the thread! After all, they govern what is acceptable where and what is not! I am just tired of seeing people jump on others, especially when they are new. Although, then again, I am speaking from expierience, I also chose the wrong time wrong place!

This post did not appear to be SPAM, it may be a Scam, but then it may be just another one of our overly egar Segway Enthusiasts.

And what a nice welcome he has had too.

And you will notice he has not posted again, nor have we heard of any of our members wiring lots of cash to Montana to open up the dealership (maybe it's the new Nigeria for scams and spammers.)

Cut the guy a break, he may be a scammer, but then again, he may be a overzealous Segway Enthusiast like many on this site.

jryan
07-29-2008, 04:18 PM
This post did not appear to be SPAM, it may be a Scam, but then it may be just another one of our overly egar Segway Enthusiasts.

And you will notice he has not posted again, nor have we heard of any of our members wiring lots of cash to Montana to open up the dealership (maybe it's the new Nigeria for scams and spammers.)

Cut the guy a break, he may be a scammer, but then again, he may be a overzealous Segway Enthusiast like many on this site.

Thank you Will, for paraphrasing me in a more direct way!

eJM
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
And I know you meant this as sacrasm. As I said in my post...
Some ... were just plain rude to the guy.
What a shame. There's a time to read between the lines and a time to just say something nice, or nothing at all.

Jim

wwhopper
07-29-2008, 06:04 PM
And I know you meant this as sacrasm. As I said in my post... Jim

The sad part is that this tends to be the kind of welcome many of our new members get. And then folks ask why more people don't participate in Segway Enthusiast events.

SegSailor
07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I have heard all sorts of things to be prepared for while gliding... flat tires, insults from yahoos in SUVs, uneven driveway ramps... This is the first time in 5 years I have heard or considered what to do if a bear attacks while gliding...

What do you do if the Grizzly just yells that you're gonna get fat?

Dude, I'm ALREADY fat! A grizzly that smart would obviously go for a skinny guy, because if he's smart enough to talk, he's obviously smart enough to watch his cholesterol, too!;)

Grizzlys were the first thing that I thought of when I read "Montana", because SegSurfer's godparents have a ranch out there. For years they've been trying to get us out there, and they've said that we didn't even need to supply our own pepper spray, because they have plenty (and they were serious)! They take it with them horseback riding, when they go out on 4 wheelers, etc. "Just a precaution" they say. Un huh. Last week they told me that someone just got mauled, but that it was "over the mountain" and not like it was on their ranch or anything. Yeah. Over the mountain out there is equal to 'next door' over here! It'd be my luck that the darn bear would be on vacation on THIS side of the mountain! So the first thing that popped into my mind was an image of some wide eyed dude giving it all he's got, bookin' down a gravel path on an X2 with a freakin' grizzly in hot pursuit!:eek:

I'm aware that there are many CITIES in Montana, and that the grizzlies don't live on every square inch of dirt in the state, but I'll stick with my mostly predictable Virginia black bears when I go trail riding! We have an understanding; they don't eat me or my Segway, and they can steal all the birdseed out of my feeders that they want in the Spring...:D

william collins
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Here someone comes along stirs up a Honey Pot and fourteen of you joined in a circle and got a good wiff...All with there own definition of intent...Nice job Mr brent

jryan
07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
So the first thing that popped into my mind was an image of some wide eyed dude giving it all he's got, bookin' down a gravel path on an X2 with a freakin' grizzly in hot pursuit!:eek:

I'm assuming he would be saying %^&# the speed limiter, I'm going above 12.5 as well! But seriously, if you want to see something similar to a Grizzly chasing you, hold a steak in front of Boris then take off. Don't think he can go 12.5, but he does look like a bear and is similar in size. He also loves his steaks!

Skinnee D
07-29-2008, 08:52 PM
The 2nd post from budsiskos should have said "Welcome to SegwayChat etc...if you have any business ideas, they should be posted in the Buy & Sell forum or the Tours & Rentals forum". But instead of letting Mr. Brent know where threads should be started, they instead think he might be spammer or scammer. Thanks to budsiskos for not only not giving a new member a half-decent welcome and not guiding him to the right thread but for the start of subsequent posts from other members of breaking a guy down so he doesn't post again. And may not ever be a member again. And if money making schemes don't belong on the new members introduction subforum, Gihgehls, then why didn't you tell him?? You might be one of the better informed people on this site but you have a cocky-I-know-so-why-don't-you way of saying things. Instead of waiting for the moderators to pipe up, why don't some people on this chat site inform or guide new members on how the site should be?? We guide members on how to mod our Segs, rules of the road in certain states, best places to glide, etc. But noone ever informs a person on how or where to post, etc. Things that might be common sense to some are not to others.

