PDA

View Full Version : Commuting in the Northwest?

jimnbeck
06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I've Googled and found several interesting stories on Segway commuters here in the Northwest (a physician and his nurse wife in Seattle, a Microsoft engineer in Redmond, etc.)

Rain. What are the realities re: a commute in steady winter rain? Cornering? Traction? Visibility to cars? I would approach clothing much like a motorcycle commuter, plus a full helmet with glare shield.

Anyone with experience in such conditions, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

Jim

Suzined
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
We greatly exaggerate the rain to keep Oregonians south of the creek. Try Rain-X on your glasses and wear light colored clothing. Watch out for water, it could be hiding a pot hole, and be careful of wet leaves and mud--all very slippery and prone to a loss of traction. Welcome aboard!

scotty1024
07-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Watch out for water, it could be hiding a pot hole, and be careful of wet leaves and mud--all very slippery and prone to a loss of traction.

I've been carefully scanning my route for things that could go badly when wet.

I've begun cautious remedies on some of them snip snip and kick dirt off to the side. I've also been paying close attention to bumps and circling back to inspect them closely to see if they're pot holes.

Last Wednesday June 25 was apparently National Rundown a Segway on Your Way to Work Day (and no one here warned me!) Since then I've put a pocket sized air horn on order with plans to use it to enhance my "visibility" for inattentive drivers (I got two that morning).

This is what I wanted, but alas no 12V power (you'd think for $7K it would have a cigarette lighter in the console) http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-425-Cucaracha-Air-Horn/dp/B00029XHWC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1214976807&sr=8-16

This is what I have on order: http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-HORN-MINI-1-4oz-50074011/dp/B000XQ5B1Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1214976807&sr=8-2