PDA

View Full Version : Response to Segway Questions Posted by Members

GlideMaster
10-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Yes learning curve is very very short. It takes about a year to learn to walk and fifteen to thirty seconds to learn to trust the Segway and understand that you don't balance it; it balances you. After a few minutes on the Segway I try to get people to let go of the handle bar and just relax and stand there. I also try to show them that if you think forward it goes forward and think backwards and it goes backwards. I know it's due to the stabilizer sensors and the five solid state gyros.

The skiing skills come in when you take turns at a fast rate of speed or make sudden in out moves such as on a slalom course. I do what is called MonoSkiing, one board two regular ski bindings next to each other. When you ski you angulate on some turns and lean on others. It's according to your method of skiing. On the Segway I lean and use the edges of my feet ooh so slight to edge into a fast turn.
If you're lucky you might see the Segway at one of Chicagos' two airports. The city has six being tried by different Departments. The problem is the Govenor has not signed the necessary bills into law that would allow it to be riden on the sidewalks and bike paths.
Just because people see it does not mean they call the media right away. I taught the Policewoman, shown on the front of the Suntimes how to ride for about her first thirty minutes. Then the Segway instructor arrived and taught the class all day.
I had the Segway for the first four days before any training was given. I just figured it out in a few minutes controls and all. I'm not sure if you know that the Segway comes with three keys. Black 6MPH, Yellow 9MPH and Red 12.5MPH. I did not know this when I first figured how the keys worked. Luckily I tried the black key first which is like a demo mode and it turns very slow. The red key is the bomb. I hear Dean Kamen has a blue. Who knows how fast that goes. I still have access at times, I ride it in the parking lots and grass and dirt and gravel.

Hope this information adds some insight into your opinion of the Segway.

Please share with other members. Will send a photo on Segway later.

Please excuse all errors this was done in a hurry.

n/a
10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Once again, your participation here willingness to answer questions about your experiences is much appreciated.

I will repost my modified questons that were not answered in the other thread u first posted to:

- Under what conditions and in what sort of terrain have u ridden?
- How fast did u go under these conditions/terrain?
- In the 36+ hours u have ridden it, have u fallen off or come close to an accident?
- Did u try to run into anybody/anything? If so at what speed and how was the impact?
- Did the novelty/fun of riding the Segway wear off after 36 hours or less?
- Have used Segway in follow mode? How much effort did it take to pull/push it on level ground or on an incline?
- Have u seen any elderly or mobility impaired people ride the Segway? If so, how did they do?
- Did u or someone else experience any mechanical or battery problems in the period of time u have been exposed to the Segways?

With regard to the issue of objectivity: are u in any way associated with Segway that might limit u with regard to objectivity and candidness?

Brooster
10-11-2002, 07:51 PM
We appreciate any comments you're able to provide ... thanks!

Broo

Brooster

Blinky
10-12-2002, 10:39 PM
I was just curious weskifm about the battery hook up.

- If you know, how long does it take for a Segway to fully charge?
- Did the battery charger have the (FINISHED CHARGING) indicator on it or did the Segway-HT have it on its interface?
- What was the brand of the battery charger Segway-HT?
- Does the Segway-HT 'beep' if batteries are low?

Other question relating to Segway-HT...

- Are the keys you used unique to one individual machine it was made for?
- Any kind of security lock on the Segway?
- Was the turn handle 'sensitive' to the turn? (ex. softer the twist, the slower the turn)
- The last time you looked, how worn out were the tires on the Segway-HT? (if any)

Like everyone else in here, I too really appreciate anything you can add to the questions.

GlideMaster
10-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Ok where do I start.
I think it takes about 6 hours for a full charge. I've forgotten some of the information.
The Segway has an onboard charger by Magnatek and it blinks green when charging. It is located at the very base of the shaft. The interface dial is on the handlebar and is called Bingo and is a multifaceted indicator for showing the working condition of most systems that are electrically monitored by the Segway. It has quite a few indicators on Bingo to show everything from the charge to various problems that might come up.
Each key on the Segway is unique to that Segway unless otherwise programed. In the future companies will be able to configure their own keys. A company will also be able to program steering sensitivity and maximum speed. No it does not beep if the battery goes low but the Bingo indicator is very visible and easy to understand the hash mark, 2- twenty percent hash marks and 6- ten percent hash marks.

