PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pay

Skinnee D
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm new to SC and just have a question. When buying a PT long-distance, what should you look out for? I might actually be buying salmonarm's 2 i167s that were posted for sale in the buy and sell thread. Also, what is the best way to pay? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx for helping a rookie.

Damon

hellphish
02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
? The best way to pay would be to pay according to whatever agreement you have made with the seller. Ask him what he prefers, then pay him in that fashion.

jryan
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's what I am assuming based on what I know! If you are looking to buy a Rolex or designer anything (purse, coat, etc.) always pay by credit card! Any person recieving the payment can sign up for a paypal account and 15 minutes later have your funds via credit card! There is no excuse for someone selling such items not to accept this form of payment!

The reason why you pay this way is so that if you get a fake (which you very well may, you can cancel the charges with proof)! With Segway's however, there is not really any fakes out there! There are cheap imitations but these don't look like a Segway so will not be sold as such! As far as I know the ability to cancel out of a transaction due to fraud only counts if you get a fake or don't recieve the goods at all!

The precautions to look out for with a Segway are mainly whether or not the unit is defective (batteries, etc.)! This is why many prefer to get used Segway's from a dealer, which is typically more expensive than the private sector! You will usually recieve the unit when buying private but there is no guarantee on condition! I do not believe you would be able to cancel payment just because it came with dead batteries etc. I have never owned a Segway so may not be as knowledgable as most on this topic but from what I've heard what I am saying is accurate!

My advice is this. One, purchase the Segway from a dealer (preferrably your local dealer). Another option would be two buy from someone who has lots of rep on SC. I know Karl (ksagal) has an e series and I would say most if not all here would trust anything he said about condition, etc. A suggestion is that if a seller does not have much rep than ask if someone in their area could go look at it! I would think there are several people here who, if asked and were close enough, would report on condition to you! Option 3 is if you can, wait until Segwayfest, attend, and look around there! I believe Will said there will be a marketplace and as I understand it there will be both dealers and private sector selling there!

I just offer this advice for your safety, run with it or don't! As far as payment I don't think it much matters how you pay. As hellphish said your best bet is to pay whichever way the seller prefers! I would maybe suggest credit card payment in the very rare event you do not recieve the segway(s) so you can cancel out the transaction! That would be my suggestion!

Jeremy Ryan

bentbiker
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm new to SC and just have a question. When buying a PT long-distance, what should you look out for? I might actually be buying salmonarm's 2 i167s that were posted for sale in the buy and sell thread. Also, what is the best way to pay? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx for helping a rookie.

DamonWelcome, Damon. Sorry about the "clever" reply. Since Salmonarm has only posted 4 times since joining 3 months ago and all posts were to sell the units, I don't know whether anybody here has any personal knowledge of the individual or the units. Ordinarily, the first thing you want to do is get the serial numbers and call INC to find out whether they are registered to "salmonarm" or whether they've been reported stolen. Since Salmonarm is not the original owner, it's 50-50 whether he has taken the the proper steps to change the registration to his name. Up to you whether you want to force him to go back to the original owner who can have it switched to his name. As you probably know, most of the units on eBay are scams, but this doesn't sound like a scam. Buying them one at a time would cut your risk in half. Local dealers can be used to verify the condition and serial numbers, but Salmonarm says there are no local dealers.

As Jeremy suggested, getting a SC member or local dealer to verify the condition is normally desirable, but I'm guessing that might be difficult in this case; you may know is location, but nobody here can offer to check it out because he has not chosen to fill in his location, saying only within a post that he is in western Canada.

As Jeremy also suggested, PayPal is easy (if available to you in Canada), but I doubt your credit card offers any protection on a private purchase and even the $200 PayPal guarantee is only via eBay.

How about a nice Trans-Canadian RR vacation where you pick them up?

Skinnee D
02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Salmonarm said he works for a lawyer, so what they would do is draw up a contract to sell them to me and email it to me for my approval. Then I would pay by cheque or money order, send the cheque to the firm, the firm would hold the cheque in trust until proof of shipment is provided. Then the funds would be released at that time. Or I could have paid by paypal to his friends account, which I wasn't doing.

