PDA

View Full Version : Paddy from Switzerland

paddy
07-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Hi there

Since I haven't found a special area in these forums for introducing new users, I write here.

I'm a 35 year old Swiss guy and I DO NOT HAVE a Segway yet. But I will have one within the next eleven months. I have to save the money first. And for that case I created a blog (www.projekt3s.ch (http://www.projekt3s.ch)) which is only in German.

Why do I know that I'll have one within the next year? I will participate at the 2008 edition of the Me And My Segway meeting at Steyr (Austria). :-)

So, those of you who understand German are very welcome on my blog mentioned above.

All the others will probably read more from me here on segwaychat.com.

Kind regards from Switzerland (sunny weather, blue sky, 34 degrees Celsius)

Paddy

pam
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi, Paddy. Welcome! There's a sticky at the top of the HT Discussion forum for introducing new owners, but not new members who are not quite owners. <G> I'm sure you'll love your Segway when you get it!
Pam

paddy
07-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Oups, sorry, I didn't see.

florin
07-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi Paddy,

Welcome to SegwayChat, great to have another european member on board.

See you next year at MAMS.

polo_pro
07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
You may want to get in contact with the Switzerland polo team ( http://www.htpolo.ch/en/index.asp ). They seem very organized, and you may end up migrating in that direction once you get your segway. Also, you'll be shown why you might want to purchase a used Gen 1 unit instead. And if you end up doing that, you'll be up on a segway (and likely playing polo) even sooner than you thought!

ps - If I were in your shoes I'd talk to nerfman39 who may be nearby you (and already assimilated into the polo ranks).

paddy
07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanx. I already am in contact with nerfman. But unfortunately he lives at Geneva, which is about three hours from me (with car, not segway) :-)

Regarding the less expensive first gen segway.... NO. I want a new wan or at least an XT / i180. And I am patient enough. In the meantime I try to meet some Segway owners who give me a free ride ;-).

florin
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Regarding the less expensive first gen segway.... NO. I want a new wan or at least an XT / i180. And I am patient enough.

If playing Segway polo is not your reason for buying a segway, I would suggest you go for the 2nd generation segways (I2/X2). Apparently it's quit a big problem to get parts for the older models.

paddy
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
@Florin
HT Polo would be a great pleasure to play once. But for me it's not the reason to buy a Segway.

BTW: Why is there no way to leave a comment on your website, Florin?

florin
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM

To avoid spam. I still have to check if I can switch it on with moderation, just like they have on the last mile blog from Segway.

But feel free to send me a e-mail with your feedback, you can e-mail me via segwaychat.

ryan_walters
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Regarding the less expensive first gen segway.... NO. I want a new wan or at least an XT / i180.

Both the XT, and the i180 are first generation segways. i2/x2 are second generation.

paddy
07-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Wasn't there a version before the first one? An p-onehundred-something?

polo_pro
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
@Florin
HT Polo would be a great pleasure to play once. But for me it's not the reason to buy a Segway.

WHAT?! Hmph...I blame Florin and his corrupting influence on poor Paddy!

ryan_walters
07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Wasn't there a version before the first one? An p-onehundred-something?

If you're thinking the p133, it came after the original i167 as far as I know. Both are still generation 1's though.

florin
07-19-2007, 03:03 AM
WHAT?! Hmph...I blame Florin and his corrupting influence on poor Paddy!

Sorry Plomoh/Plo/Polo, please stop changing your screen name, with each name change your interrest has changed too, it's confusing :p
Now I don't know your real name anymore :(

Plomoh would have agreed with me, because if something get broken during a long distance glide, it would be handy if a nearby dealer has the parts you need to continue your glide. But Polo rather wants a gen1 segway, because then your foot wont get stuck between the leansteer frame and the fender while playing polo.

polo_pro
07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Sorry Plomoh/Plo/Polo, please stop changing your screen name, with each name change your interrest has changed too, it's confusing :p
Now I don't know your real name anymore :(

Plomoh would have agreed with me, because if something get broken during a long distance glide, it would be handy if a nearby dealer has the parts you need to continue your glide. But Polo rather wants a gen1 segway, because then your foot wont get stuck between the leansteer frame and the fender while playing polo.

Hmmm...for long distance gliding the deciding factor is a segseat. If i2's start having segseats, then I can see getting either model. Also, I'd say "hands free gliding" is another major plus of the Gen 1 for long distance gliding. But I'd think any segseat solution for an i2 would allow "knee steering" and that'd be fine too.

I'm actually not to worried about getting my foot stuck between the wheel and the lean steer during polo. One or two of the other polo players use an i2 and I've seen them fall off. Usually it's a straight ahead fall (not turning), but in all cases they manage to get free of the unit and then roll.

florin
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Hmmm...for long distance gliding the deciding factor is a segseat. If i2's start having segseats, then I can see getting either model.

I can remember I have seen a I2 with a seat, unfortunately I don't have a photo of it. I thought it was somebody from the FunkyMove.de group who had it.

KSagal
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Those very creative people at SegVator have seats that bolt to the transmission bolts, so I would imagine that they are compatable or at least adaptable to i2...

I dunno... I know that Polo will think this is herasy, but I have no desire for polo. It is not in my nature. I don't begrudge those who enjoy it, but the world and even the seg world does not revolve around that...

I also do not have a seat. I have almost everything else that was ever made for a seg, and dozens of things I had to make myself because no one else did, but even though I have been on a seat, and liked it (I was on a few of Mario's prototypes, and they were great) I also have no desire to own one of those...

I kind of like the seg for what it was designed for. It is a good device for me where it is walkable, but I do not have time or desire. I use it where I could use a bike, but do not particularly want to get sweaty, or just do not have the desire to ride. I use it for those short trips that would otherwise be in my car, but do not really require a car...

Again, I say, with all the toys, games, sports, and other gadgets aside (And I have most) that it makes more sense to me to use a 100 pound machine to move my 200 pound body a few miles down the road than to use a 2000 pound machine for the same project.

pam
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, I just visited the SegVator site, and they've got seats for the i2, I believe.
Pam

polo_pro
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, I just visited the SegVator site, and they've got seats for the i2, I believe.

Sure looks like it. Can someone explain to me how this version allows you to lean forward and backward to increase your ability to accelerate or deccelerate? I do like the LeanSeat for it's price!

By the way, even the Segseat has limitations when it comes to accellerating or braking. You can instantly get more "braking" in an emergency situation BUT there's a limit. And at that point, you're wishing you could go back a bit further. For some reason, the limitation on accelleration never really bothered me...though hugging the handlebars is a bit frustrating for long periods of times (probably indicating I needed to adjust the seat slightly).

wwhopper
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Segvators two seats the Mel Seat and the Lean Seat work well. I have trained users on both.

The Lean Seat, though looks odd, works very well. Jerry Kerr uses one and for him to stand and sit is a big benefit. I am sure that somewhere along the line someone will paint it to match their custom Segway.

I have installed them on both gen one and gen two machines and they are easy to install!

The lean seat does take some getting used to, and inital training should be done in a confined space at a low speed setting.