The Segway has millions of of key codes that are 64-bit encrypted.
No key no start machine. No way to hot wire the Segway either. The tires are in very good shape but they are not made like car or bike tires. You just have to see them. They have slight diagonal slits.
There is a hole through the wheel by the air stem for a Kryptonite Lock. Plus it's hard to run away with 85 or 95lbs. And without the key once again you have nothing.

[u]Did I Pass The Test?</u>

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

I was just curious weskifm about the battery hook up.

- If you know, how long does it take for a Segway to fully charge?
- Did the battery charger have the (FINISHED CHARGING) indicator on it or did the Segway-HT have it on its interface?
- What was the brand of the battery charger Segway-HT?
- Does the Segway-HT 'beep' if batteries are low?

Other question relating to Segway-HT...

- Are the keys you used unique to one individual machine it was made for?
- Any kind of security lock on the Segway?
- Was the turn handle 'sensitive' to the turn? (ex. softer the twist, the slower the turn)
- The last time you looked, how worn out were the tires on the Segway-HT? (if any)

Like everyone else in here, I too really appreciate anything you can add to the questions.

GlideMaster
10-13-2002, 08:19 PM
quote]Originally posted by Lawrence

Once again, your participation here willingness to answer questions about your experiences is much appreciated.

I will repost my modified questons that were not answered in the other thread u first posted to:

- Under what conditions and in what sort of terrain have u ridden?
I've ridden on gravel, sand, puddles,plain old dirt, grass, mulch, concrete, asphalt, carpet, tile waxed floors baseball diamond, narrow handicap access ramps, up hills of grass down hills of grass, and jumped off of 3 to five inch curbs. I've also ridden it in soapy water and even oil spots.
- How fast did u go under these conditions/terrain?
I try to always ride at a reasonable speed using the Red key which is programed to a top speed of 12.5 MPH
- In the 36+ hours u have ridden it, have u fallen off or come close to an accident?
I have since ridden "Ginger" more than forty-two hours now and I have never fallen or come close to falling. But my being an avid skier for 28 yrs probably gives me a little more control and confidence. Plus I always try to ride under control because I want the Segway to be accepted by society as much as they accept bikes. So it is important that the initial use of the Segway portrays a good image.
- Did u try to run into anybody/anything? If so at what speed and how was the impact?
I saw a guy show that it would stop and not hurt you it you were struck at a reasonable speed. And I've had someone ride over my foot as a demonstration of how you would not feel much of anything and I must admit that it was nothing.
- Did the novelty/fun of riding the Segway wear off after 36 hours or less?
The Segway to me is like an off season way of skiing and after 28 years of skiing I still crave the Utah and Colorado every winter.
- Have used Segway in follow mode? How much effort did it take to pull/push it on level ground or on an incline?
I have used the Segway in the follow mode up and down the stairs and the only effort used was pulling it up the stairs in the follow mode. But the effort was not much because it is under power in the follow mode and goes backwards and forward with the twist of the turning collar.
- Have u seen any elderly or mobility impaired people ride the Segway? If so, how did they do?
I've had people in their sixties on it and they had no problem except they were mad because I told them they could not buy one for themselves as of yet.
- Did u or someone else experience any mechanical or battery problems in the period of time u have been exposed to the Segways?
I have encountered no mechanical or battery problems in the period of time I've used the Segway. I have taken the battery down to total depletion, I was inside and had to give it a charge.

With regard to the issue of objectivity: are u in any way associated with Segway that might limit u with regard to objectivity and candidness?
The only way I'm connected to Segway is when I get my hands on it each time. Do you have any clout with D.K.?
[/quote]

JohnG
10-13-2002, 08:28 PM
It's funny you call the user display "Bingo"...! The training materials have "UI Bingo" (UI = user interface) in them, to help you learn to identify the various displays and their corresponding meaning, but the display itself is not called "Bingo." At least nobody in the company calls it that.

The blue key is new, but it goes less than the red key.

