PDA

View Full Version : How does Segway go up & down stairs?

muckle
10-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Can somebody please explain how it supposedly goes up and down stairs? I have seen the video of DK on an Ibot - but that had the wheel 'clusters', plus he had to pull himself along with the hand-rails.

I keep hearing how Segway handles stairs with no problem, but I can't picture it. Even in follow-mode, it doesn't go up/down, right?

HELP!

Casey
10-11-2002, 05:31 PM
I'm with you on that muckle. I think there is confusion between the IBot and Segway. There is a version of Segway shown in a patent that has the six wheel cluster, and that is the only one I think can actually climb stairs.

I would imagine the i and e models can go up a small curb or other such obstacle, but not repeated rises such as a stairway.

JohnM
10-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Would DS be able to maintain control coming down a flight of stairs? I seem to recall a video of a Segway making a sizable drop and doing ok.

Brooster
10-11-2002, 07:54 PM
By picking it up and carrying it.

It can hop off a curb, like a bike can, but that's about it ... and even doing that repeatedly probably isn't good for the machine.

Brooster

GlideMaster
10-11-2002, 11:25 PM
As far as I know and from my many hours of riding, you cannot ride the Segway up and down stairs. But, you can put it in the follow mode and ease it up and down the stairs using the power of the Segway.
In case you are not familiar with the follow mode, it's when the Segway is not in the Balance mode, when you don't see the Bingo face.
The Segway has two basic modes; the follow mode and the balance mode.
When in the follow mode the Segway has no balance and you can make it roll forward and backwards by rotating the turning collar. So by having the Segway in the follow mode you can have it use it's own power to go up and down the stairs. When going up the stairs you just need to turn the turning collar and pull the Segway up. The wheels will turn under power and assist your pulling it up. I hope this answers your question.

quote:Originally posted by muckle

Can somebody please explain how it supposedly goes up and down stairs? I have seen the video of DK on an Ibot - but that had the wheel 'clusters', plus he had to pull himself along with the hand-rails.

I keep hearing how Segway handles stairs with no problem, but I can't picture it. Even in follow-mode, it doesn't go up/down, right?

HELP!

GlideMaster
10-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Also you can jump the Segway off of a curb. They train you on three inches but I've done about five or six.

HELP!

Brooster
10-12-2002, 02:44 AM
More good information, with a definite ring of genuine experience. I had the follow mode demonstrated for me, but not the up-down stairs.

Thanks again.

Broo

Brooster

ftropea
10-12-2002, 04:27 PM
If the consumer version doesn't have the electronic kickstand feature, might it also lack the "follow me" mode? Think about it.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

JohnG
10-13-2002, 08:35 PM
All Segways have follow-mode, but only the e Series features the e-Stand, the electronic parking stand.

http://www.segway.com/segway/models.html

ftropea
10-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Would you know if the "e-Stand" feature is more than a programming difference between the I and E models? More specifically, is there additional hardware required to enable the "e-stand" feature?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

don c.
10-13-2002, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Thanks for the clarification. Would you know if the "e-Stand" feature is more than a programming difference between the I and E models? More specifically, is there additional hardware required to enable the "e-stand" feature?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Frank, I'm not a Segway or DEKA employee, but here's my offering on the question. "E-Stand" does nothing more involved than a Segway does normally while in a 'standstill' mode; recognizes that no forward, backward, left, or right rider inputs are being received, and simply holds the vehicle in place vertically (think DK at the 'Harvard Symposium').

I suspect the firmware on the 'e' model simply overrides the requirement that a rider's weight has been detected by the pressure transducers in the platform before the DS kicks in. You might even be able to effect 'e-stand' on your i-model by parking your heavy suitcase on the rider platform and hanging your carry-on bag from the handlebar!

muckle
10-14-2002, 11:59 AM
I can understand how Follow-Mode might be nice for bringing a Segway DOWN stairs, but I still don't see how it is of any value in going UP stairs. Unless the wheels possess some Spider-Man adhesiveness...

Casey
10-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I believe the idea is similar to a refrigerator cart with a motor. Pulling a refrigerator upstairs on a cart is a huge amount of work. With a motor turning the wheels, it would become quite easy. rubber tires have very good grip on the materials stairs are made of. ie, concrete or wood.

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Muckle
In the follow mode the wheels have power and can go backwards and forward with a twist of the turning collar on the left side of the handle bar. Turn the collar left it goes one way turn it right it goes the other. So if the wheel are spinning under power it helps you pull it up the stairs. You try pulling 85 pounds up the stairs.
I weigh 210 and it can still be heavy on steep narrow stairs especially. The Michelins have very good traction.

