PDA

View Full Version : WOWED "Arizona newbie" lookin for a new or used...

AZ~glide
07-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Stuck out my thumb and the Segway glider [:D]stopped and ended up giving me a mini-orientation...I'm very impressed and lookin to buy already, new or used.

I'm already a "cheater" using a recumbent bike with electric assist and am grateful to be able to do these things at all after two serious back operations. So, passersbys calling me a cheater will only bring on more gratitude.

Looks like this chat board is full of great insight & advice. Glad you all are posting here.

I've been weighing the Gen 1, HT...though the fella on the RT i2 had me wowed with the LeanSteer system...hard to know, with zip for experience.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Looking very forward to joining the ranks of Segway owners.

cmonkey
07-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Unless you have a balance problem, and need the rigid handlebar of the gen one, I'd recommend going with the gen two. Only because the handlebar on the early models are expensive. And the newer models are much easier to learn on.

AZ~glide
07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
The rigid handlebar may be of value when the back issues cause "bad days" [though they would likely not be days I'd do much gliding anyway], although, in general, balance would not seem to prevent me from using the LeanSteer versions. It may be that they are also more fun (just guessing).

bentbiker
07-26-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm already a "cheater" using a recumbent bike with electric assist
That's a double cheater. No self-respecting 'bent rider would be caught dead on a Gen1, unless you need it for lack of mobility/strength/balance issues.;) It sounds like you haven't ridden on a Gen1; if you test them side by side, you'll know what choice you have to make.

wwhopper
07-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Stop in to visit with Brian and Darcie at Segway of Scottsdale.

They are great folks to deal with, and really love the Segway!

Bill Seright
07-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Where are you? We used to live in Glendale just off 67th Avenue, and Eric would go everywhere on Gilligan. There's another guy on the west side named Mike. I don't know where he lives but he and Eric met at MetroCenter mall once to go long distance gliding down the Canal together. Both Eric and I hooked up with NYBill and Stan. At least I think his name was Stan it was the weekend before we moved and we went down what's called "The Green Belt" from the lower side of Scottsdale to Tempe Town Lake.

If you are in Phoenix get with Brian LaMacchia at Segway of Scottsdale. He's a great guy and I believe the #1 dealership of Segways. We ended up buying two i2s from him, but Brian was also responsible for getting us our first Segway - Eric's Gilligan - after we had been ripped off when someone on ebay sold us a hot 167. Because Eric was able to get that 167 back to the original owner all on his own and give the police there in Florida where it was shipped the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the three 20-somethings that stole it along with their PARENT'S names, addresses and phone numbers, Brian was so impressed with that he called a woman who had been trying to sell her deceased father's 180 through Segway of Phoenix and convinced her to drop her price into the high side of our price range.

He's a good guy and won't do you wrong, but he's also extremely busy. His website is http://segwayofscottsdale.com

If you're in Flagstaff I don't think there's a dealership there. But if you're in Tucson I know there used to be a dealership there and I think it's still around.

Thanks,

Bill S.

Silver Fox
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Go with the new i2 or X2 I have the X2 and love it.

AZ~glide
07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and link Wwhopper & Bill, I'll check-out things with Brian & Darcie [they open next on Monday per their site].

I'm in Phoenix/Ahwatukee, which has a bunch of concrete greenbelt paths interconnecting the planned community. The canal paths and greenbelts in Arizona oughta be a ton of fun to ride. The one you rode that stretches through Scottsdale, I did not know made it to Tempe Town Lake [it would prolly be very cool to glide to the July 4th fireworks there!].

I have a curiosity whether the dusty & sandy environment of the canal paths has any affect on the mechanical parts of an i2. I'm guessing the primary difference of that and the x2 is the wheel/tire/hub setup and the bigfootprint/low-pressure tires are mostly what halves the range. Canal paths offer a more direct and less squared-off path to places I frequent, plus they offer a calming lessened exposure to cars, so if an i2 functions well on those it is a definite plus. If the i2 can handle "lighter-duty" trails around the state as well that would be quite versatile.

The possibilities are starting to get me chaumping at the bit.