The keys are not encrypted, but encoded. I know it may be semantics to some, but it's not accurate to say they are "encrypted."

http://www.segway.com/segway/models.html

Blinky
10-13-2002, 08:35 PM
weskifm says...
quote:Did I Pass The Test?
I have to say, you've done a hell of a job answering my questions.[^] Thanks for you time. I'll be sure to ask if I can think of anymore.

GlideMaster
10-13-2002, 09:08 PM
I'm a little new at this all I know is that my material from the training class says

"Intelligent Key"
"Segway HT comes with Intelligent Keys that work like electronic keys, storing a unique 64-bit encrypted key code that is required for the machine to start. Each Intelligent Key also stores performance attributes like maximum speed; and steering sensitivity."

"Enventually, fleet managers will be able to custom configure these keys to allow companies to make fleet-wide decisions. In the future, you'll also have the opportunity to purchase self-programmable Intelligent Keys, allowing you to customize a wide range of performance and operating variables."

Even though this information is the newest information put out by Segway they probably gave me some bad inkformation. Sorry! Also they made another error when they used the name "Bingo" in the manual that come packaged with the Segway. My bad I thought the Green face in the Balance Mode was called Bingo. I'm goning to throw all of this information that I have away (i mean shred it because I would not want anyone else to have the wrong info).
Once again I'm sorry for the dissemination of misinformation.

I guess if the black key is 6 MPH, the yellow key 9 PMH and the red -12.5 MPH the blue must be ____MPH don't keep it a secret share all of your online expertise with all. If any more questions are asked I will be sure to direct them to jgrohol.

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

It's funny you call the user display "Bingo"...! The training materials have "UI Bingo" (UI = user interface) in them, to help you learn to identify the various displays and their corresponding meaning, but the display itself is not called "Bingo." At least nobody in the company calls it that.

The blue key is new, but it goes less than the red key.

The keys are not encrypted, but encoded. I know it may be semantics to some, but it's not accurate to say they are "encrypted."

http://www.segway.com/segway/models.html

Cube128
10-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Any chance you could get your hands on a Segway manual and scan it for us?

GlideMaster
10-13-2002, 09:10 PM
You are more than welcome. I've only had one critic so far.

weskifm says...
quote:Did I Pass The Test?
I have to say, you've done a hell of a job answering my questions.[^] Thanks for you time. I'll be sure to ask if I can think of anymore.

GlideMaster
10-13-2002, 09:18 PM
I'll have to see if I can find it. It is not a training manual per se. Just a little booklet. I was ridding before I really read the booklet. I figured most of the system out before I read the booklet.
I was just glad that I picked the demo mode key before I got carried away and had to be carried away. I had it four day before I even took the training class. So you can guess what I did for four days. Once I took out of the box that was it but I'll try and look for it.

quote:Originally posted by Cube128

Any chance you could get your hands on a Segwayt manual and scan it for us?

Brooster
10-14-2002, 01:40 AM
Okay, NOW we've come into some meaningful discussion of the machine and its nuances. When I saw weskifm's first post, I thought it was another hoax. Being the first "Dweeb" in Chicago (if not the nation) to ride the thing, and reading weskifm's posts, I can tell this is no hoax. G-Rob, I'd like to know in what proffesional capacity you're doing what you're doing. Don't forget that standing offer of a beer (and even dinner) at the yacht club ...

Jgrohol, welcome to the board as well ... what is your association with the Segway?

Brooster

Brooster
10-14-2002, 01:51 AM
By the way, I should mention that Cube128 ... a man of years too young to ride the Segway during the Chicago demo ... but of maturity well beyond his years ... was the man who brought the Chicago Show to our attention in the first place, on TIQ.

Cube128 is an excellent writer; one of our better thinkers, and a valued participant on this board.

Brooster

ziggystardust_
10-14-2002, 09:08 AM
What I found interesting in the training materials is the fact that there was no section in the maintenance chapter for changing the most often broken part on the Segway, the parking stand. the fact that it is meant to break away easily in order to prevent incidents where the rider tries to ride away with it down leads to it breaking away waay too easily. With that in mind the training manual should have those instructions in there. At least from the version I saw a month or two ago. So if any Segway employees are reading this, put that information in there. I'm sure it'll lead to less calls to your service phone line.

