PDA

View Full Version : Guests on SegwayChat Question?

DarthSegVator
12-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I've noticed large amounts of "guests" on SC...over one hundred (at the same time) on a regular basis.

There is no way to tell if this is a single visit guest or a repeat guest. Maybe the admins know based on IP addresses.

I suspect that a fair number are repeat visitors who don't register. My question is: Why do you think someone with an interest in SC wouldn't want to register?

pam
12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Could well be people who are interested in the Segway, but either don't have one, so they aren't comfortable with "contributing," or don't anticipate getting one soon, and guest status is fine for them.

Or media looking for backup information, or lawyers doing research.

Or it could be people who are guests until they sign up - which might be that session or a later one. I've been known to approve as many as 17 people as new members at one whack, many who have never posted. (once they get the welcome letter explaining that they're on moderation and that spamming is prohibited, I think some of the spammers that join just go away).

Pam

GyroGo
12-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Or members lurking, too lazy to login. :)

JohnG
12-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Most of them are various search engines doing their regular indexing thing. There are hundreds of search engines, and they visit most active websites a few times a week.

John

KSagal
12-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Perhaps it is a another facet of the famous 'Vast Right-wing Conspiracy'... LOL