PDA

View Full Version : New Member from San Diego, Some Questions

mexor
06-26-2008, 04:29 AM
I just moved to San Diego (from MA) and am looking at buying a segway soon. I was on vacation in Long Beach and tried one (an i2 I believe) and had way too much fun. I've read about the differences between the I2 and the first gen models, but I don't really know what they're talking about. If I bought an I180 would it be similar/as fun as the i2? Or should I just go with the i2? Also is there anywhere that still rents first gen models?

I don't commute to work (work from home) so I don't really care about how far I can go. It's mainly because I live on top of a big hill, and to get to grocery stores, restaurants, etc, I have to go about 1/2 mile and would like to use a Segway.

Also if anyone has a used one for sale, I'm very interested!
-Dave

Moebius
06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
I've read about the differences between the I2 and the first gen models, but I don't really know what they're talking about. If I bought an I180 would it be similar/as fun as the i2?

I have not ridden any of the 1st generation Segways, so I do not have first hand knowledge of riding one. I do have an i2 (2nd gen), so I can tell how it is to ride one of those. Some of the others, I'm sure, will chime in on the differences with the 1st gen models.

I have heard that the steering on the 1st gen models was much different than the 2nd gen. The steering on the i2 is VERY intuitive because you move the steering column in the direction you want to go. Moving it to the left turns left, moving it to the right, turns right. I have heard that the 1st gen models have a "knob" on the handle that you rotate to turn each direction, but the column that the handlebar is on is fixed. SegwayDan was telling me while we were on a glide that he used to have a 1st gen model and the steering was not nearly as nice as the 2nd gen models and that's one reason he ended up getting an i2 as opposed to coverting his 1st gen model to new battery technology.

As for as the batteries go, you mention that you are not concerned with range since you work from home and are only planning short trips. If you are planning a long trip, however, I would go with a 2nd gen model. I have been commuting TO work 2 days a week on my i2 and I live 17.6 miles away. I don't think the 1st gen models got that kind of range, but I defer to those who have had or still own one.

As far as price goes, you will most likely find a 1st gen model for cheaper than you can get a 2nd gen model. It will be used, of course. You can find used 2nd gen models, I have seen them advertised here on SegwayChat. There are also deals to be had on new 2nd gen models. I bought mine from an eBay seller and got a decent price and didn't have to pay sales tax. There are also some dealers who have gone out of business selling off their inventories at nice discounts. Sam's Club offers WHITE i2's for sale on their web site for $4,498 + tax + shipping. Also, I have heard that "local" dealers will be willing to negotiate prices. I say "local", because the nearest dealer to me is 50 miles away and they are not open on weekends.

Hope this helps some.

cadavev
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I have an i2 and my dad has an XT a 1st gen offroad version. Personally i loe the i2 it is some much more fun to ride last week my neighbor and i took a glide and he rode my i2 while i was on the xt and i swear i wanted to break the shaft everytime i wanted to turn. Personally i love the i2 but there is nothing worng with the 1st gen. I know Jim at Segway Oc has 1st gen machines for sale and you may want to check with him. See ya

mexor
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I was hoping everyone would say they're about the same. I can see myself spending $3k, but $5k seems a little steep (for not really needing one)! Maybe I should get an office 3 miles away so I have a reason to get one :D

pam
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
$5k might not seem steep at all when gas gets to $5 or $6 a gallon :).

I have both models, and enjoy both of them. The i2 is more intuitive, but if the i2 had not been invented, I'd be perfectly happy on my gen1. In some respects the machines are very much alike (they both balance on 2 wheels, etc.), but in other respects, they're different, particularly in the turning department.

Good luck with your choice. The worst thing that will happen is that you might wish you'd gotten the i2 when you had the gen 1, but you'll never regret having bought a machine, IMHO.

Pam

Suzined
06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I've been gliding on an i180 for eighteen months and dearly love it. I have balance problems so the rigid stalk on the i180 makes it the better machine for me.

As I'm handicapped, the airlines will fly my Segway free of charge if I have my Nickel batteries installed. Li-Ions are not allowed on passenger aircraft and the i2/x2 can only run on Lions. The i180 can use either Nickels or Lions which makes it far more versatile. I have a set of Lions for normal use and Nickels for traveling.

An i180 with Li-Ion batteries has the same range as an i2. The x2 doesn't have the legs of the i2 or i180 because of the softer tires. The Nickel batteries do not have as much range as the Li-Ions.

I'm told the x2 is great for polo and other aberrant conduct. (Okay already, I'm joking) (...well, maybe.) But many/most malls and stores don't want an x2 inside. ADA guidelines are such that x2s are usually barred. This is because of their width. x2s are also excluded from many sidewalks so while they may be "cool", they are not versatile.

A Segway is not all that great for Christmas shopping because carrying large packages rather difficult. My wife solved that problem by restrict my shopping for her to the jewelry counter at Nordstrom's.

timbadabim
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Welcome to San Diego Dave.

I am an obsessive Segway i2 owner/glider and am Mr. Know-it-all. I will talk incessantly about Segwaysn’ San Diego to anyone who will listen. And I have an extra, sweet, little Segway p133, plugged in, and sitting idle.

Hope to get together.