Also, perhaps Segway R&D has figured out a way to put down the parking stand in soft ground with out the stand digging in too much. Maybe a flared type of bottom rather than a bolt-style digging straight into the ground

n/a
10-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Wes, thanks for responding to all my questions.

quote:...jumped off of 3 to five inch curbs.

How does that compare with hopping off a curb with a bike? Do u feel the bumps more? Are Segway riders encouraged to hop off curbs instead of getting off the Segway and stepping off curbs? Do u foresee Segways being able to hop on to curbs?

I've also ridden it in soapy water and even oil spots. [/quote]

If the soapy water and oil spills were on a very smooth surface like a tile waxed floor, I would be very impressed.

Do u foresee Segwaying as a potential substitute for skiing or similar sports?

quote:...I saw a guy show that it would stop and not hurt you it you were struck at a reasonable speed.

Might a small child or animal get hurt if it collided with Segway as some fear? BTW what is a reasonable speed to get hit by a Segway?

quote:- Have used Segway in follow mode? How much effort did it take to pull/push it on level ground or on an incline?
I have used the Segway in the follow mode up and down the stairs and the only effort used was pulling it up the stairs in the follow mode. But the effort was not much because it is under power in the follow mode and goes backwards and forward with the twist of the turning collar.
I've had people in their sixties on it and they had no problem except they were mad because I told them they could not buy one for themselves as of yet.

Is it your impression then that the Segway could be a usefull transporteration device for elderly that might not be capable of riding a bike or are to some extent keeping up with the rest of us on the sidewalks? Does it not require a certain amount of nimblness to get on and off the Segways?

How long does it take to change a battery on a Segway? What does a Segway battery weigh? Is it a feasable solution to take an extra battery for the long trips?

I gather that your impression is that most people who have ridden the Segways were interested in buying them. If so were these normal people or people with lots of money to spend?

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 11:43 AM
Yes ziggystardust
You are so right about the kickstand. That was the first thing that broke after I had ridden it a couple of days. I stopped to take a personal (bathroom) parked it on carpet, came out stood on it to take off and forgot about the kickstand. It just shot away like a rubber band. Three days later at the training session the only person who had one with a good kickstand was the instructor. He said the breaking of kickstands was not uncommon. But I don't think it is very easy to change. I think the wheel may have to be removed. But don't quote me on that. I did ask at the session but I've since forgotten. It leans on the wall well.
You can always get the e model with the electronic kickstand where it balances itself.
quote:Originally posted by ziggystardust_

What I found interesting in the training materials is the fact that there was no section in the maintenance chapter for changing the most often broken part on the Segway, the parking stand. the fact that it is meant to break away easily in order to prevent incidents where the rider tries to ride away with it down leads to it breaking away waay too easily. With that in mind the training manual should have those instructions in there. At least from the version I saw a month or two ago. So if any Segway employees are reading this, put that information in there. I'm sure it'll lead to less calls to your service phone line.

Also, perhaps Segway R&D has figured out a way to put down the parking stand in soft ground with out the stand digging in too much. Maybe a flared type of bottom rather than a bolt-style digging straight into the ground

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Hi Brooster!
So you thought I was a hoax? No, I'm the real deal. Just someone who believes in the Segway and has no connections with Segway. When I found out the Segway was going to be delivered to my Department I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I want to Segway in the spring, summer and fall. Then ski in the winter.

Now jgrohol sounds like he might work or have some connection to Segway. He had a problem with the response that I gave to another member. Said it was all a mater of semantics. Most of his replies seem to be in the form of links back to the Segway.com site. I have not really looked into the site that deep so I'm not aware of everything that's on it. I don't get paid for this I'm just trying to share the experiences that I've had. All of them positive. I just want to get my Segway and ride ride ride.

quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Okay, NOW we've come into some meaningful discussion of the machine and its nuances. When I saw weskifm's first post, I thought it was another hoax. Being the first "Dweeb" in Chicago (if not the nation) to ride the thing, and reading weskifm's posts, I can tell this is no hoax. G-Rob, I'd like to know in what proffesional capacity you're doing what you're doing. Don't forget that standing offer of a beer (and even dinner) at the yacht club ...