AZ~glide
07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Silver Fox: thx for your input. It is interesting that you prefer the x2 over the i2. The cushier ride might do my back a tad of a favor. The range would be halved though, right?

Maybe that is not a big deal, depending on uses. I could see attending to some errands et cetera that would cover a total of 15miles, with some significant uphill stretches.

I'm guessing the x2 would be great for trails too. Wonder if anybody takes along supplemental batteries (am afraid to ask about cost if they do)?

The x2 looks stouter and I wonder if that is better for somebody 6'1" 250#, or if the i2 does just fine. The gentleman that stopped and gave me an orientation said he had had guys bigger than me on his i2.

wwhopper
07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and link Wwhopper & Bill, I'll check-out things with Brian & Darcie [they open next on Monday per their site]..

I bet they have not had the time to update their website, as they are already one of the top selling dealers in the USA.

I'm in Phoenix/Ahwatukee, which has a bunch of concrete greenbelt paths interconnecting the planned community. The canal paths and greenbelts in Arizona oughta be a ton of fun to ride..

Great area to glide, but boy they need Segways there, way too many cars.

I have a curiosity whether the dusty & sandy environment of the canal paths has any affect on the mechanical parts of an i2. I'm guessing the primary difference of that and the x2 is the wheel/tire/hub setup and the bigfootprint/low-pressure tires are mostly what halves the range. Canal paths offer a more direct and less squared-off path to places I frequent, plus they offer a calming lessened exposure to cars, so if an i2 functions well on those it is a definite plus. If the i2 can handle "lighter-duty" trails around the state as well that would be quite versatile..

The i2 is a better machine than the earlier ones, I rode my I-167 today, and forget how hard it is to ride compared to the i2. And for what you are doing an i2 will be just fine. The X2 is really a ATV, just on 2 wheels and designed primarily for off road use, while the i2 really is the best of both, it goes off road, and on road. And if you need to get some extra traction tires, they are not hard to find these days. Don't worry about your size, you will do very well on the i2, the X2 really is too big for gliding on sidewalks or in more urban areas. And not to worry about the dust, the machine is very well sealed, all it needs is a good cleaning, putting air in the tires, and charging of the battery, and it is always good to go, rain or shine.

The possibilities are starting to get me chaumping at the bit.

It won't be long before you have a Segway, and with the wonderful fall weather in Arizona, gliding will be all you will want to do.

AZ~glide
07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Wwhopper you are right about the car count in Phoenix...way too many. 4th largest city in the U.S. Traffic usually moves fast (too-fast) & un-skilled to a great extent. Phoenix leads the nation in red-lights run, so crossing an intersection on foot or bike or Segway requires attention.

One huge advantage of the Segway over my recumbent is that it is legal on the sidewalks and, that it is sealed well sounds like it'll open up canal paths too for an i2, even cross-over onto some trails....sweet!

Gihgehls
07-27-2008, 12:50 AM
It is alot harder to do tricks on an gen2 than it is on a gen1.

AZ~glide
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
So the Gen 1s have some different strengths than the 2s apparently. Interesting.

Tricks...hadn't thought about turning, err I mean doing tricks. That mention did get my curiosity going and a search on You tube brought some fun looking antics...even saw George bush falling off one (too bad Gerald Ford didnt get ahold of one).

Saw one guy "walking" his up stairs, which looked like it was fairly easy with a Gen 1.

It also sounds like the Gen 1s are fairly easily convertible to XTs, though I'm not sure I read that right. It was also interesting searching this forum, to learn that later Gen 1s came Saphion equipped.

Llarry
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Been a while since I've been on here, but I'm in the East Valley. I got a used i180 last year. I use it for errands near the house, going out to lunch from the office, and general fun gliding. There's plenty of good gliding around here, particularly in some of the planned communities (just found out last weekend how nice Fulton Ranch in south Chandler is), as long as you're careful on the major streets.

I can recommend Brian, I just bought new (Li-ON) batteries from him (and owe him an email to let him know how things are going -- Sorry Brian!) a few weeks ago. The batteries I got when I bought were old and tired and now I have much more range (haven't yet managed to run them down past half yet!).