PDA

View Full Version : SegTray-a way to transport the transporter

herpos
03-13-2003, 06:12 PM
I posted this on main page too.
As more Segways get out to people, there seems to be more anguish about the weight and storage-trunks too small, lids won’t close, takes two people, awkward positions lead to back problems, etc. Having a mobility disability, I got a Segway to avoid those things. Thus I have made a carrier for the hitch receiver installed on many vehicles. This carrier I have dubbed the SegTray since it cradles the Segway HT for transportation. By power assisting the Segway up a short ramp it plops into a cradle and removing it is the reverse procedure. A local shop fabricated this for me and is willing to make them for others, but wants to know how much interest there might be before committing to jigs, bar stock etc.

There are many possibilities to store a Segway. Wooden ramps into an SUV or into a van or pickup is usually cheaper if you can afford the room. And of course a sedan is usually much harder if not impossible even for two people. In any case you have to have a hitch (Hidden hitch or Draw-tite) installed ($120-300) depending on style and shop.

View the completed SegTray on the web site: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Segtray

And send an email if any interest and indicate the range of worth this might be to you. A sample: Cargo carriers designed for other uses (see etrailers.com) can be as low as $75. I saw a Segway specific one on Segwayusersgroup once for $400 (for an eSegway).

Send email to Segtray@comcast.net and I will send more descriptions about customization, security and experiences. Also what price seems resoanable. If there is enough interest, then they might produce them. In the meantime there is enough details on the website for you to make your own.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Segtray/segtray travel.jpg

IgnacioM
04-16-2003, 11:54 PM
All these ideas are fine, but they seem too heavy. They are fine for your home car, but if you are on travel away from home and want to rent a car at the airport you will need something that is light and fits inside a carryon to stow it in the trunk in the trunk. I would be interested in finding something that could lift a 86 lbs Segway into the trunk of a car by using the "Power Assist" mode (a light weigh and extendable ramp, or some form of screw that would screw in to the axes of each wheel and extend outside the wheel where a rope attached to a tripod could be wound via the power assist mode, or some simpler idea). Any ideas. Help. By the way, I have a disability and the airline company indicated that they would be willing to check my segway right at the gate. I'm not sure if they would do this to every passenger with a segway, but in my case I would love to use this service if I new that I could later store my segway in the trunk of a car.