PDA

View Full Version : Turning on PM popup by default (and a mechanism to invite online people to chat)

polo_pro
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd like to request that the admin make "PM popup" on by default for all accounts. Too often someone contacts me by PM, I reply but then I never hear anything back. Or months go by, and then I get a reply.

I'm guessing this is because they PMed me from somewhere other than their SC mailbox, and they don't realize that they need to check their mailbox. If we want to improve communication among SC members, this is a step in the right direction.

BTW, I have a good pop-up blocker, but still I get a message saying "you have a new PM". So SC isn't able to popup a window to show me the new PM. BUT, I did get some indication that I should go over to my SC mailbox and check for new PMs. That's what's really important.

ps - Also, I have a feature request. I know I'm asking alot, but consider this request to be feedback about what vBulletin add-on I'd like to see next (if its available). I'd like to be able to go to the list of people currently online, click on their name and have a message appear in their browser asking them to join me in the chat room. I'll start digging around vBulletin docs and see if there's any PHP add-on modules that would readily supply this functionality.

pam
01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Good requests, Polo. John will have to manage...
Pam

Desert_Seg
01-13-2008, 02:43 PM
While I know you are doing this in the interest of getting the word out, I do have to ask...

How lazy are we? When I logon I glance in the upper right hand corner and immediately note if there are any messages waiting for me, I then shift my glance to the left slightly and look to see if anybody is in chat.

Then off to the races...er, reading the posts, that is.

Nothing wrong with your request but maybe, just maybe, we should hold folks accountable for noticing if they have any messages?

Steven

polo_pro
01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
While I know you are doing this in the interest of getting the word out, I do have to ask...

How lazy are we? When I logon I glance in the upper right hand corner and immediately note if there are any messages waiting for me, I then shift my glance to the left slightly and look to see if anybody is in chat.

Then off to the races...er, reading the posts, that is.

Nothing wrong with your request but maybe, just maybe, we should hold folks accountable for noticing if they have any messages?

For us "experienced (and prolific might I add)" posters, we know exactly where to look. But for the new members, there's alot of nooks and crannies to find interesting stuff (like for instance under User CP where your rep comments are). They may not notice the new unread PM listed in the top right.

I've had at least half a dozen times over the last year where I sent out a PM only to get a reply months later saying "Oops, sorry, I didn't notice I had a PM in my inbox."

I do agree with you on one point. I think new members should take the initiative and put an email address in their profile. It's hidden from everyone, so it won't cause them to get more spam. Then we have an option to contact them via PM or email (which they might monitor more closely).

ps - Another factor is how often you get PMs. I get them daily, as I'm sure you do. But a new member might have to wait weeks between getting PMs, especially if they're in lurker mode.