Jgrohol, welcome to the board as well ... what is your association with the Segway?

Brooster

Brooster
10-14-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the clarification weskifm. I'm just a wee bit jealous!

Broo

Brooster

Casey
10-14-2002, 12:23 PM
weskifm,

I think John Grohol is the site administrator of Segway.com. I think he also designed that site.

As for you, my guess is that the middle part of your name "ski" is for your love of skiing. Wes might refer to your real name (just guessing here). The fm I'm still working on. :-)

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

How does that compare with hopping off a curb with a bike?
Sorry Lawrence I can't compare it with jumping a bike off of a curb because I haven't taken a bike off of a curb in year. Now I have jumped off a few small moguls skiing and to me it was the same sort of landing. Just bend you knees a little and absorb the thump. The moguls are much higher than curbs. I don't think Segway intended the HT to be a curb jumping device. But it holds its' own.
Do u feel the bumps more? Are Segway riders encouraged to hop off curbs instead of getting off the Segway and stepping off curbs? Do u foresee Segways being able to hop on to curbs?
No I don't foresee Segways hoping up on curbs. But I'm sure you can do it if you just time your hop just right when you jerk up on the handle bar as you jump up. Sort of like jumping a skate board over a curb but you need to lift up the 85 lb unit at the same time as you jump. I don't think I would try it yet. I would want to make sure the shaft ajustment would not slip. I always tell people I want the Segway to be accepted by the general population and if they see people trying to do tricks and falling or getting hurt that would not be good for having the Segway accepted by society.

I've also ridden it in soapy water and even oil spots.
I rode in all of this stuff outside.

If the soapy water and oil spills were on a very smooth surface like a tile waxed floor, I would be very impressed. I've ridden it on waxed floors but not in water. The tires are great when it comes to traction and bumps.

NOPE- it could develope into a sport all of its' own.

quote:...I saw a guy show that it would stop and not hurt you it you were struck at a reasonable speed.

Might a small child or animal get hurt if it collided with Segway as some fear? BTW what is a reasonable speed to get hit by a Segway?

Anything is possible and I'm quite sure your speed would have a lot to do with the amount of injuries incurred if any.

quote:- Have used Segway in follow mode? How much effort did it take to pull/push it on level ground or on an incline?

Is it your impression then that the Segway could be a usefull transporteration device for elderly that might not be capable of riding a bike or are to some extent keeping up with the rest of us on the sidewalks? Does it not require a certain amount of nimblness to get on and off the Segways?

How long does it take to change a battery on a Segway? What does a Segway battery weigh? Is it a feasable solution to take an extra battery for the long trips?

I gather that your impression is that most people who have ridden the Segways were interested in buying them. If so were these normal people or people with lots of money to spend?
[/quote]

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 12:44 PM
You may be jealous but I'm mad because I feel i'm being teased. Like here it is ride it for a few hours now give it back.

Brooster tell me about yourself. Dweeb site would not open on my selfmade P4 windows XP system. Usually I can run anything. And I am running just about everything. How do I post a picture on this site and maybe even a video when I do another. You asked where do I work. Read back through my original introductory info. You'll catch it. Where do you work or do you.

Thanks for the clarification weskifm. I'm just a wee bit jealous!

Broo

Brooster

muckle
10-14-2002, 12:49 PM
So if the Segway's speed is limited by software, what is the top speed of an 'unlimited' Segway? Intriguing...

Casey
10-14-2002, 12:53 PM
weskifm,

If you have something you want hosted, ie video or picture, contact Frank Tropea at segwaychat@segwaychat.com

I'm sure he will be very accomodating.

DC is down this morning. Newman said on TIQ that they got "hacked".

