PDA

View Full Version : New Owner in Northern VA

Bobgva
05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Bob and I live in Northern Viriginia and work in DC. I work for a federal law enforcement agency and we had previously tried Segways several years ago when the factory loaned us a few to try them out. It was one of the first models and we didn't have much success because of the terrain we patrol and at the time, it was hard getting people to ride them. Horses and Harleys were what was requested.

I recently was reintroduced Segways when a local dealer did a demonstration where I work of the i2's and x2's. Well my agency still has not bought into the concept but I did. I happened to find a slightly used i2 a few weeks later and loved it. But you really just can't have one so since that time I have ordered a second unit from a local dealer.

I stumbled on this site a few months ago and have been reading ever since. I appreciate the wealth of information provided by this site and the members of the forum. As a newbie I still have much to learn about Segways and the community of gliders. All the best. Bobg

mark1qhorsey
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi Bob,
I am still in the prospective buyer phase, and will be for another year. I have a major interest in using the i2 for commuting (5.5 mi each way), but over fairly hilly sidewalk terrain. I think the i2 can handle it on one charge... My other issues are reliability and longevity, which this forum has given some anecdotal indication that both are a little bit questionable. I am starting a campaign for the User community to request of Segway that they sell extended service warranties on new i2/x2s. What do you think?
Regards,
Mark1

wwhopper
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Send me an PM with your email and I will hook you up with our local DC SEG site.

And you are right, you just can't have one Segway!

The question is what do you do with the others when you are just riding one?

Bobgva
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Mark,

I think the extended warranty is an interesting idea. Especially for someone buying a used Segway that is out of the factory warranty. The used i2 I purchased was 1 year old and had only 13 miles on it. It was purchased from someone who was going to commute and use the local Metro but it never worked out for them. Fortunately they kept the batteries charged even though they didn't use it much.

I find the hills no problem with the i2, so I do not think you will have any problems there. All the best. bobg

Bobgva
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I have kids so the first Segway was suppose to be for them to use. Turns out I am putting more miles on it then them. So I bought a second one so they can actually ride one like I had planned, or to ride along with me.

mark1qhorsey
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I have kids so the first Segway was suppose to be for them to use. Turns out I am putting more miles on it then them. So I bought a second one so they can actually ride one like I had planned, or to ride along with me.

Hey Bob,

I am curious how many miles you put on your Seg, in how long?
Mark1

Bobgva
05-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Hello Mark,

I have put on about 200 miles since the middle of March. That is just gliding around not commuting to work. Very easy to put miles on it. When I go out I usually can put 10 miles on it easily. bobg