KSagal
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry, but I saw that Brent introduced himself with a business idea. That is not a problem but we were not supposed to respond with what came to mind?

I don't know Brent. I hope he is a big boy, and can take a question or two, he did give a bit of a resume to offer that he had gravitas.

Some here are brusk, some are rude, some are sweet, and some are many things.

I believe that if he walked into a room full of people he did not know, and started his conversation the way he did here, he would not get a significantly different reaction.

I will not take credit nor cast blame for anyone else's comments, but while my first reaction may not have been nicey-nice, neither was it out of bounds considering his post, by my standards, of course...

Brent, if you are still reading this (so many make one post and move on) do not be offended by anything I said, and make your own assessment regarding others. Some are very nice people, and some are less so.

I encourage you to buy a seg, and enjoy as we do. I encourage you to continue on with your business plans and your dreams, and do not let others, good or bad, sway you from the path you want to be on...

And if you post again, be prepared for a whole gambit of responses from one extreme to the other...

wwhopper
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm assuming he would be saying %^&# the speed limiter, I'm going above 12.5 as well! But seriously, if you want to see something similar to a Grizzly chasing you, hold a steak in front of Boris then take off. Don't think he can go 12.5, but he does look like a bear and is similar in size. He also loves his steaks!

I think that is something we would like to see on youtube

Hey we had a guy run over another guy on a Seg this week on YouTube, so I think it we should have a little Boris Time

For those of you who do not know Boris, Boris is Jryans rescue dog, who from what I understand is quite a personality.

Sorry, we will miss both you and Boris, at SegwayFesT, so a little YouTube video would be nice!

SegSailor
07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Or at least on the short lists for Veep! Both of them! Moderator extraordinarre! I can see his slogan now: "A Segway in every garage!" Just one question; where is there enough room on a Seg for a bumper sticker...

jryan
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
I think that is something we would like to see on youtube

Hey we had a guy run over another guy on a Seg this week on YouTube, so I think it we should have a little Boris Time

For those of you who do not know Boris, Boris is Jryans rescue dog, who from what I understand is quite a personality.

Sorry, we will miss both you and Boris, at SegwayFesT, so a little YouTube video would be nice!

Yes, I wish we could join in the FESTivities! Unfortunately, we cannot! Rest assured we will both be at Fest09'! From what I have seen, I sure hope some of the same people behind this fest help with 09' as well! To me, they seem to have done a great job! I will work on the youtube video, although I do not have a video camera. Boris loves any kind of attention, this I know!

jryan
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Or at least on the short lists for Veep! Both of them! Moderator extraordinarre! I can see his slogan now: "A Segway in every garage!" Just one question; where is there enough room on a Seg for a bumper sticker...

Given as I vote on the issues, I like this candidates stance on Segway's. So far he's got my vote!

wwhopper
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I can see his slogan now: "A Segway in every garage!" ...

Segsailor, you have yet to see my Living Room or Dinning Room.

Yep Segways - right there next to the plug, by the door, and right now there are four of our Segs getting ready for FesT, a couple of Segs for the Segs4Vets guys who we are hoping will recieve segs at the event, and a number of my local friends Segs that will be in my van for the trip.

I think we are Trippin on Segs right now, as it is.

So my slogan would be a Segway in every Living Room, and a cat or dog in every home!

Gihgehls
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
And if money making schemes don't belong on the new members introduction subforum, Gihgehls, then why didn't you tell him??

New members can't use PMs. Addressing him directly would be unproductive, so I addressed the entire thread.

You might be one of the better informed people on this site but you have a cocky-I-know-so-why-don't-you way of saying things.
Everything I know about this site I learned from observation and lurking. I apologize both for my tone and for assuming that other people would do the same.
But noone ever informs a person on how or where to post, etc. Things that might be common sense to some are not to others.
No one ever informs people where and where not to post? I thought I did in this very thread. As for common sense not being very common, well... you're all too right. I wonder if I being outside on an aluminum machine during a lighting storm is safe? *wink*

I believe that if he walked into a room full of people he did not know, and started his conversation the way he did here, he would not get a significantly different reaction.
My sentiments exactly!