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 01:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by weskifm

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

How does that compare with hopping off a curb with a bike?
Sorry Lawrence I can't compare it with jumping a bike off of a curb because I haven't taken a bike off of a curb in year. Now I have jumped off a few small moguls skiing and to me it was the same sort of landing. Just bend you knees a little and absorb the thump. The moguls are much higher than curbs. I don't think Segway intended the HT to be a curb jumping device. But it holds its' own.
Do u feel the bumps more? Are Segway riders encouraged to hop off curbs instead of getting off the Segway and stepping off curbs? Do u foresee Segways being able to hop on to curbs?
No I don't foresee Segways hoping up on curbs. But I'm sure you can do it if you just time your hop just right when you jerk up on the handle bar as you jump up. Sort of like jumping a skate board over a curb but you need to lift up the 85 lb unit at the same time as you jump. I don't think I would try it yet. I would want to make sure the shaft ajustment would not slip. I always tell people I want the Segway to be accepted by the general population and if they see people trying to do tricks and falling or getting hurt that would not be good for having the Segway accepted by society.

I've also ridden it in soapy water and even oil spots.
I rode in all of this stuff outside.

If the soapy water and oil spills were on a very smooth surface like a tile waxed floor, I would be very impressed. I've ridden it on waxed floors but not in water. The tires are great when it comes to traction and bumps.

NOPE- it could develope into a sport all of its' own.

Anything is possible and I'm quite sure your speed would have a lot to do with the amount of injuries incurred if any.

Yes the Segway could be usefull for a certain segment of the elderly that cannot ride a bike. But they would need that nimblness or mental reflexes and physical reflexes to make sudden moves and changes in direction if something got in their way. There are young people that can't do that.

I have never changed a battery on a Segway. But from what I was shown all you have to do is remove a few allen screws from the underside of the Segway. Allen wrenches come with the unit. I'm sure that there will be changes invoked to allow for extra batteries to be hooked up with out much fuss in the near future. This question has been asked hundreds of times so i've been told.

The people who have ridden it around me were normal peole but I haave no idea how much dispossable income they have. Some have asked me could I sell the one I was on. A good number have said they would like to buy it if the price was right. I told them they would just have to wait a while.

[/quote]

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 01:19 PM
I have no idea maybe Jgrolhol (a member ) could help on this question.

quote:Originally posted by muckle

So if the Segway's speed is limited by software, what is the top speed of an 'unlimited' Segway? Intriguing...

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Tnaks Casey

quote:Originally posted by Casey

weskifm,

If you have something you want hosted, ie video or picture, contact Frank Tropea at segwaychat@segwaychat.com

I'm sure he will be very accomodating.

DC is down this morning. Newman said on TIQ that they got "hacked".

n/a
10-14-2002, 01:46 PM
quote:I gather that your impression is that most people who have ridden the Segways were interested in buying them. If so were these normal people or people with lots of money to spend?

The people who have ridden it around me were normal peole but I haave no idea how much dispossable income they have. Some have asked me could I sell the one I was on. A good number have said they would like to buy it if the price was right. I told them they would just have to wait a while.

Did u get the impression that some just considered Segway to be an expensive toy?

quote:I rode in all of this stuff outside.

Would u say that the traction and balancing on Segway is better than for a pedestrian? Kamen did make such a statement, though I dont recall his expact words.

Brooster
10-14-2002, 04:05 PM
Weskifm, the DweebCabal site is down at the moment, and is being worked on. When it comes back up, just register and send me a personal message through the "mesenger," and we'll chat. My name is the same there as it is here ... be sure to use a capital B when sending a message.

You can post pictures there (as long as you have URLs for them), but I don't know about video. We can check into that with Pappy, the admin. I DO know that 4Seg would probably be delighted to host any video on his site, www.4segway.biz, and there's a good chance that Frank T. can help you out with hosting here on SegChat as well.

Thanks again for all the great info. Of all the members on all the Kamen-related boards, you've certainly provided some of the best information to date.

I know what you mean about feeling "teased." How do you think I feel ... I got to ride it for about 3-5 minutes! And of course 99% of the people here have yet to get that first ride. Hopefully it won't be that much longer before we're all Segging about and grinning from ear to ear!

