PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Patent Application Update

dave27
10-18-2002, 04:57 PM
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=sunstein&OS=sunstein&RS=sunstein

Here are some interesting bits

[0007] In accordance with another aspect of the invention, there is provided a rider support trailer for a dynamically balanced transporter having a support and an attachment coupled to the support. The rider support trailer has a base having a bottom side and a top side and a pivot coupled to the base for permitting motion of the base about a horizontal axis with respect to the support of the transporter. The rider support trailer also has a ground-contacting member coupled to the bottom side of the base and a substantially vertical support column coupled to the top surface of the base, and a rider support that may be a seat coupled to the support column.

[0008] In accordance with a further aspect of the invention, the platform of a trailer for supporting a user in a standing position may have a characteristic transverse linear dimension substantially comparable to the shoulder width of the user.

[0024] Alternate embodiments of the invention employ a scissors linkage as depicted in the bottom view shown in FIGS. 5a and 5b. Referring first to FIG. 5a, trailer 30 is, again, coupled to transporter 32, where transporter 32 is preferably a dynamically balancing vehicle. Coupling to transporter 32 may be by means of hitch 70 which pivots about horizontal (pitch) axis 72 to allow leaning of the transporter. In the embodiment shown in FIGS. 5a and 5b, trailer 30 rides on a single trailer wheel 74, however trailers with additional wheels or other ground-contacting elements, such as skids, for example, are within the scope of the present invention. Trailer wheel 74 pivots about a vertical (yaw) axis 76 to allow it to track as the transporter executes turns. Scissor linkage 78 provides for steering of wheel 74 to allow for tight turns of the coupled system 80 of transporter and trailer. In fact, as depicted in FIG. 5b, coupled system 80 of transporter 32 and trailer 30 may be rotated in place, as shown by arrows 82, to the degree that wheel 74 is perpendicular to line 84 connecting the center 86 of rotation axis 88 of transporter 32 to vertical axis 76 of steerability of wheel 74, at which point coupled system 80 may turn in place.

[0025] Referring now to FIG. 6a, a bottom view is shown of a further embodiment of the invention in which trailer 90 has two non-castering wheels 92 and trailer 90 is coupled to transporter 32 at ball joint 94, allowing rotation about all axes. In an alternate embodiment shown in FIG. 6b, trailer 96 is supported above the ground by a single non-castering wheel 98 and is coupled to transporter 32 at universal joint 100, permitting rotation about both pitch and yaw axes. Both of the embodiments of FIGS. 6a and 6b effectively decouple trailers 90 and 96, respectively, from fore/aft leaning of the transporter 32, which, as described above, may be used for control of the motion of the coupled systems. A further feature of the embodiments described is that trailers 90 and 96 and, more particularly, their platforms 60 (indicated in FIG. 4) may be size to accommodate a person in either a standing or a seated position. In preferred embodiments of the invention, the platforms have a characteristic transverse linear dimension substantially comparable to the shoulder width of a user. Since the leaning of the respective trailer and transporter components are effectively decoupled, a passenger standing on the trailer need merely hold onto the driver of the transporter in order to maintain balance. Additionally, by exerting force on the driver of the transporter, it is possible for the passenger conveyed on the trailer to drive the coupled system.

[0026] In accordance with an alternate embodiment of the invention depicted schematically in FIG. 6c, multiple trailers 102 may be attached to each other in series and drawn by a single transporter 32.

-dave

Casey
10-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the link Dave. Do you get the drawings? I get nothing but blank pages when I access the images.

zeppo123
10-18-2002, 05:54 PM
I wish we would see some real pictures with the seat.

dave27
10-19-2002, 12:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

Thanks for the link Dave. Do you get the drawings? I get nothing but blank pages when I access the images.

I do see the images - they are the prior art images from the original patent application. You may need to install the Tiff viewer. It can be found on this page:

http://209.119.26.39/patft/images.htm

-dave

dave27
10-19-2002, 12:35 AM

One of the interesting things I pulled from this was the ability for the coupled system (when using the scissor connector) to spin in place. Also, the ability for the person on the trailer to effectively become the driver by exerting force on the person on the transporter.

So now, I'm picturing in my head a uniball version of both the transporter & trailer that would effectively allow the riders to glide around as if they were skiing or dancing.

heh.

-dave

Blinky
10-19-2002, 03:50 AM
quote:http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=sunstein&OS=sunstein&RS=sunstein
You guys check out picture #4, looks like a seat :)

what it really is quote:[0013] FIG. 4 shows a side view of a trailer coupled to a dynamically balancing vehicle by means of a pivot disposed rearward of the support platform of the vehicle in accordance with other embodiments of the invention; and

Casey
10-19-2002, 09:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by dave27

I do see the images - they are the prior art images from the original patent application. You may need to install the Tiff viewer. It can be found on this page:

http://209.119.26.39/patft/images.htm

-dave

Thanks, I remember having to install that before. I had to do a complete reinstall of my OS and didn't remember what it was I needed.

Now I'm getting the drawings fine.