PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checker

bentbiker
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't see a forum for site related items, so feel free to move this question.

Why does the spell checker for postings work beautifully for my Mac using Safari as a browser, but it doesn't work with IE7 and Windows (whether on a PC or Windows on the Mac)? I assumed people were just being too lazy to pay attention to the flagged misspellings until I switched to my other computer.

gbrandwood
12-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi John

There is a site feedback forum (Community Feedback and Support (http://forums.segwaychat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)). And the spell checker works fine for me in IE7, XP SP2. I'm using IE spell.

Does the forum have its own spell checker? Have you installed IE spell? It's free for non-commercial usage.

Cheers

Gareth

japaneezy
12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
there is no spell checker on the board, the spell checker on your mac is part of the Macintosh Operating System. You need to install a 3rd party spell checker on your win dohs box like Gareth said if you want spell check functionality on that end.

Mr_Laurenzano
12-14-2007, 07:07 PM
speln is me best aload dungwigits sedgway knoters hook.
RaCHs
Huu?

quade
12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
speln is me best aload dungwigits sedgway knoters hook.
RaCHs
Huu?

I know you're attempting to be incomprehensible, but how is that any different than one of your "normal" posts? :D

KSagal
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
There is an icon for spell check on my pop-up window for making a reply post, but when I use it, it tells me that I have to download a program for it to work, then my security software gets it's panties in a bunch, so I just don't bother...

Speaking of that, I have seen where I type correctly, spell check it myself or in another program, and it still gets a bit mangled when put up on the board. I always thought this was a tiny incompatability between my browser and this forum, or between two different platforms.

Either way, while I do find misspellings on this forum a bit of a distraction, it is not my biggest problem in life. It ranks pretty far down the list.

I have seen many posts that made my blood boil, but everything was spelled correctly.

I have seen other posts, either well written or inciteful enough, regardless of the poster or position, that were still great posts, even with a misspelling or two...

By the way one of my other pet peeves is when people cannot differenciate between to, two, and too.

Sal
12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I have seen other posts, either well written or inciteful enough, regardless of the poster or position, that were still great posts, even with a misspelling or two...

By the way one of my other pet peeves is when people cannot differenciate between to, two, and too.

...or the difference between "incite" and "insight." :p

-Sal

Sal
12-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't see a forum for site related items, so feel free to move this question.

Why does the spell checker for postings work beautifully for my Mac using Safari as a browser, but it doesn't work with IE7 and Windows (whether on a PC or Windows on the Mac)? I assumed people were just being too lazy to pay attention to the flagged misspellings until I switched to my other computer.

there is no spell checker on the board, the spell checker on your mac is part of the Macintosh Operating System. You need to install a 3rd party spell checker on your win dohs box like Gareth said if you want spell check functionality on that end.

Japaneezy is right, that's OS X's own checker. (I'm on Safari on a Mac as well).

-Sal

bentbiker
12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Japaneezy is right, that's OS X's own checker. (I'm on Safari on a Mac as well).

-Sal

Has it been working for you guys all along? Mine just started working two weeks ago. I was hoping that it would give advice (not advise) to a few members that their (not there or they're) words are spelled incorrectly, but as Terry pointed out, spell checkers don't help with the misuse of correctly spelled words. And as Sal has pointed out, the use of a homonym can totally change the meaning -- not that we ever have misunderstandings over what somebody is trying to say.

Thanks guys. Gareth, maybe you can give some more help to those wishing (and really needing) a spell checker for the PC. As I understand it, a lot of the lurkers on the website are here because their teachers have assigned them homework to find at least 150 examples per night on SC for class discussion, and typos don't count.:)

bentbiker
12-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi John

There is a site feedback forum (Community Feedback and Support (http://forums.segwaychat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)). And the spell checker works fine for me in IE7, XP SP2. I'm using IE spell.

Does the forum have its own spell checker? Have you installed IE spell? It's free for non-commercial usage.

Cheers

Gareth
Wow! I couldn't find the forum, didn't know the spell-checker was a part of my OS or browser, and no, I have never heard of IE Spell. I will give it (IE Spell) a try, but if I read their site correctly, it doesn't check on the fly -- you have to push a button (hopefully it doesn't require highlighting). Thanks to everyone for not starting their post with "You dummy, . . ."

John

bentbiker
12-14-2007, 09:45 PM

-Sal
Sal,

You misunderstood. Karl wants them to "differenciate" not differentiate?:D

[EDIT] Add smilie to make it clear this was a poor attempt at humor.

KSagal
12-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, I will be the first to admit that my spelling is not very accurate. I often make simple mistakes.

My dyslexia has no place in this discussion, nor my formal education, nor the fact that I post from many locations, and from at least 3 different computers, one being my Blackberry.

All that said, if my wife is not in the room, or Bill Gates proofreading for me, I will likely make sophmoric spelling errors.

I also stated that the spelling is less important to me than the content, but seems that had no traction. If this forum did a little less back biting, and a bit more to encourage positive conversations I might give it the extra effort of more spelling attention.

Many have already commented on their thoughts of how people tearing apart a post, just to pick on the elements, while ignoring the obvious message, is not making this forum a friendly place.

All that said, I have been known to incite more than one over-reaction, while simultaneously missing the insight of the poster... Of course, I cannot differentiate between a funny post and a cheap shot...