The lawyer said the fastest route would be to send me a letter with his (the lawyer) trust bank info and explaining that he'll hold the funds until salmonarm ships the units. I take the letter to a certain bank and deposit the funds into his trust account. Once deposit is made, the units get shipped and the lawyer is provided with the waybills, then the lawyer releases the payment to salmonarm. This saves the lawyer from having to wait for my cheque/money order then waiting until it clears.

Any thoughts??

jryan
02-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Salmonarm said he works for a lawyer, so what they would do is draw up a contract to sell them to me and email it to me for my approval. Then I would pay by cheque or money order, send the cheque to the firm, the firm would hold the cheque in trust until proof of shipment is provided. Then the funds would be released at that time. Or I could have paid by paypal to his friends account, which I wasn't doing.

The lawyer said the fastest route would be to send me a letter with his (the lawyer) trust bank info and explaining that he'll hold the funds until salmonarm ships the units. I take the letter to a certain bank and deposit the funds into his trust account. Once deposit is made, the units get shipped and the lawyer is provided with the waybills, then the lawyer releases the payment to salmonarm. This saves the lawyer from having to wait for my cheque/money order then waiting until it clears.

Any thoughts??

My thought would be to stay far, far, away! I am not saying that salmonarm is lying, but he has very little rep! On a side note, anything that involves so many steps is most likely, but not always, a scam! I am not sure how things work in Canada, but I have never heard of lawyers doing any such thing in Madison. The fact is that there could easily be no lawyer. The letter could look professional and anyone can create legit looking letterheads and graphics online!

Just from personal expierience, there is a 99% chance you will get screwed here. It is not 100% but I would not suggest it! Salmonarm does have a fairly decent deal here. Now if you take a trip to visit him and you get both of them you will be fine! Or you could book a flight or train ticket and have them shipped yourself. Either way I don't trust it. Buyer beware!!!!!!

Jeremy Ryan

bentbiker
02-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Any thoughts??
Once you get the contract, you can call information and ask for the number of the firm referenced in the contract (don't go by any number listed in the contract), call that number and verify XXX is a lawyer with the firm, and then ask to speak to him, he can then verify the contract was written by him; at that point, I'd say you are safe. But then, I'm no lawyer . . . None of this, however, proves the units are any good.

jryan
02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Once you get the contract, you can call information and ask for the number of the firm referenced in the contract (don't go by any number listed in the contract), call that number and verify XXX is a lawyer with the firm, and then ask to speak to him, he can then verify the contract was written by him; at that point, I'd say you are safe. But then, I'm no lawyer . . . None of this, however, proves the units are any good.

Well yes, this would work, but do not just call that number. I have seen scams where the person answered the phone as though they were the lawyer than transferred to their friend for further review. Just think about it, if it was a scam and they hooked one person a month, that would be at least $3,000/month to live off of it would be worth it to them to fake a firm! Plus if they are a scam they are probably in the U.S. and the canadian police will probably never find them. Do not just call the number on the contract, go on google and search for the number. You will find whether the number is legit or not! If you do not see the number DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!!!

Jeremy Ryan

Jeremy Ryan

Five-Flags
02-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Well yes, this would work, but do not just call that number. ... Do not just call the number on the contract, go on google and search for the number. You will find whether the number is legit or not! If you do not see the number DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!!!

Jeremy Ryan

I think you missed the fact that John suggested getting the (alleged) firm's number from the phone company's Information listing, not the number on the contract, for that exact reason.:)

Mr_Laurenzano
02-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Pay shipping, verify purchase and individuals location.
If you don't come through, I have a lot of free time, and you gotta sleep.
Crash
I have 3 segs left (HT)h.
wan't one.
Tony

william collins
02-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Enough Said in title

drmarty
02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Let's see. What was the old phrase. Trust but verify?

Well this is a little too much money for much trust.

I can verify that Crash is real and has said machines. I don't think you can go wrong with him and I'm sure there are others here who would vouch for him. He is a known quantity who is anything but new to this group.

Verifying the serial numbers through Inc does prove the machines exist and belong to whomever. It does not prove their condition or that the owner will ship them to you in - where the --ll is that? Nova who? Whew. That's a long way from everywhere isn't it? Just Kidding.

