PDA

View Full Version : I'm Smitten...

dearwestley
06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Morning, folks! I live right at 8.8 miles from work, and wanted to find out if the Segway was an appropriate commuter medium in our fair city. (Been looking at Vespas, electric bikes -- no, actually, went down the E-Bike path when Mr. Iacocca first released it -- it now hangs in the garage...) So, went to our local Segway dealership, rented one for a week, and in two days, I'm trying to figure out how much plasma works into 6K. The ride back and forth was easy, and in the evening, believe it or not, instead of the 1 hour 30 minutes it takes me in traffic to go 8.8 miles (city driving...rush hour...west side to Hollywood...ick...) it took me 1 hour 15 minutes. And it was SO MUCH FUN!

So, before taking the plunge, does anyone else have a comparable commute or any additional advice? Anyone else in the Los Angeles area on this forum riding one? (I've scoped a couple of commuters that wizzed by me in traffic, but that's it...)

Thanks Kindly.

Stanrss
06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the world of gliding..I think 8 miles is a nice distance, but when I get on my segway I usually don't get off till I use up 7 or 8 bars of battery.. Los Angeles is a great place to use the segway. Good weather and lots of different places to go. I like big city gliding better than the urban areas.. 3 years and I still want to get on my machine and glide...

Mr_Laurenzano
06-07-2008, 01:45 PM
...don't encourage him. We all know how addictive this mode of transportation can be. This is how we can help him.

Dear Sir:
How is LA? I haven’t been there in some time the traffic makes me want to puke. Eight mile to work is cool, being able to park 8 miles away from anything big down there and glide in can actually cure depression.

So open up and swallow that pill, you were going to give the money to the oil company anyway, don’t they have enough?
~Wow look at all the pretty colors.

Have a nice day
Crash
p.s. welcome to California...your home.

dearwestley
06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
OK, I jest. And you guys aren't any help... not that I was looking for help... So, how long have you had your Segways? And when I take the plunge (wow, we got from want to need very quickly...), what accessories do you recommend?

wwhopper
06-07-2008, 03:51 PM
No matter what, everyone who uses a Segway every day gets to celebrate that they are out in the real world passing by the cars, and able to get directly to where they are going and see sights they never knew existed before.

For sure make time to visit a local Segway dealer, and in your area you have a number of them.

Talk to local users, there is a couple of Segway Enthusiast Groups down your way, we even held SegwayFesT in Long Beach a couple of years ago.

Check out Segway.com and do the build your thing, and then look for local dealers.

Think i2 with a commuter package, which includes all the real basics, plus at least one thing or another you might not really need.

My choices for accessories for urban gliding are:
Comfort mats - they are a must
Segway Lock is always helpful
Segway Bag is great for carrying stuff, if you need more space, a back pack or over the shoulder tote work well too.
If you will be gliding at night a headlight and tail light

If your dealer is willing, try renting for a week, and try your commute via Segway to see if it really is an option for you.

Mr_Laurenzano
06-07-2008, 04:20 PM
OK, I jest. And you guys aren't any help... not that I was looking for help... So, how long have you had your Segways? And when I take the plunge (wow, we got from want to need very quickly...), what accessories do you recommend?

Dear Smittin; or do you go by something else?

I bought number 1394 on amazon, when you could buy them on line.
My first purchase from segway of oakland was a bag[very handy].
The comfort mats are a givin, new running shoes go great with them.
You have to have a light, carry a mini mag for those out of view moments.
A personal taser is always a plus, but use your words.
A copy of the CA vehicle code to include Senate Bill 1918 and XT/2 rules.
A copy of your progressive insurance policy.
A WILL to Glide
"No matter what, everyone who uses a Segway every day gets to celebrate that they are out in the real world passing by the cars, and able to get directly to where they are going and see sights they never knew existed before."
Crash

cmonkey
06-07-2008, 05:14 PM
In LA you can take your seg on the Subway!

dearwestley
06-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh, that name thing. Russell. So, in addition to my new running shoes and my new taser, I should identify the CA code for traffic personnel who are trying to keep me safe. And a copy of my insurance policy? Something I hadn't considered, but makes some sense, I presume. I looked at the code but didn't see a requirement for insurance. Is there one?

dearwestley
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
It gets better and better...

cmonkey
06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
If you want an excerpt of SB1918, email me, I've got a doc I can send you. I've got mine laminated so it looks better and lasts longer in my bag.

Back in 05 when I got my seg, I called my carrier (state farm) and they said I'm covered under my homeowners policy. It was verbal so who knows.

As far as insurance goes, I've just been careful and haven't had a problem.
I think the only reason you'd want insurance would be for theft.

dearwestley
06-07-2008, 11:23 PM
That'd be swell. Thanks ever so kindly. Russell (at) SewingArtsCenter (dot) com

jgbackes
06-08-2008, 03:15 AM
I use State Farm as well, they now have separate insurance for the Segway it runs about $100 a year. It's listed as a "mini bike" just like my Honda C-50 when I was 10 years old...

Welcome!

dearwestley
06-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information, Jeff. I'll give State Farm a holler. It appears that I'll have to name my Segway, too... Or does that just kind of happen of its own accord?

Have a great day!