I can understand how Follow-Mode might be nice for bringing a Segway DOWN stairs, but I still don't see how it is of any value in going UP stairs. Unless the wheels possess some Spider-Man adhesiveness...

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
You've got the idea Casey. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Casey

I believe the idea is similar to a refrigerator cart with a motor. Pulling a refrigerator upstairs on a cart is a huge amount of work. With a motor turning the wheels, it would become quite easy. rubber tires have very good grip on the materials stairs are made of. ie, concrete or wood.

muckle
10-14-2002, 02:02 PM
>> You try pulling 85 pounds up the stairs.<<

Believe me, I'd LOVE to try! Cuz that would mean I'd have access to a Segway... I wanna ride one, dammit! GRRRR

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 07:46 PM
I felt the same way when I first saw it on TV last year on GMA. Believe me if I could help you I would. I've taught more people how to ride than I dare to mention.
You want to learn and all I want to do is train. I would love to be a trainer. Maybe one day we can both make it happen.

>> You try pulling 85 pounds up the stairs.<<

Believe me, I'd LOVE to try! Cuz that would mean I'd have access to a Segway... I wanna ride one, dammit! GRRRR

muckle
10-15-2002, 10:30 AM
>> I've taught more people how to ride than I dare to mention.<<

And what part of the country do you live in? <glint in eye>

GlideMaster
10-15-2002, 12:55 PM
I live in C-H-I-C-A-G-O; where else.

>> I've taught more people how to ride than I dare to mention.<<

And what part of the country do you live in? <glint in eye>

muckle
10-17-2002, 01:11 PM
And if a couple of us were to find ourselves in The Windy City, would you be able to let us try it out?

GlideMaster
10-18-2002, 08:45 AM
I don't think so. Property of the City of Chicago.

And if a couple of us were to find ourselves in The Windy City, would you be able to let us try it out?

muckle
10-18-2002, 01:55 PM
>> Property of the City of Chicago <<

Are you referring to yourself or the Segway? <g>

But seriously, what kind of job do you have that someone decided a Segway might be a benefit to you? Can you briefly describe how the Seg increases your efficiency? Sorry if you've already covered this somewhere...

GlideMaster
10-18-2002, 05:46 PM
We both belong to the City.
Sorry, but no I won't say, you know how the
acronym goes. "If I tell you I'll have to"
well you know.:(

>> Property of the City of Chicago <<

Are you referring to yourself or the Segway? <g>

But seriously, what kind of job do you have that someone decided a Segway might be a benefit to you? Can you briefly describe how the Seg increases your efficiency? Sorry if you've already covered this somewhere...

muckle
10-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Oh, a wiseguy! Why, I oughta -

GlideMaster
10-18-2002, 07:09 PM
:(

Oh, a wiseguy! Why, I oughta -

Blinky
10-19-2002, 04:06 AM
Hey Guys,

Don't worry! The Segway will probably be more available to the public sooner than we all think. No need to put the pressure on Weskifm.

Pssssst... Hey wes, I'll be there in a couple months. ;)

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 05:36 AM
It would be nice if we could all get them for Christmas.

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Hey Guys,

Don't worry! The Segway will probably be more available to the public sooner than we all think. No need to put the pressure on Weskifm.

Pssssst... Hey wes, I'll be there in a couple months. ;)

n/a
10-19-2002, 07:50 AM
quote:It would be nice if we could all get them for Christmas.

It would be nice if it was available, but I am not sure that I would buy one. Segway may revolutionize urban transportation, is very cool technology and surely fun to ride, but still... 3-5K is a lot of money and I am not conviced Segway will at this point would be as usefull for me as I would want. We have long winters and a lot of snow where I live. It also rains quite a bit in the summer.

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Lawrence I don't know what you do for a living but if I really loved Segway as much as you talk about it; I would have to move to the U.S. or Canada they still have long winters in some areas I think.
I say this because you NEED to Ride.

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:It would be nice if we could all get them for Christmas.

It would be nice if it was available, but I am not sure that I would buy one. Segway may revolutionize urban transportation, is very cool technology and surely fun to ride, but still... 3-5K is a lot of money and I am not conviced Segway will at this point would be as usefull for me as I would want. We have long winters and a lot of snow where I live. It also rains quite a bit in the summer.