What ever you do I hope you get gliding soon and with minimum hassle.

Good Luck
Marty

Orbiter
02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Unless it is a dealer or you can meet the person an try the Segway(s) before you buy them and verify the unit is not stolen, I wouldn't go through with any deal unless you can pay with a credit card. Period.

Last year, I "bought" one on Ebay. After months and months of excuses, no Segway and PayPal's sorry excuse for refunding about 1/3 of the purchase price, I tracked down the guys father and told him what was going on. I called the dealer and they knew the person and verified that he had bought a Segway from them. Some rich family out in CA, the kid is out of control in the party sceen. He probably needed a quick fix, put the Seg on Ebay, got the PayPal cash and probably had no intent to ship.

I filed complaints with PayPal/Ebay, they really didn't do much & only guarantee your payment for between $200 and $2000. I paid with a cc via PayPal but if the merchant gives you a partial refund, you can't just call the cc company to dispute it, you have to fill out a bunch of paperwork which drags the process out even longer.

I really wanted this thing so kept on waiting and waiting. A couple weeks after I got ahold of the guys dad, his dad made him refund the balance. They promised to send some extra $$$ to compensate for the trouble but never came through on that.

So in the end, I probably could have gotten a refund from the CC company about 3 months after paying for the thing. Had I paid with PayPal from my bank account or a PayPal balance and the dad hadn't stepped in, I would have been SOL for almost the entire purchase price. Had I paid with cash or a check there would have been no hassle at all, the cash would have simply been gone.

Ended up finding a local seller, meeting in person, testing it out, inspecting it, paying cash and being happy with the purchase. Be careful what you buy, who you buy it from and don't let your emotions take over and believe any excuses from someone.

Has the thing been crashed hard, will it arrive w/o keys, are they quoting accurate mileage, will you have to drop $1,000+ on new batteries, etc...Had the first one come through, the batteries probably would have been dead because it was in storage for a while and the final cost for a used i-80 would have been almost the same as the price for a new i2.

Skinnee D
02-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, I chatted with the seller over a week and a half. We worked out a contract through email and a lawyer from his area. I had a friend of mine who is a lawyer check out the firm. We agreed that I would pay the lawyer and he would hold the money in trust until they arrived at my door and the money would be released upon my confirmation of the units arriving. We added each other as Facebook friends to check each other out, in a manly, buyer/seller way that is. I also have the serials from the units and the tracking # from UPS. I think I've done all that I can to try to protect myself. We'll see on Feb. 22 when they show up.

pspearing
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
What I notice is that there is no completely independent agency handling the funds--if he works for a law firm and that firm handles the funds they are not really "arms length" from him. I think this reminds me of a couple of scams i have read about. Why not have him ship them COD? If he's legit that should work, and you will at least have SOMETHING (possibly a box of cinderblocks) in hand when you pay. Better still, go to a reputable dealer, and support those who support us.

bentbiker
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing you missed the date on this thread. He bought the two Segways a couple months ago and all went well.

KSagal
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm guessing you missed the date on this thread. He bought the two Segways a couple months ago and all went well.

Do we really know if they ever showed up?

Mr_Laurenzano
05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
What I notice is that there is no completely independent agency handling the funds--if he works for a law firm and that firm handles the funds they are not really "arms length" from him. I think this reminds me of a couple of scams i have read about. Why not have him ship them COD? If he's legit that should work, and you will at least have SOMETHING (possibly a box of cinderblocks) in hand when you pay. Better still, go to a reputable dealer, and support those who support us.

I never use cinderblocks they weigh too much, I use red bricks and sand, better weight distribution, Im a completely independant fund handler, and have 3 i-167's ready to hit your doorstep, and the fastest sales and tech support you could imagine.

bentbiker
05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Do we really know if they ever showed up?

See: http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?p=165045#post165045

Skinnee D
05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I received them on Feb. 19. I did post to let everyone know I got them ( Officially Rollin' - just a few posts down ) and everything went fine. UPS cracked one of my fenders when they were dropped at the house. The seller took care of that because he paid for the shipping and he was gonna go through them for the claim. He also paid for my new fender.