Desert_Seg
12-15-2007, 03:42 AM

-Sal

Or the difference between your and you're :p:p

Steven

Desert_Seg
12-15-2007, 03:46 AM
...from at least 3 different computers, one being my Blackberry....

Karl,

Browsing SC on my Blackberry is a pain as I don't believe they have a mobile version of their pages.

Have you found the secret to do so?

Steven

Sal
12-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Or the difference between your and you're :p:p

Steven

Your so write!

-Sal

Desert_Seg
12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Your so write!

-Sal

Excellent!!!!!!!

Too bad I can't give you rep points either or your light would be brighter!

Steven

Sal
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Has it been working for you guys all along? Mine just started working two weeks ago.

John,

No, I don't know when it started working, but it hasn't done this all along. I think it may be in the recent past, maybe the last or penultimate OS X upgrade.

(Do you have Leopard? I don't)

-Sal

bentbiker
12-15-2007, 11:09 AM
(Do you have Leopard? I don't)l

No, I have 10.4.11. Maybe a recent update to OS or Safari turned the feature on by default????

hellphish
12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Safari 3 came out 2 weeks ago. Guess you mac guys just hit OK on any old Apple Software Update that pops up without reading it, eh? On windows the latest version of Firefox also has built-in spell checking.

Sal
12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Guess you mac guys just hit OK on any old Apple Software Update that pops up without reading it, eh?

Must... obey... Apple... can't... question... just... click.... OK! :p

Seriously though, all System / ancillary updates (at least I know I do) are accepted without question. I haven't yet had a Mac update (through the SWW update pane) that wasn't good for the system.

I tell my parents to do the same things. I'd rather have them accept all the updates that come through, instead of having to pick and choose. They'll get their OS X security updates without having to call me, and their system will behave as mine, when they need help, which makes telephone support for them (by me) easier.

The actual OS X Upgrades, on the other hand... I usually wait a few months before taking the plunge.

Speaking of helping out the parental units, I think I may take the Leopard plunge after all only for the easy screen sharing features built in to iChat, a program which my Mom actually uses... That'll help me help them even more hands on from a distance.

-Sal

KSagal
12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Karl,

Browsing SC on my Blackberry is a pain as I don't believe they have a mobile version of their pages.

Have you found the secret to do so?

Steven

No, I don't. It is doable, but annoying.

hellphish
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Must... obey... Apple... can't... question... just... click.... OK! :p

Seriously though, all System / ancillary updates (at least I know I do) are accepted without question. I haven't yet had a Mac update (through the SWW update pane) that wasn't good for the system.

I tell my parents to do the same things. I'd rather have them accept all the updates that come through, instead of having to pick and choose. They'll get their OS X security updates without having to call me, and their system will behave as mine, when they need help, which makes telephone support for them (by me) easier.

The actual OS X Upgrades, on the other hand... I usually wait a few months before taking the plunge.

Speaking of helping out the parental units, I think I may take the Leopard plunge after all only for the easy screen sharing features built in to iChat, a program which my Mom actually uses... That'll help me help them even more hands on from a distance.

-Sal

Be careful about what you tell your parents. I told my mom to do the same with her mac, and it turns out that the latest Safari breaks Gmail (which is pretty much the only site she uses) in many subtle ways, including breaking the autocomplete feature when entering email addresses. It took her a bit of training, but now I have her moved over to firefox where things are working well.

SEGsby
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Is there a reason we don't have Segway related phrases added to the built in checker here?

It's odd that SEGWAY, LSF, infokey, ibutton, etc., do not seem to be understood by the dictionary. :(

SEGsby

hellphish
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Is there a reason we don't have Segway related phrases added to the built in checker here?

It's odd that SEGWAY, LSF, infokey, ibutton, etc., do not seem to be understood by the dictionary. :(

SEGsby

Well if you've been following the thread you would understand that there is no spell checker built in to the editor used on this site. Any spell checking is taking place inside your browser, so the options for your browser is the tree you should be vocallizing up.

SEGsby
12-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Not been following the thread at all, but it would make sense to have site specific dictionaries that can be modified to use a particular subculture's lingo, when visited...

Oddly enough, I can't find any information on a browser-specific spelling function inside Mozilla Firefox. Where would the controls and spelling file be located for such a feature?

SEGsby

Well if you've been following the thread you would understand that there is no spell checker built in to the editor used on this site. Any spell checking is taking place inside your browser, so the options for your browser is the tree you should be vocallizing up.

pam
12-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, options advanced does "check my spelling as I type" Then if the word is not in the dictionary, it gets a red line under it... and then if you select the word and right click on it, Firefox will give you a choice of words for the spelling, and the option to add the word to the dictionary.

But I don't know where the dictionary is <G>. Mozillazine had a link to information about the dictionaries, though. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries

Pam

SEGsby
12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info. Firefox's Help system didn't show anything when doing a Feature / Function search.

SEGsby

Well, options advanced does "check my spelling as I type" Then if the word is not in the dictionary, it gets a red line under it... and then if you select the word and right click on it, Firefox will give you a choice of words for the spelling, and the option to add the word to the dictionary.

But I don't know where the dictionary is <G>. Mozillazine had a link to information about the dictionaries, though. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries

Pam

Eric Payne
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I've frequently gone to SC on my AT&T Tilt, and I've found the best web browser to use on that portable device to view these pages is Opera Mobile. It reformats the page to fit in the screen... might make each individual message incredibly long, but don't have to keep moving the horizontal slide bar to finish a sentence.