PDA

View Full Version : Phil

g041579
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I just bought a x2 in Oregon and I was wondering how the Segway holds up in rain?

dgbint
06-01-2008, 05:52 PM
The Segway is designed to make you an empowered pedestrian.
Anything you can reasonably do as a foot pedestrian, you should be able to do on a Segway PT.

So if it's hot, you get hot ( no airconditioning ).
If it's wet, you get wet ( no roof, no wind shield etc ).

A Segway is not designed to be fully immersed but it is well capable of running during damp weather.

Just exercise a bit of extra caution in the wet.
Traction is reduced, so don't push it too hard, that's asking for trouble.
Avoid puddles ( you never know how deep they may be ).

Enjoy !
Michael

wwhopper
06-01-2008, 07:17 PM
When a sprinkle of rain, was good weather, but on the largest group glide of the event, the heavens opened up and it rained hard and long.

And we were all out there en-mass on our Segways, with only a few shut downs, that was in the day of the Gen One machines and when water got into the keyports often it caused shut downs.

Let it rain, let it snow, Its A Segway, It will Go!

Just keep it clean and don't invite water into your machine and you will be fine!

g041579
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies about the rain.Has anybody found a
good raincoat to wear with PT?

Suzined
06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Put a plastic bag in your pocket. When it rains, put the bag over your i180/167 CS, making sure the key port is covered.

Don't forget Rain-X on your glasses.

If you were a native Oregonian, you wouldn't notice rain...only sunshine.

pam
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I've always kept a very cheap poncho in my handlebar bag, and used it to cover me and the keyport on the gen1's - but do remember that you don't want to hold onto the poncho and then handle bars at the same time. It will restrict your ability to lean forward and back.

Now in Oregon... you might need a heavier duty poncho <G>.
Pam

mark1qhorsey
06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I just bought a x2 in Oregon and I was wondering how the Segway holds up in rain?

Hi Phil, As your question suggests there is a surprising lack of clarity about the reliability of the PT in any weather extremes. I am a prospective owner who'd like to know about these things in advance before dropping $ 6 K on one too! An X2 should have pretty good traction and general capabilities in rain. But like most of us, we'll have to guinea pig test it, in weather etc., ourselves. Please give the community updates as you glide! Riding a PT in the winter rain of Oregon however, is pretty challenging even for yo Ducks!
Mark1

wwhopper
06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
bad weather or terrain!

If you would not walk on it, you should not glide on it.

And they do work in rain and snow and sleet and all the other stuff.

But they are not submarines, they are not designed to work in water logged situations.

Though we have a lot of fair weather gliders out there, I also know we have plenty of folks who go out on their segs no matter the weather!

Just don't expect to glide into a building dripping wet with water and mud and be welcomed like a long lost friend!

g041579
06-20-2008, 01:31 AM
We tend to loose the rain this time of the year, until October.I have been guiding to work in great weather and enjoying every little
detail on my trip to work.I have given everyone at work a chance
to glide and got pictures of my boss on the X2.That way I have
blackmail material.

mark1qhorsey
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
We tend to loose the rain this time of the year, until October.I have been guiding to work in great weather and enjoying every little
detail on my trip to work.I have given everyone at work a chance
to glide and got pictures of my boss on the X2.That way I have
blackmail material.

The blackmail part was really cute! You focused on weather issues. But a major tacit issue for most PT commuters is acceptance by "the Boss" [xx(] at work.

Keep those pix and inform the Boss that he has to allow you to store the PT inside, all weather, to enable your year-round commuting.

This is an issue I have not quite figured out yet, since the building space I work in is leased from private property management. I haven't broached the issue with our property manager of inside storage in inclement weather.

g041579
07-02-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm lucky,I park my x2 inside the building I work in and also
get to charge it.Of course it being a segway it's only pennies
to charge.