Brooster
10-19-2002, 12:23 PM
He's right, Lawr ... once you ride it, you'll want one. I'm still "hooked" from my ride last June. I think it's the "fun factor" that did it for me.

Brooster

GlideMaster
10-19-2002, 04:28 PM
:D
It's the thrill of it all.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

He's right, Lawr ... once you ride it, you'll want one. I'm still "hooked" from my ride last June. I think it's the "fun factor" that did it for me.

Brooster

Blinky
10-21-2002, 01:59 AM
Lawrence writes..
quote:It would be nice if it was available, but I am not sure that I would buy one. Segway may revolutionize urban transportation, is very cool technology and surely fun to ride, but still... 3-5K is a lot of money and I am not conviced Segway will at this point would be as usefull for me as I would want. We have long winters and a lot of snow where I live. It also rains quite a bit in the summer.
I'm to young to remember, not that all you guys and gals in here are old :). Was the price and "being convinced" part a factor to how people looked at personal computers?(when they first came out)

Not to put the Segway-HT and personal computing on the same scale of the impact it will have(had) on society.(but one never knows :))

Casey
10-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Blinky, I am old enough to remember. I entered the US Air Force in 1960, and was schooled as an Electronics Technician. Bet you can't guess the basis of the equipment I worked on. Yep, the little insignificant zero and one. And/or/nand and more "gates" (electronic switches, not Bill). It was all classified technology at that time.

I wasn't aware of it, but I was in on the big blossoming of the computer.

Sorry to say, I did not follow up on it when my enlistment was up. Instead I took further schooling, only in Television repair. TV's were affordable and a burgeoning industry. Computers were outrageously expensive and were not considered a consumer device.

If I could have known what would become of the binary system, I would have most likely become filthy rich by sticking with it. As it turned out, TV repair became a common trade and I left it to end up retiring as an electrician.

I personally did not own a computer until the early 90's because of the price factor, as well as the fact that they were just not thought of as a home appliance. When I got my first one it had a 540MB Hard Disk, a 486 processor, and was running Windows 3.1 The cost in early ninetys dollars was about $3000, probably the equivilant of 4 to 5 thousand now.

The answer to your question, "Was the price and "being convinced" part a factor to how people looked at personal computers?(when they first came out)", I'd have to say definitely yes on both counts.

majic
10-21-2002, 02:26 PM

Brooster

Brooster, how long do you think the fun factor would last? I can't see that as being a reason to go out and buy one, if the thrill is over by the end of the week.
Wes - as you've had many hours of riding, does the fun factor wear off at all? Do you get fed up from being on it for long periods of time? Does it make your back ache etc etc.

Brooster
10-21-2002, 02:36 PM
Majic! Long time no see, man! I hope your studies are going well, and that you're enjoying being in school.

From the sounds of Weskifm's posts and his enthusiasm, it doesn't sound like the fun factor goes away anytime soon! :D

Brooster

Blinky
10-23-2002, 07:31 PM
To stay on topic, do you guys think that a Segway-HT would be able to(by leaning forward on it) somehow lock it self on an escalator?

GlideMaster
10-24-2002, 01:02 AM
I just don't see how blinky.:(

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

To stay on topic, do you guys think that a Segway-HT would be able to(by leaning forward on it) somehow lock it self on an escalator?

Blinky
10-26-2002, 02:23 PM
When going down hills, if there any compensation on the user of the Segway-HT to do to handle the gravity.

Not that I will be looking to ride down a long steep hill. I am sure a small hill should be not problem.

GlideMaster
10-26-2002, 05:37 PM
I'm back!

Majic the thrill and enthusiasm are stronger than ever.

I JUST NEED MY OWN.
I HAVE A NEED TO RIDE, ANYWHERE ANY TIME.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by majic

Brooster

Brooster, how long do you think the fun factor would last? I can't see that as being a reason to go out and buy one, if the thrill is over by the end of the week.
Wes - as you've had many hours of riding, does the fun factor wear off at all? Do you get fed up from being on it for long periods of time? Does it make your back ache etc etc.

stedler
12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I've been riding my Segway for well over two years now and can't ever see giving it up.... Even if the Doctor were to say that I could no longer stand, I would just have it equiped with the seat available through draft.org and keep on gliding.

I have a back injury ( colapsed vertebrae at L1 and disk rupture at L4/L5) severe nerve damage and bad knees, and even with the machines 80lbs, I can use the power assist feature to walk it up and down the stairs without much trouble.