PeteInLongBeach
06-09-2008, 02:21 AM
I use State Farm as well, they now have separate insurance for the Segway it runs about $100 a year. It's listed as a "mini bike" just like my Honda C-50 when I was 10 years old...

I already had State Farm and added the Segway for about $70 per year, which covers theft and liability.

Spider108
06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
My wife and I glide to work most mornings, then we meet for lunch at home, then glide back to work...and meet up after work again for the ride home. I have attached a backpack to the handle bar and strapped it around the neck so it's "snug". We will stop at the store and "fill it" then glide home sometimes 12 miles in a day. Love the looks, love the questions and it's like the sidewalks were built just for us. Rarely do we run into anyone else using them.
Gas just hit $4.40 p/g here in Northern California. We load them in the truck and take them when we travel. It's the best investment I did!!!! Last year we bought two 2006 I180 models for $3500.00 each in Sacramento - NEW. I expect they will pay for them selves in another year.

PeteInLongBeach
06-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Love the looks, love the questions and it's like the sidewalks were built just for us. Rarely do we run into anyone else using them.
Gas just hit $4.40 p/g here in Northern California. We load them in the truck and take them when we travel.

I very rarely run into other gliders. But, during my weekend visit in San Diego, I spent most of the day gliding around the city and Balboa Park and happened upon a nice older couple on a pair of white i2s in the park. They said they take their Segways on all their travels. It was truly a rare encounter, and made a gorgeous day even better!

Moebius
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I bought number 1394 on amazon, when you could buy them on line.

You can buy a white i2 on-line at SamsClub.com

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=378847&pCatg=10599

for $4,498.

Mr_Laurenzano
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
I WOULD NEVER BUY FROM SAMS CLUB. What would they say when you had a problem?

dearwestley
06-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks kindly to all of you for your input. I've read lots of threads, and of particular interest was the one with the 17 mile commute one way! I remain smitten, and am researching my options. Like everyone else, price certainly weighs as a factor, but equally important to me is easy and accessible service and assistance. I've got feelers out to several dealerships in my area, and most likely will be riding my own by...oh, let's say Wednesday! (If I can pull it together, it'll be tomorrow...)

Moebius
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
I WOULD NEVER BUY FROM SAMS CLUB. What would they say when you had a problem?

Since the unit is shipped directly from corporate, you would deal with a local dealer or Segway. What does it matter who you buy it from? You have to go through a dealer or corporate anyway for anything related to the warranty.

dearwestley
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
It matters to me from whom I purchase everything these days.

I am also a retail business owner, and appreciate the need people have to weigh cost of product versus service provided for a product. I also know how difficult it can be to operate a business, to pay staff a reasonable wage, to provide staff health and vacation benefits, but then to have to compete in the market solely based upon price when a customer is purchasing an item using personal financial cost as the sole determining factor of where to buy an item.

So, yes, I haved seen that my coveted Segway is available from Sam's Club at quite a bit less than my local dealerships, and I also see that I can have it shipped to me from out of state and pay much less. And I will use these as my negotiating platform, certainly before I purchase one, as I don't expect to pay full retail. (Though I will admit, I searched high and low for my iPhone...and go figure...it was the same price EVERYWHERE...)

If I have a choice, (and when purchasing a large ticket item such as this, I certainly do), I will support an independent dealership that provides excellent customer service and follow up everytime. (By the way, I'm also not beyond asking what staff in a place is paid, if the staff receives commission, and if health benefits are provided -- those are MY criteria. I'm not so certain big box stores care much about obligation to employees beyond minimum wage...)

In my circumstance, I don't expect my local dealerships to match Sam's Club, but I do expect them to make some effort toward this. I can identify deeply with independents in my community in which I also do business and understand the huge costs associated with independent brick and mortar businesses in Los Angeles. And I also know that small brick and mortar retail businesses across the country share many of my same concerns as a retail business owner (ah...the joys of entrepreneurship...)

And if and when I need service or assistance in some way, I'll have a readily available resource with which I've already established a relationship. And I can know that I'm actually helping in some small way a business in my local community to pay staff, the rent, the utilities... and that whether this business is making less, the same or fortunate to make more than my own business, I'm actually supporting the livelihood of folks in my local economy.

Oh, but I digress... What a tangled thread I weave! Now...off to see if I can get my Segway today!

Moebius
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
You have to ask yourself why places like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are in business despite their lack of concern for their employees. I happen to agree with you that shopping at a store whose parent company is not very concerned with employees is not to my liking, but I do understand why those stores are in business.

I believe that there are those who simply want the lowest price even though they can afford to pay full price. My wife is one of them. How many of you know a person who gets a high from getting a good deal? It almost like winning a prize when my wife finds something at a much lower price than another store. Those people rarely think about what sacrifices went into bringing that product to market at that price.

What about the people who NEED the lowest price no matter what? These are the people on the fringes of poverty who can barely afford food, let alone gas at $4.00 per gallon. These are the people that shop at Wal-Mart for clothes, food, housewares, entertainment. Do you think they care about the sweat-shops producing the products for Wal-Mart? Hell no. They are trying to survive just like anyone else.

It's easy for people who can afford a Segway to stand on top of the mountain and preach about the things that matter to us. But do you think the people who can't afford to put gas in their cars are listening?