PDA

View Full Version : Reset reputation points and start afresh?

gbrandwood
01-06-2008, 01:42 PM
The title says it all really. Should we start again with the reputation points system and zero everyone's points. Then, we all start on an even foot.

If the participation in this poll is great, and the results overwhelming, perhaps the mods might take action.

Desert_Seg
01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Don't see the value of reseting to zero. It might be fair for a few weeks / months and then it will be screwed up again.

Steven

wwhopper
01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
And those that get good rep points will continue to get them.

And those whose posts are worthy of neg points, will get them as well.

The other thing everyone could do, is make note of the rep points as of the first of the year / month and at the end and then compare notes.

The good point of this discussion is that more people are now aware of the point system, and how it works.

polo_pro
01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Don't see the value of reseting to zero. It might be fair for a few weeks / months and then it will be screwed up again.

So what's the harm in trying then? If nothing else, from what you're saying it'd move us quicker to turning off the whole system, right? Isn't that what you want?

ps - I'd agree with Will's suggestion of reseting the rep points every Jan 1st. That way people could see how they've done over the year, and everyone ends back on an even footing for the New Year. It also makes it easy for Santa to know what to bring you for Xmas! Red = coal....

Desert_Seg
01-06-2008, 05:55 PM
So what's the harm in trying then? If nothing else, from what you're saying it'd move us quicker to turning off the whole system, right? Isn't that what you want?....

Nope, I don't want to turn the system off. I don't care either way.

My point is that I don't see the same value as you do.

Steven

KSagal
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I also see not point in resetting the points, if you don't fix the problems...

That has the same value as continuing to pump air into a tire that you know has a hole in it. Fix the problem, then reset the points. Resetting the points alone will do nothing of substance, especially since reset plus 2 minutes, none of the point counts will matter since they may be manipulated again.

As far as the snipe hits, they have no reason to not continue, unless there is a name involved...

Including a name with a rep point means almost nothing as well! Everyone here knows my name is Karl Sagal, because I tell them so. Most use a title or pen name on electronic forums. Others simply lie, and make up a different name entirely for each forum. No one has suggested including a real name on a post, just the internet name that can be as truthful or made up as the poster chooses. There is no loss of privacy, as the amount of disclosure is still up to the poster...

Many profiles do not include locations, nor real names, nor any private information, if the owner of that profile does not want that info disclosured...