Yes you do get sore after riding it for a while, but you can always find a place to sit down if you want to. My ht i180 has a range of about 24 miles and I've riden it almost the entire 24 miles in one stretch... (stopping at the bank and the pharmacy but not sitting down) I was really sore the next day, but then I have back problems.

I do know people who ride them all the time and have no real muscle aches to speak of.

like anything else though, it does require you use your body to operate the machine and if you haven't done it in a while you'll feel it.

Segways are fun, but they are also great tools or comuter vehicles... I've seen them used by EMT's at events.. (the emergency medical techs ride them around the crowd to treat people who are injured or ill. They can carry the gear on the cargo racks above the wheels and don't have to drive their trucks around. It just makes it alot easier for them to get around the Air Shows or Races or other such events.) They're great riding around shop floors or commuting to work in big cities, even going to the corner market.

For me it's a great mobility device, it keeps me out of a mobility chair or wheel chair.

Happy Holidays all,

Stedler

Sal
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Stedler!
:D Way to dig up an old thread!

Sometimes we need this kind of bump up to remember the old times, along with those that started it all.

-Sal

jgbackes
12-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I often climb escalators while riding my segway. Just keep leaning forward but not enough to get stick shake. When descending, lean backward.

stedler
01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I often climb escalators while riding my segway. Just keep leaning forward but not enough to get stick shake. When descending, lean backward.

Not sure if I'd be brave enough to try that one.... I can just imagine the size of the "Ouch" if you fell.... LOL

stedler
01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Stedler!
:D Way to dig up an old thread!

Sometimes we need this kind of bump up to remember the old times, along with those that started it all.

-Sal

Thank you,.. I think...

Desert_Seg
01-01-2008, 02:33 PM

I've been eyeing the escalator that leads up to our showroom, I'm going to go try it now!

Steven

wwhopper
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I've been eyeing the escalator that leads up to our showroom, I'm going to go try it now!

Steven

Will the Segway go faster on those moving sidewalks, than on the non-moving ones?

And what happens at the end of the moving sidewalk? Does the machine just freak, or just think it jumped over a crack in the sidewalk?

KSagal
01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Will the Segway go faster on those moving sidewalks, than on the non-moving ones?

And what happens at the end of the moving sidewalk? Does the machine just freak, or just think it jumped over a crack in the sidewalk?

I have gone approx 20 miles per hour on my e-167. When going to FLA for segfest a few years ago, I found that one of the moving sidewalks at Logan Airport in Boston had been turned up to almost 8 mph! With the seg and a good lean, I had it going about 20mph past the people standing around...

I did worry about what would happen when I got to the end of the sidewalk so I slowed down before I hit that bump.

wwhopper
01-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I did worry about what would happen when I got to the end of the sidewalk so I slowed down before I hit that bump.

Don't hold us in suspense....

So what happened when you hit that bump?

I would think since the seg only thought you were doing the 12mph and was not aware of the extra 8mph that it would just keep doing 12, and the glider would be the one would to have to deal with the speed decrease.

Mr_Laurenzano
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
You go up one step at a time and you go down one step at a time, this is like the definition of hyperbrake.
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

T:)

polo_pro
01-02-2008, 01:11 AM
I would guess that a segway that suddenly found its wheels rotating at 20 MPH would take extreme measures to get you back under 12.5 MPH. You'd probably have serious pushback till that point, eh?

ps - Karl, are your memories becoming fuzzier? 8^) 8^) 8^) http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpost.php?p=116088&postcount=3

sami
01-02-2008, 01:22 AM
When in the follow mode the Segway has no balance and you can make it roll forward and backwards by rotating the turning collar..

Would you care to explain to me what's this "turning collar" about?
Is it applicable also on the X2?
Thanks.

BringOnI2
01-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that was advice for Gen1 Segways up to i180 and XT, not the i2 or X2

Desert_Seg
01-02-2008, 06:33 AM
I would guess that a segway that suddenly found its wheels rotating at 20 MPH would take extreme measures to get you back under 12.5 MPH. You'd probably have serious pushback till that point, eh?...

The Segway would only be going 12.5 miles per hour, no matter how fast the platform under it were going. That is a physical limitation of the Segway and can't be exceeded. The 20 mph is a combined speed of the two and doesn't affect the wheel rotation at all.

Therefore, when you hit the end of the moving sidewalk there shouldn't be any major difference in gliding motion as long as you maintain constant speed.

Steven

pam
01-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes, on the Gen1 Segways, you turned right and left by rotating a little "turning collar" as Glidemaster called it, that was on the left handlebar of the control shaft. The control shaft was fixed. The newer Gen2 Segways have leansteer functionality, so it's completely different.