I thought it was a scam after talking to him for a few days but after looking at his profile on Facebook, getting my friend, who is a lawyer, to check out the firm and just trusting my judgement, I came out on top-2 i167s w/ titanium bags for each and a set of spare rims w/ETTs for each for CAD$3600-seller paid shipping. What a steal! Thx to everyone for their input. The info came in handy along with what my lawyer-friend had suggested. I paid by sending the law firm my money which they held in their trust account until I received the Segs. Once received, I checked out there condition, emailed the firm and cc'd the seller, then the firm released the funds to him. I don't know if I would have gone through with it if it wasn't for my lawyer-friend. Maybe I would have bought just one thinking I'd lose $1800 not $3600 if it was a scam.

Anybody can check out my previous posts on SC to see what I've written and check out my pics in the gallery if you think you missed out.
D.

Skinnee D
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
BTW, he didn't work for a law firm. I thought he did. He said he has done some work for this firm so it was an independent firm, not that it matters anymore.

jryan
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree, it seemed like a scam. In fact, it had all the warning signs of a scam but was not! Funny how that works out isn't it. I'm glad to hear it all worked out and it's good you checked everything out before buying! Seems like you took all the steps and in the end it paid off! Very few times would this situation not be a scam but you caught the 1%! But you verified on your own and that is what you need to do! After all, that's not the first time people have jumped to conclusions and labeled something a scam! Good job man (or mam)!

Jeremy Ryan

Skinnee D
05-02-2008, 10:12 PM
How many mams do you know named Damon - a guy's name?? Check out the gallery -black man, kids, wife - need I say more?? Damon Stoudamire - played for Toronto Raptors at one point, Damon Wayans - of Wayans Bros. fame, Damon Runyuon (?) - playwright, I think, Damon - a student of Pythagoreas ( Pythagorean Theorym ). All Damons, all men. No mams, should be no mistake.

Madsegs
05-03-2008, 08:47 AM
SC My i167 was stolen in northern SC-Fortmill from my brothers garage. New handlebar, CSB and new batteries. Distinctive heavy scratches on the left bottom of the bar just above the CSB (charging unit). I have the keys.......the thief does not. Listed with segway (email) but no reply? Do they ever reply? Serial avaliable if anyone needs it (dont have it on me know)

jryan
05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
How many mams do you know named Damon - a guy's name?? Check out the gallery -black man, kids, wife - need I say more?? Damon Stoudamire - played for Toronto Raptors at one point, Damon Wayans - of Wayans Bros. fame, Damon Runyuon (?) - playwright, I think, Damon - a student of Pythagoreas ( Pythagorean Theorym ). All Damons, all men. No mams, should be no mistake.

Sorry Man! Didn't mean to offend you, I was just being inclusive just in case. There are rare cases where there is a girl with a guys name! In case this was the case I decided to include that! I was not calling you a lady! But I'm sure somewhere out there there is a female named Damon! Calm down, relax, start breathing, I apologize for any offense!

Jeremy Ryan

Mr_Laurenzano
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
3 hypers left.

enviroglide
05-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Damon, I am the Segway distributor for Canada. If you have any questions on anything Segway in Canada please feel free to call me directly at 780-995-7347 or email me at segwayedmonton@telus.net

Mr_Laurenzano
05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Telephone telegraph tell a kid.
The irony of this just warms my heart

Hey kiddies hear and close your eyes and shake with a firm handshake it is respectful. Pick up your telephone and say hi. Send a telegraph with stipulations (easily accomplished with Western Union) Door step to door step a child can run on a bike car or horse.

But with a segway it's like shipping a Model A Ford in a box 130x130x130 in one whack, If you are going to buy one step back and step forward, do that a 100x..~... times.

I use to hate delivering news papers when I was a kid it always tweaked my goose neck with the weight, dog fights and front page news to read.

I have had nothing but success with ebay and personal transaction but the best deal in the world is when you both are satisfied with everything, smile and glide to the next.

So if you are this type of person please get down to a local dealer they don’t have cornered lots yet but maybe they don’t need them, yet

Raffle ~ Gallon of gas buy in... i-167 with bag.