PDA

View Full Version : iBOT 4000 ride

Scotty
10-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I rode the iBOT 4000 yesterday, what a machine. If I had a severe injury I would own one of those. The thing I noticed was I did not feel like I was in a wheel chair. I could not see the wheels or anything but the chair and my feet. It was almost like riding a magic chair that floated from point to point. It would take a little time to master it but for no longer than I was on it I was comfortable just doing normal stuff.

I had staighten out the salesman. He said the Segway only had one computer and three gyros. He was suprised when I told him two computers and five gyros. The iBOT has three computers and six gyros.

It sure was worth a days vacation to ride the iBOT.

Brooster
10-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Several of us got to try the iBot (whatever version it was at the time) at SegwayFest 2003 in Chicago, with instruction from none other than its creator Kurt Heinzmann of DEKA. It was an absolutely amazing machine then, and I can only imagine the refinements to the latest version. I'd love to see it.

I keep waiting to see one "in the wild," actually being used. It's been a long wait!

KSagal
10-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I agree, quite a machine. I have been to a few events where they were, and I was quite impressed...

At segfest 05 in New Hampshire, I was lucky enough to try one in person in Dean's driveway, with advice, coaching, and instruction from Dean himself. It was one of the highlights of my segway experiences...

pam
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey, Broo, I actually saw one in the wild here in this little bitty town in Florida. It was GREAT! I just wish I'd been on my Segway at the time :).
Pam

Brooster
10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Cool!

It good to see that someone has seen one being used! Strange that of all the people we have here at SegChat, we haven't heard of more sightings.

Thanks Pam!

Tarkus
11-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Cool!

It good to see that someone has seen one being used! Strange that of all the people we have here at SegChat, we haven't heard of more sightings.

Thanks Pam!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/HPIM0060.jpg

Myself and Harlan Hobbs at 'No Barriers".

The reason we don't see more Ibots is simply that they are expensive and it's rare that insurance will pick up the tab.

The only way the Ibot will survive is to market to people with the "out of pocket " money to buy.

Sad but true. It is truly a remarkable machine.

For more pics of Harlans "off road" mods see the pics/ Ibot photo album at www.myspace.com/segforlegs

Be Big,
Alan

SEGsby
11-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the posting!

It's interesting that the Segway seems to be doing better in terms of sales...

SEGsby

I rode the iBOT 4000 yesterday, what a machine. If I had a severe injury I would own one of those. The thing I noticed was I did not feel like I was in a wheel chair. I could not see the wheels or anything but the chair and my feet. It was almost like riding a magic chair that floated from point to point. It would take a little time to master it but for no longer than I was on it I was comfortable just doing normal stuff.

I had staighten out the salesman. He said the Segway only had one computer and three gyros. He was suprised when I told him two computers and five gyros. The iBOT has three computers and six gyros.

It sure was worth a days vacation to ride the iBOT.

Eric Payne
11-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Seen in the wild: One iBOT, at approximately 1:00 pm, Arizona Time, in the back of a large, extended white pick-up truck (with oversized tires... the pick up that is, not the iBOT) heading southbound on 75th Avenue, waiting for the light to change at the intersection of 75th Avenue and Thunderbird Road, in Glendale, AZ.

Took me a second to figure it out... I kept wondering what the oversized baby protection seat was doing sticking that far out of the bed of a pick-up, then, as we passed it, and I saw the construction around the seat (and the sets of wheels), it dawned on me.