I'm pretty sure that was advice for Gen1 Segways up to i180 and XT, not the i2 or X2

polo_pro
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
The Segway would only be going 12.5 miles per hour, no matter how fast the platform under it were going. That is a physical limitation of the Segway and can't be exceeded. The 20 mph is a combined speed of the two and doesn't affect the wheel rotation at all.

Therefore, when you hit the end of the moving sidewalk there shouldn't be any major difference in gliding motion as long as you maintain constant speed.

Steven

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly enough in my last post. The discussion had focused on the transition from moving walkway to solid ground. All of my comments related to that moment in time (and not to when the segway was solely on the moving walkway). So, with that additional clarification, I stand by my earlier comments. When the segway leaves the moving walkway (which added 8 MPH to the top speed of the segway), its wheels will be be rotating MOMENTARILY at 20 MPH and it'll do drastic stuff to quickly bring itself back down to 12.5 MPH. That means it'll pushback and potentially rotate the platform backward to prepare the rider for extreme decelleration back down to 12.5 MPH.

I do want to point out that I've never done an experiment like this before. But I think I've been in similar circumstances when a large truck passes me (during long distance gliding) and I'm at top speed. At that point a blast of air hits my back pushing me up to 14 MPH. The segway fights hard to first keep me balanced but then to bring me back down to 12.5 MPH. It's a very unusual behavior that's quite disconcerting. My reason for saying that this situation is similar is when a person comes off a moving walkway, instead of a push forward from above/behind, the segway feels a push back from below. In both cases, the excess speed wants to rotate the segway forward over the handlebars, and the segway has to do alot to compensate for that!

ps - Where's bystander when you need him? I'd certainly appreciate his review of my analysis now...

segsurfer
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Would you care to explain to me what's this "turning collar" about?
Is it applicable also on the X2?
Thanks.

the "turning collar" was the turning mechanism in the gen 1 handlebar that when twisted caused you to turn. That was replaced with leensteer for the i2 and x2 models

bentbiker
01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Of course you are correct. If anyone has ever tried running on a moving sidewalk, the human being has the same problem at the end. I would seriously question whether the Segway could decelerate the upper portion of your body fast enough to prevent a faceplant. The wheels and your feet are almost instantly going to slow from 20 to 12.5 miles per hour and your upper body (still going 20mph) will forcfully rotate forward over the bars. I really doubt whether the LSF could rotate rearward fast enough and with enough force to save you.

For those having difficulty seeing the problem, increase the speed of the moving sidewalk to 30 miles an hour -- your body is moving forward at 42.5 miles an hour and suddenly the wheels slow the platform to 12.5, it becomes much easier to picture that the human isn't stopping except from the friction of his forehead on the ground.

If the combined total speed of the sidewalk and Segway relative to the sidewalk is much more than 12.5, I'd bet the rider is in a world of hurt unless he has prepositioned himself to throw his upper bodyweight rearward JUST as he gets to the end. The segway just can't accelerate fast enough to get under the rider and then rotate him backward.

John
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly enough in my last post. The discussion had focused on the transition from moving walkway to solid ground. All of my comments related to that moment in time (and not to when the segway was solely on the moving walkway). So, with that additional clarification, I stand by my earlier comments. When the segway leaves the moving walkway (which added 8 MPH to the top speed of the segway), its wheels will be be rotating MOMENTARILY at 20 MPH and it'll do drastic stuff to quickly bring itself back down to 12.5 MPH. That means it'll pushback and potentially rotate the platform backward to prepare the rider for extreme decelleration back down to 12.5 MPH.

I do want to point out that I've never done an experiment like this before. But I think I've been in similar circumstances when a large truck passes me (during long distance gliding) and I'm at top speed. At that point a blast of air hits my back pushing me up to 14 MPH. The segway fights hard to first keep me balanced but then to bring me back down to 12.5 MPH. It's a very unusual behavior that's quite disconcerting. My reason for saying that this situation is similar is when a person comes off a moving walkway, instead of a push forward from above/behind, the segway feels a push back from below. In both cases, the excess speed wants to rotate the segway forward over the handlebars, and the segway has to do alot to compensate for that!

ps - Where's bystander when you need him? I'd certainly appreciate his review of my analysis now...

polo_pro
01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Of course you are correct. If anyone has ever tried running on a moving sidewalk, the human being has the same problem at the end. I would seriously question whether the Segway could decelerate the upper portion of your body fast enough to prevent a faceplant. The wheels and your feet are almost instantly going to slow from 20 to 12.5 miles per hour and your upper body (still going 20mph) will forcfully rotate forward over the bars. I really doubt whether the LSF could rotate rearward fast enough and with enough force to save you.

