PDA

View Full Version : New Member from San Jose, CA

kdd
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello,

I am a mildly disabled user with musular dystrophy. I use my Segway to get around my workplace - VA hospital. Have gotten full permission to use it safely anywhere on grounds and in buildings. Right now I drive to work using ramps to put it in/out of my truck. Am sort of looking into whether I can use it on Caltrain as home & work are only 1-2mi from the train stations.

Suzined
06-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome aboard!

I periodically have an appointment at the VA in Portland, Oregon. I never thought to ask if I could use my Segway--no problem with the Administration. I did have one safety incident about a year ago which I reported here but it bears repeating.

An older gentleman in a wheelchair with an attendant was rolled into an elevator in front of me. As I rolled in, very, very slowly as the elevator was fairly full, he took a cane and suddenly jammed it into my wheel, nearly pitching me into him. Naturally his attendant gave me a look that could kill. Nothing was said but I was concerned there would be an adverse reaction should a complaint be filed so I filed an incident report--Beware frightened old men in wheelchairs, they may attack! I'm now much more careful to avoid crowded elevators and folks in wheelchairs. If you think adding 8" to your height intimidates some folks, imagine how intimidating it must be to someone in a wheelchair.

The VA has given me exceptional service since my return from Vietnam --replaced both hips and knees, a shoulder, rebuilt my mouth (so I could later go to law school:)). You and the VA are very much appreciated. Again, welcome aboard.

kdd
06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the insights - I have had no close encounters with wheelchairs yet - though get lots of looks and comments. I am a lttle scared of crowded elevators so will just wait if it's an issue. Many people are quite concerned that I will hit my head in doorways - I am tall - 6'3" but it must look closer when seen from the ground.

After I got permission - I found a very recent GSA guidance permitting Segway use in all government buildings by those with disabilities.