PDA

View Full Version : Hello

ladyshopteacher
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I've been researching different options to going to work...I'm off for the summer and thought I'd find out more about segways through this chat. I've learned so much already and am planning on taking an intro ride from a local vendor. I commute about 3 miles and tried riding my bike but too many cars and feel too scared with no protection against the 50mph cars. Everybody seems so nice and helpful. This is my first time on a chat.

wwhopper
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Plus your local dealer Segway of Orange County, is top notch, they frequent this board, so make sure you let them know you are a Segway Chat member!

bentbiker
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I've been researching different options to going to work...I'm off for the summer and thought I'd find out more about segways through this chat. I've learned so much already and am planning on taking an intro ride from a local vendor. I commute about 3 miles and tried riding my bike but too many cars and feel too scared with no protection against the 50mph cars. Everybody seems so nice and helpful. This is my first time on a chat.
You say you are in OC. That is a pretty big area. If you feel comfortable giving a bit more info, perhaps another user could help you decide.

ladyshopteacher
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
If you could give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

dgbint
07-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Welcome Lady Shop Teacher

Your best bet is to visit one of the local Segway Dealers.
Take a 2 hour Segway Tour.

Realistic expectations are:

#1 You will enjoy it.
#2 Most of your questions will be answered.
#3 If you end up buying one, the dealer is most likely to refund the cost of the tour.

The worst outcome, is you spend a few dollars on the tour, have some fun and don't proceed. That's not too shabby, as the worst case.

Good Luck
Michael

jgbackes
07-11-2008, 01:40 AM
On a totally different subject... What shop class do you teach?

cmonkey
07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
aside from the general learning curve...

The thing to watch out for is cars coming out of blind driveways. Especially if you're gliding on the left side of the road.

On a seg, it's very easy to come up to driveways much quicker than your average pedestrian. And, most drivers are looking left as they roll through the sidewalk preparing to turn right.

bentbiker
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
If you could give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.
I plan to suggest a ride from either Windrow Park (Irvine) or Back Bay on 7/25 or 7/26 now that Beachrider is back and you could meet us there. You have several co-riders in the Huntington Beach/Seal Beach area who might volunteer to meet you in the meantime.

BarryT
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
If you want to use my seg I will be happy to give you what pointers I can, show you how it works, we can just meet somewhere where there is lots of room to give you beginners comfort level. A parking lot or park somewhere nearby. Just lemme know, you can PM me in case I don't see the response in this thread.

Your fears are understandable, but also remember around orange county we can and do ride on sidewalks. Cars don't usually go on sidewalks, pedestrians do and we are pedestrians on these.

cmonkey
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Now there's a great place to get your gliding legs!

ladyshopteacher
07-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I teach woodshop to middle school students. It's ALOT of fun.

BarryT
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Funny, I read your post after I already sent her a PM, I came to the same conclusion :)