For those having difficulty seeing the problem, increase the speed of the moving sidewalk to 30 miles an hour -- your body is moving forward at 42.5 miles an hour and suddenly the wheels slow the platform to 12.5, it becomes much easier to picture that the human isn't stopping except from the friction of his forehead on the ground.

If the combined total speed of the sidewalk and Segway relative to the sidewalk is much more than 12.5, I'd bet the rider is in a world of hurt unless he has prepositioned himself to throw his upper bodyweight rearward JUST as he gets to the end. The segway just can't accelerate fast enough to get under the rider and then rotate him backward.

That's definitely the 64 million dollar question...just how fast can that segway accellerate in that brief moment in time. I know I've heard that the motors are capable of 18 MPH, but that's gotta be at the upper end of the power curve. So it's not going to instantaneously get there. Leaning back as you transition might buy you a second or two as you "coast" after the transition, but I'm not sure whether you'd slow more than a MPH or two.

You know with so many bored airport security guards on segways, you'd think the above experiment would have been run once by now. If it hasn't, I have to wonder what the penalties are for dressing up like an airport security guard...say as I'm on the way to Segfest 2008 and switching planes in Ohare! It's not like I'm impersonating a police officer, right? 8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - I can see it now at Segfest 2008. "polo's scheduled seminar on polo has been postponed till tomorrow...they're still picking bits of moving walkway belt out of his road rash. Oh, and there's the matter of his arraignment on those char....well, let's just all hope he'll be here Sunday for the polo match, folks!"

KSagal
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry to have not responded earlier, as I did not realize that I had left a dangling part (isable) of this story...LOL

Because I did not think that moving at 20 mph (12 with seg, 8 with sidewalk) would be an easy transistion, I did not do it.

On that same sidewalk, I had done two other things before I got off. One was that I tried to lean back so that I would essencially stay in place at 8mph. I found that the seg would not back up that fast, so I still moved in the direction of the sidewalk.

So... I slowed to 0 relative mph (8 mph to anyone not on the sidewalk, 0 for anyone on it with me) and then turned around. THat was kind of weird doing a 180 degree turn while moving at about 8mph. Lots of momentum in weird directions...

SO, with the sidewalk traveling north at 8 mph, I was facing south and leaning into it at 8 mph, and could easily keep the same handrail seam right next to me...

THen I turned around again, but slowed to a seg speed of about 3 or 4 miles per hour before getting to the end of the sidewalk. THat deposited me onto the ground at about 12 mph, and after that first bump, the seg handled it fine...

As far as people having difficulty with this issue, I would suggest that instead of considering a faster speed, consider a slower one. If you do not walk at all, on a sidewalk that is moving at 8 mph, you would get to the end of that sidewalk, and obviously be moving at 8 mph then get to the ground that has slowed to 0. YOu would be moving with momentum, and will either step forward or fall forward.

I should also say that most sidewalks in airports usually only go 3 to 4 mph. This one had been being serviced, and was not set properly, and there were warnings not to use it. I got permission to try, and that is why I was able to play for a few minutes without worrying about any other people on this device, since it was moving too fast and therefore closed to the public.

polo_pro
01-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Too cool, Karl! Ok, it's set then...we meet in Ohare just before Segfest 2008. I'll talk to my Chicago contacts to get that long moving walkway under the tarmack between the United terminals cranked up to 8 MPH.

I'll let you make the call on who's going to be the mad scientist and who's the crash test dummy! 8^) 8^) 8^)

SEGsby
01-03-2008, 01:56 AM
If the balancing headway of the hardware is somewhere between 18 - 15 mph, then I would expect an unpleasant transition once the unit suddenly hit 20 mph.

SEGsby

Isidore
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I may not have been paying attention but surely the solution is that as you approach the end of the moving walkway you turn around and control the speed of your segway so that you reach the end with a real speed, relative to the ground, of say 1 mph, so you just gently leave the walkway, backwards but very slowly. In this way the seg only has to deal with the stored energy of its rotating parts, not of the kinetic energy of the base or the rider- the wheels will have to be slowed from say +5 mph to -1mph ( you are travelling backwards) but that's not a big deal. You couldn't do this facing in the direction of travel for anything other than a very slow moving walkway because of the limitations on segging backwards at any speed.