Broo

Brooster

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info on Mr John Grohol. I'm glad my investigative skills did not let me down. It's nice to know that the site is monitored by someone from Segway. Why don't they just answer all of the questions? I am really one of the biggest supporters of Segway, probably more so than some of its'employees. I have a lot of good ideas that would be good for the Segway but not sure how to go about getting them to the LLC. I've even got two great safety slogans for Segway but who knows how it would be received. I would like to think they would not be the types to snub their noses at a good idea if they did not come up with a certain idea. I've even got two great inexpensive kickstand ideas. I'm not looking for anything from them other than to give them credit where credit is due. I think all of their teams have done a great job. All I really want to do is ride and preach the word of Segway.

Ride Safe
weskifm

The weskifm is like a radio stations' call letters weskifm or in some states it would be a keskifm because some states start with a k.

weskifm,

I think John Grohol is the site administrator of Segway.com. I think he also designed that site.

As for you, my guess is that the middle part of your name "ski" is for your love of skiing. Wes might refer to your real name (just guessing here). The fm I'm still working on. :-)

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Hey Brooster
What is the 4Segway Site? Is it connected with this site by means other than the love of Segway? I hate to say it but jgrohol has made me a little paranoid about participating in other sites since my hunch was right that he is connected with the King of Balance.

Weskifm, the DweebCabal site is down at the moment, and is being worked on. When it comes back up, just register and send me a personal message through the "mesenger," and we'll chat. My name is the same there as it is here ... be sure to use a capital B when sending a message.

You can post pictures there (as long as you have URLs for them), but I don't know about video. We can check into that with Pappy, the admin. I DO know that 4Seg would probably be delighted to host any video on his site, www.4segway.biz, and there's a good chance that Frank T. can help you out with hosting here on SegChat as well.

Thanks again for all the great info. Of all the members on all the Kamen-related boards, you've certainly provided some of the best information to date.

I know what you mean about feeling "teased." How do you think I feel ... I got to ride it for about 3-5 minutes! And of course 99% of the people here have yet to get that first ride. Hopefully it won't be that much longer before we're all Segging about and grinning from ear to ear!

Broo

Brooster

Casey
10-14-2002, 08:10 PM
The only connection to 4segway is that he is a regular poster on this forum. Segwaychat is a standalone forum owned by Frank Tropea.

Frank is hosting some videos for 4Segway on this site, and as I say, if you have pictures of interest concerning Segway I am sure he will do the same for you. I am one of the originators of SegwayChat, and a forum moderator in case you hadn't figured that out.

Go ahead and visit 4Segway's site. He is a huge Segway supporter.

http://www.stlsegway.com

GlideMaster
10-14-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks again Casey!

The only connection to 4segway is that he is a regular poster on this forum. Segwaychat is a standalone forum owned by Frank Tropea.

Frank is hosting some videos for 4Segway on this site, and as I say, if you have pictures of interest concerning Segway I am sure he will do the same for you. I am one of the originators of SegwayChat, and a forum moderator in case you hadn't figured that out.

Go ahead and visit 4Segway's site. He is a huge Segway supporter.

http://www.stlsegway.com

Newman
10-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Good work Weskifm. You've been busy. No big questions, just thanks for the info. We have been mostly limited to guesswork. Seems Chicago is cruisin and MN doesn't even know what segway is. You and Broo are lucky.

To Infinity and Beyond!

GlideMaster
10-15-2002, 08:34 AM
Glad to be of help.
quote:Originally posted by Newman

Good work Weskifm. You've been busy. No big questions, just thanks for the info. We have been mostly limited to guesswork. Seems Chicago is cruisin and MN doesn't even know what segway is. You and Broo are lucky.

To Infinity and Beyond!

ftropea
10-15-2002, 06:21 PM
weskifm,

I've given you a photo album here on SegwayChat. Please upload/post any Segway HT related photos you would like to share:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album.asp

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
10-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Thnaks Frank, I feel like I've been given an award. Give me a little while to get some digital photo's together. I've got some but not to my liking.

Thanks Again
weskifm

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

weskifm,

I've given you a photo album here on SegwayChat. Please upload/post any Segway HT related photos you would like to share:

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Casey
10-15-2002, 08:10 PM
There is a 120kb maximum on file size, and I it only accepts jpeg and gif formats.