Tim

mexor
06-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Is the p133 similar to the i180 model? I really want to try a first gen model to see if I'd wanna buy one of them (and save some money). Having just graduated college a month or so ago, I feel like I shouldn't be spending all my money so fast! I definitely hate being cheap though, I always found that if I spend a little extra I get a quality product (tempurpedic bed, aeron chair, etc), I just don't know if the added benefits of the I2 would really make all the difference, as this is more of a "toy" for me.

wwhopper
06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Is the p133 similar to the i180 model? I just don't know if the added benefits of the I2 would really make all the difference, as this is more of a "toy" for me.

The p-133 is a GREAT machine, and people who have them love them. But they are considerably different, slower max speed, limited range and special batteries. Plus they are small. They were designed for use indoors and not really as a long distance runner like the I series in general, and for sure not for offroad use with their small tires.

I-180 or i2 - both similar in size, but very different due to the lean steer in the Gen Two (i2)

If you were looking for a good all around machine, look for a decent I-167 and go from there. I-167's are relatively cheap, just make sure you get some good batteries, and now with dealers carrying reconditioned batteries, you will have a better chance of getting good batteries at a lower price than the new ones.

The P-133 is very scarce, and has become a cult machine, so if you do find one, it may not be at a price that makes sense.

Find a local Segway user and bend their ear about the Segway and try one from them, as well as a dealer. Educate yourself and see what really fits for your lifestyle, not just because it is a cheap buy. You may think of it as a toy at first, but soon the Segway will become a major part of your life, and the thought of it as a toy will soon fade!

Welcome Mexor, we look forward to hearing from you on your Segway adventures, and congrats on your graduation!

bentbiker
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Is the p133 similar to the i180 model? I really want to try a first gen model to see if I'd wanna buy one of them (and save some money). Having just graduated college a month or so ago, I feel like I shouldn't be spending all my money so fast! I definitely hate being cheap though, I always found that if I spend a little extra I get a quality product (tempurpedic bed, aeron chair, etc), I just don't know if the added benefits of the I2 would really make all the difference, as this is more of a "toy" for me.
If you are asking whether riding Tim's P133 will tell you whether you can live with a Gen1, I think it will probably do that quite well -- and I predict that in a very short time you will realize that the Gen2 is what you want.

SEGsby
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
No Leensteer = less fun.

Sams Club has new White i2's for $4500.

SEGsby

I just moved to San Diego (from MA) and am looking at buying a segway soon. I was on vacation in Long Beach and tried one (an i2 I believe) and had way too much fun. I've read about the differences between the I2 and the first gen models, but I don't really know what they're talking about. If I bought an I180 would it be similar/as fun as the i2? Or should I just go with the i2? Also is there anywhere that still rents first gen models?

I don't commute to work (work from home) so I don't really care about how far I can go. It's mainly because I live on top of a big hill, and to get to grocery stores, restaurants, etc, I have to go about 1/2 mile and would like to use a Segway.

Also if anyone has a used one for sale, I'm very interested!
-Dave

BarryT
07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I own an i180 and have also ridden the newer i2. To make a real decision you've got to really understand the differences between them. Take the previous advice and try both. If you cannot find an i180 to ride - i''ll make you a deal. You rent the i2 for me, and I'll bring the i180 and we'll ride together for as long as you like one day. I live in huntington beach and would be happy to bring the i180 down to san diego. I'm also sending you this in a PM.

BarryT

mexor
07-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Sent you a PM Barry.
Ended up getting Tim's P133. It's SO much fun. I took it down the street today, and feel way too confident too soon, I'm sure my first crash is coming. Now I just gotta get a bag and lock.
Also was wondering, theres a starbucks/jamba juice not too far from me, any way to carry drinks on the segway? Obviously a bag wouldn't work. Thanks again guys for all your help

cmonkey
07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Now I just gotta get a bag and lock.
Also was wondering, theres a starbucks/jamba juice not too far from me, any way to carry drinks on the segway? Obviously a bag wouldn't work. Thanks again guys for all your help

You'll definitely want a bag to at least carry a lock in it. The added mass will help cut down on the balance shakes. As for carrying drinks, I've found it helpful to keep a plastic shopping bag or two in my Segway bag for just such an occasion. (for more than one drink) otherwise, I ride with one hand in my pocket, the other holding my cup of coffee.

geckomama
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
The hubby & I just ordered each of us a drink holder from a local boating store. It is heavy duty plastic and will bracket right on to the accessory bar on our i2's. Will have to test it out to see if it works for a Starbuck's or Jamba, but looks to be just the ticket for a water bottle or can of choice beverage!

pam
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
pictures, pictures!!! :)

bentbiker
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The hubby & I just ordered each of us a drink holder from a local boating store. It is heavy duty plastic and will bracket right on to the accessory bar on our i2's. Will have to test it out to see if it works for a Starbuck's or Jamba, but looks to be just the ticket for a water bottle or can of choice beverage!
Sent you a PM Barry.
Ended up getting Tim's P133. It's SO much fun. I took it down the street today, and feel way too confident too soon, I'm sure my first crash is coming. Now I just gotta get a bag and lock.
Will you both be showing off your rides and cup holders at the parade on the 4th? It's not that far, Mexor

GlideDog
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Drink holders for geckomama and GlideDog will not be available for a week cause I had to order black. White and blue were the only colors on hand at the local stores (Boater's World). Pictures to follow if they work and get installed. As far as the Parade goes unsure at this point. Great forum! See you on the glide.