PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Connecticut

stephen58
07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Well I bought one, an i2 black. I have been lurking here on the forum for about two weeks reading about them, and wondering if they really worked as good as people said. Never having seen one in person I thought it would be difficult to maneuver and control. So off I went in search of a dealer that had some in stock.

Got to the dealer, went in and looked at them, and pretty much figured that I had probably wasted a 1 ½ driving to the place, but I talked to the dealer anyway. He got out his demonstrator, and showed me the controls, and how it worked. Then he got on it, and glided around the showroom. Then it was my turn. Now I was convinced I had wasted my time, and the dealers. Me, on two wheels, balancing. It’s been probably forty years since I’ve been on two wheels.

In my mind I pictured the carnage I could do bouncing from wall to wall as I careened out of control, running over poor Jerry in the process. I prayed he had medical insurance as I put a tentative foot on the platform, and then I was standing. Maybe just a little wobbly. He had me practice getting on, and off until I was a lot less wobbly.

Then we moved on to going forward, and backward, and importantly, how to stop. All the while Jerry stood in front of me holding the handle bar until I became more confident. Then we moved on to turns, and before to long I was doing figure eights in the showroom. I won’t lie to you, and tell you I was flawless, but I didn't run into any walls, or run over Jerry.

So I thought to myself it wasn’t a complete waste of time, it was actually fun, but I didn't know if it was fun enough to actually buy one. Pretty expensive.

Then Jerry gets his other demonstrator, an x2, and says lets go outside. My anxiety level skyrocketed. I was pretty confident in the showroom, but outside? I didn't know if the world or I was ready for that yet.

We went outside, and practiced stopping, and staying still in their parking lot. I figured that would be the end of it, and then we would go inside, and I would ask the question that I wanted answered. Sure it’s fun on fairly level surfaces, but what about surfaces not so level. Well Jerry wasn’t ready to go in yet, and I got the tour. We went over every type of surface, or combination of surfaces that you could get the machine to go over. The i2 was certainly a capable machine. I did try out the x2, and it rode better I thought, but was too big for me.

Anyway I had a lot of fun, and it certainly wasn’t a waste of time. On the way back, I told Jerry I wanted one, and I picked out the black one when we got back.

Some of Jerry’s last words were-Most people have their first accident with them 2-5 hours after they start to practice. (he was right)

Stephen

BarryT
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey Stephen58, sound like you got broke in nice n proper. Also looks like you survived your little first crash. The machine is elegant and the moves are delicate. Time and experience will give you proper confidence.

I ran into a brick planter during my demo, so I think you did rather well. Just give yourself a wider birth than you think you need. You might also search some of the posts for foot pain or something like that. There are some awesome little tricks to being on your seg for long periods, that will alleviate most aches from standing in one place too long as you glide along.

It's funny how our preconceived notions and judgements are formed arent't they. Boy am I glad you got past that little voice in your head telling you that your wasted your time. You my friend are going to have a blast! Enjoy.

KSagal
07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome Stephen to the wide world of gliding... have fun.

NotQuiteCode3
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Your writing style is great! Please keep posting and let us know about your experiences gliding out and about.

Lynn

mark1qhorsey
07-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Steve,
I was wondering what are the greatest value(s) the PT has for you, after a few hours of practice gliding and the purchase? I have thought about the values and the negative of PTs for months. Thanks, Mark1

stephen58
07-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Steve,
I was wondering what are the greatest value(s) the PT has for you, after a few hours of practice gliding and the purchase? I have thought about the values and the negative of PTs for months. Thanks, Mark1

The biggest value I think the PT has, is it allows you fun freedom of movement. You certainly can get that from other forms of transportation, bike riding, walking, but there is something different about just gliding along.

I don’t have a handicap plaque, and in Connecticut from what I can gather you need one to use the PT on the sidewalks. I don’t think I would have a problem getting one, but I just don’t feel like listening to the Dr. right now about how I should have stopped smoking years ago, and taken better care of myself. Plus, I think the PT gives people who need it for movement another choice. Did I mention it was fun?

So why did I buy it if I can't use it on the sidewalks in Connecticut without a handicapped sticker? Well I use it to take the garbage down to the sidewalk, pick up garbage in front of the house that people throw out their car windows. Take the weed whacker to the property line so I can do that. Pick up dead branches off the lawn. Sure I can walk there, but it’s not the walk out that’s hard. It’s the walk back.

I bought it to use in Maine for the most part. I have a small camp on a gravel road, and it’s been along time since I have been able to take a walk up or down it. So that was my primary reason for buying it once I found out it was fun.

So I would have to say the biggest value that the PT has is freedom of movement for me anyway.

I think the most negative thing about it, is its image. You go to YouTube, and you can see all kinds of crashes, and people using them to jump stuff. No wonder some municipalities freak out. While I don’t think it should be marketed as solely a handicapped item. I think it should be advertised that it can be used for that, and safely.

Sorry for the long post, and the rambling.

Stephen

bentbiker
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
While I don’t think it should be marketed as solely a handicapped item. I think it should be advertised that it can be used for that, and safely.
Stephen, INC can't market the Segway as a medical device for at least 2 different reasons. When they sold J&J the rights to the iBot, they agreed to not compete. And they spent the money necessary for FDA testing of medical devices and they don't want to be forced into spending that money.

You might want to search out some of the many posts on this subject. Evidently, Dean Kamen has some strong feelings on this subject.

BarryT
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
One can go crazy with many things and hurt people....guns, bikes, cars, toys, knives, forks, pencils. I believe that as people continue to use them responsibly they will become more accepted in more uses and regions. i.e. we're ambassadors or segway.

The utube videos can be entertaining, but realize that people watch those (including me) because it's interesting, entertaining, or whatever you want to call it. This is why action/adventure movies are such money makers. Not many people have the patience to watch someone ride a segway (on utube) with gently movements. Now in person, this is a different perspective, just gliding along a path or sidewalk gets comments on every single ride.

Change perspective, change the world. Some used to think the world was flat.

mark1qhorsey
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Good thoughts Steve, have fun gliding. From your first post
I didn't get the impression that you have impaired movement.
Great for your freedom!