GlideMaster
10-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks Casey, I'm going to have to take a few good digital photos.

There is a 120kb maximum on file size, and I it only accepts jpeg and gif formats.

Casey
10-15-2002, 08:56 PM
I for one will be looking forward to them. Good luck with the project.

Blinky
10-16-2002, 02:23 AM
Hey Weskifm,

In another topic we are discussing Segway-HT accessories http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=211, Should I be left to assume that the Segway-HT's were locked up in a room ;) and not locked up with anykind of special device?

GlideMaster
10-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Locked in a room and then you have to get past a lot of people to get to it and then you still have no key.

Hey Weskifm,

In another topic we are discussing Segway-HT accessories http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=211, Should I be left to assume that the Segway-HT's were locked up in a room ;) and not locked up with anykind of special device?

GlideMaster
10-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Just finished riding and it was cold;wish I had my gloves on. It seemed as if the power went down to almost 80% kind of fast. The top 20% of Bingos' head was blinking sooner than I've noticed in the past. I don't think I was riding that long. I will be checking it in the future.

weskifm,

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
10-16-2002, 03:14 PM
The theft issue is still an interesting one. Segway LLC/Kamen states that the Segways are useless with out the smart key and therefore there will be no point in stealing them. Even if we assume that nobody will be able to hack them or hardwire them to make them functional without their intended keys, might there be profit in stealing Segways for spare parts, eg. tires, batteries etc.?

Wes, do u feel u have any special insight to answer this question?

GlideMaster
10-17-2002, 01:11 AM
tried to upload a photo from today but the file was too large. I'll have to try and compress it.

weskifm,

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Seg-wager
10-17-2002, 04:46 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences, wes. I can understand Broo's position after having followed Segway for so long. ;)

Hey newmie! I couldn't get into D.C. just now. :(

GlideMaster
10-17-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Frank,

I took a photo yesterday but I'm having problems making it small enough. Any ideas? I'll still work on it.

quote:Originally posted by weskifm

tried to upload a photo from today but the file was too large. I'll have to try and compress it.

weskifm,

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
10-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Hey Weskifm,

If you e-mail me the picture, I can resize it for you.

If you want to try it yourself... and you're using an imaging editing program like Adobe Photoshop, resizing is easy. Just click on IMAGE - IMAGE SIZE and downsize the resolution to something like 400x300 or whatever you can get close to that. Then SAVE AS a Jpeg file in medium to high quality.

If you don't have Photoshop, there is a good shareware program I like called Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/

You can do the same resize/cropping procedures using that free utility.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
10-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Do you ever go to sleep? I have Photoshop at home but I will try and download irfanview since I do have my compact flash with me.

Thanks for the info. I guess I was trying to send the photo too large.

Hey Weskifm,

If you e-mail me the picture, I can resize it for you.

If you want to try it yourself... and you're using an imaging editing program like Adobe Photoshop, resizing is easy. Just click on IMAGE - IMAGE SIZE and downsize the resolution to something like 400x300 or whatever you can get close to that. Then SAVE AS a Jpeg file in medium to high quality.

If you don't have Photoshop, there is a good shareware program I like called Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/

You can do the same resize/cropping procedures using that free utility.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Casey
10-17-2002, 10:53 AM
I don't know about PhotoShop, but I use 602Photo which is free, and if I set just the height it automatically makes the width correct to keep the proper h to w ratio.

I have been using 400 to 500 for the height.

ftropea
10-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Sleep? ;)

Like Dean Kamen, if I'm awake - I'm working on something :)

We have that size limit not to preserve bandwidth, but to make sure the images are not too large--where viewing them in a photo album would be torture for anyone with less than a T1 connection.

Thanks Weskifm.. looking forward to seeing those pics.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks Frank,
I'll have to try and do this at home i'm getting busy. See Ya.

Have a good day.

Sleep? ;)

Like Dean Kamen, if I'm awake - I'm working on something :)

We have that size limit not to preserve bandwidth, but to make sure the images are not too large--where viewing them in a photo album would be torture for anyone with less than a T1 connection.

Thanks Weskifm.. looking forward to seeing those pics.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea