PDA

View Full Version : New member from Seattle

Midgetina
06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Just got two Segways, one for off-road use, which is my favorite. I have MS and I really love using the Segway to get out in the world again, instead of viewing it through the car window. Now that I have the Segways to help me get around (I'm not wheelchair-bound, just can't walk any distance on these wobbly legs), I can't help but wonder why I didn't think of this before! I have the Segway disabled sticker on my front bag and am always glad to explain to people how and why I use the Segway.

My husband, Roland, registered as a new member a few weeks ago and has been encouraging me to chime in on the some of the posts regarding disabled use of Segways, so here I am. I've been lurking for quite a while...

segaddict
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
1. I, too have a disability the prevents me from walking long distances. I bought the Segway (I2) for metropolitan inter-city travel when I have to travel there for work. Has anyone ever taken an income tax deduction (medical expense) for the purchase of their Segway.

2. Also, wondering whether anyone has ever traveled with their Segway on an airline (airports are some of the worst places for walking lengthy distances)? It would seen tantamount to traveling with an electric wheelchair, but I am just anticipating problems before experiencing them.

3. Do they make a carrying/shipping case to house the Segway?

Thanks for the help,

John

jgbackes
06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

It's nice to have you here. I hope you enjoy your Segway, it's the most fun way to see all of the beauty out there. As far as your MS, take it easy for the first few trips, and watch the temperature. I'm sure you're aware of problems with nerve induction as outside temp increases.

I just got back from Yosimite, there is NO WAY I could have done that without my Segway.

bentbiker
06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
1. I, too have a disability the prevents me from walking long distances. I bought the Segway (I2) for metropolitan inter-city travel when I have to travel there for work. Has anyone ever taken an income tax deduction (medical expense) for the purchase of their Segway.
If you do a search from the menu bar for "deduction", you will find plenty of posts. The following is a recent and detailed post: http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpost.php?p=171084&postcount=12 .

2. Also, wondering whether anyone has ever traveled with their Segway on an airline (airports are some of the worst places for walking lengthy distances)? It would seen tantamount to traveling with an electric wheelchair, but I am just anticipating problems before experiencing them.
Lots of people travel with their Segs, but only Gen1 units with NiMH batteries. Lithium Ion batteries, as used on the i2, cannot travel on passenger planes.

3. Do they make a carrying/shipping case to house the Segway?
Again, you may want to do a search for all the previous postings, but a recently announced unit is really nice, but expensive: http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=18119

Thanks for the help,

John..........

BillK
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I just got back from Seattle - honestly - Seattle is probably the best place I have ever seen for Segways - they have bike paths and trails everywhere - wide sidewalks - friendly people - You would not want to go into Pike's market on one - but almost everywhere else they would be great.
Bill

Suzined
06-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by segaddict:
1. ...Has anyone ever taken an income tax deduction (medical expense) for the purchase of their Segway. Yes, and for the hauler and insurance as well. If the IRS doesn't agree, I'm sure they will let me know and we can have a discussion at that time. I read the IRS provisions and, since my doctor recommended a Segway, I claim it. I admit I am not conservative when I do my own taxes. I've been audited three times in twenty-five years. Once I had to pay $150 more, once we discovered I'd left off a deduction so I got an additional refund of $200, and the third time they agreed with my return; got a letter of no deficiency.

2. Also, wondering whether anyone has ever traveled with their Segway on an airline? Traveling with your Segway is the only way to go! The airlines make it so easy. The first time or two you'll be worried but that will pass. Make sure you remove your Li-ion batteries (they cannot be flown!) and use NiMH--this is really, really important. I do not use a case, fly mine naked. I did install the x2 handles on my i180 so baggage handlers had something to grab onto--suspect this has reduced damage. Use the handicapped lane at security, it will really speed things along. In fact, I feel rather sorry for those traveling without a Segway, it has to be a hassle. My wife also has an i180 so if mine gets stove up, I'll have the airline send mine to the Mother Ship and when I get home I'll use the wife's--remember to periodically bring her flowers for no reason at all.

Moonshark
06-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Wanted to say Hi to All,
(but especially Midgetina and Segaddict.)

I have MS and have been struggling for a while with a cane and recently 2 canes. I am getting a I2 with a seat that folds up. Found it, and then you segwaychat Folks through a group called DRAFT. Everyone has been so nice to me.I get it on Friday. I bought a seg-knockoff called Q Chariot for $800. I convinced myself that it would be better because it didn't rely on my balance. It is amazing how efficiently I lie to myself after 41 years. Too make a long story short me and my Motorized Dolley with a Steering Wheel rode home in the ambulance that night. Like A. Stevenson said when he lost the election
"I'm too old to cry but hurts too much laugh."
It has been a lot of time in isolation so I am really Jacked About Friday!
Any advice from other riders is appreciated. WEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Midgetina
06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Wanted to say Hi to All,
(but especially Midgetina and Segaddict.)

It has been a lot of time in isolation so I am really Jacked About Friday!
Any advice from other riders is appreciated. WEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Hey Moonshark -- welcome to Segway Chat! I can feel your enthusiasm for your newfound freedom and, as a fellow MS sufferer, I can relate! I KNOW you'll enjoy your Segway! Keep us posted (and be sure not to lean on the steering column when you dismount ---that really hurts:D not enough to require an ambulance, but still painful!)