PDA

View Full Version : Forum cleverness

gbrandwood
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Is it possible within vbulletin, with the setup currently in place, to have a bit of code in a post that always displays the post id of the current post and the thread id of the current thread.

For example, after editing this post, I've been able to add the following:

Post # 145767
Thread # 15709

Can they be inserted somehow without editing, using a special tag or something?

KSagal
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Is it possible within vbulletin, with the setup currently in place, to have a bit of code in a post that always displays the post id of the current post and the thread id of the current thread.

For example, after editing this post, I've been able to add the following:

Post # 145767
Thread # 15709

Can they be inserted somehow without editing, using a special tag or something?

Why?

ryan_walters
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
I doubt it. I ran a quick search and didn't come up with anything. It might be possible, but probably not without adding some .php code into vbulletin itself.

pam
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
The thread number shows up in the URL on your browser bar and the post number will show up when you mouseover the "report this post" triangle at the bottom of the post on the left hand side. Now, I use firefox - haven't tried with the other browsers.
Pam

gbrandwood
06-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks, all.

I believe Ryan to be correct. Pam was also correct, but I needed it dynamic within the post body itself so I could create dynamic links. The links would be used for an alternative rep points system I was thinking of.

polo_pro
06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Are you hoping that your alternative rep system would be easier to use? Because the existing one is pretty simple, and no one tends to use it. Heck, I think the last rep I got was 2 months ago. You'd think one of my many many posts over the last 2 months was worthy of pushing the little scale button to the left of all my posts.

gbrandwood
06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Not so much ease of use, rather ease of access. The existing system works - but not many people know about it, despite you occasionaly advocating it. I was going to have two links in my signature. One saying "you like" and the other "you don't like" or words to that effect. Then rep points would be (IMHO) easier to gain and lose. I've got it working but all kudos goes against one post. You can tell the thread it applies to but not the actual post. Bummer.

Five-Flags
06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Are you hoping that your alternative rep system would be easier to use? Because the existing one is pretty simple, and no one tends to use it. Heck, I think the last rep I got was 2 months ago. You'd think one of my many many posts over the last 2 months was worthy of pushing the little scale button to the left of all my posts.

The problem I have is that the system prevents rep points from being worth anything. In my daily reading, I may find perhaps one post per day which (IMNSHO) I feel deserves rep points. Most often it is from one of a dozen or so members whose opinions I respect greatly. However, I cannot give the deserved rep points until I "spread the wealth" and credit others' posts who I did not feel justified that credit.

So we have a system that limits the deserving and artificially benefits the unearned.

Gee, I wonder why more people don't use it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Desert_Seg
06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
So we have a system that limits the deserving and artificially benefits the unearned.

AMEN to that. The rep system on vBulletin is skewed towards everybody feeling the love, not the right way were the worthy get the love!

Steven

pam
06-21-2007, 06:34 AM
I think it's the only way that v-bulletin knows to prevent people from getting their friends to just sit there and give each other rep points.

Personally, I've felt rep points were sorta silly. Each poster has advice or information based on their experience, and sometimes that experience is of value to other posters, sometimes not. Sometimes a poster will have an off day and sometimes someone else will start a thread that they a lot to contribute - just by virtue of their experience. Anyone who has been on the forums for a while knows whose experience they resonate with - or not.

Pam

Sal
06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
And it got into a _very_ heated discussion.

The problem I have is that the system prevents rep points from being worth anything.

Exactly. I agree with Pam in that I think the rep points system is silly. And Five-Flag's comment supports it from the other side.

After the first or second heated discussion, it was decided that we'd leave the current system as is, instead of turning it off completely.

Visitors to the forum for even a short perusal of the threads will see keen prespectives they'll agree with and wisdom they'll heed.

In my experience on other forums are only taken seriously by a vocal minority.

-Sal

KSagal
06-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Any system can be manipulated and corrupted. This system allows some people to inflate their own green blocks, and as pointed out, does not allow others to do it, or do it for their friends...

I believe that any system that does not treat everyone equally, is suspect.

That said, anyone can say anything, and people here often do. Some offer little and have a great deal of knowledge. Others talk alot, and know very little of what they speak.

The only people more foolish than those who hemorage at the mouth on topics they really do not know, are those who stop in to a forum and get bad information and do not check it out. Hang around long enough, and you can see the wize easily enough, as the blowhards will eventually shot themselves in the foot...

( I have to go now, I have an appointment with my podiatrist!)

polo_pro
06-22-2007, 02:03 AM
I do want to point out something. Many of us have chosen to hang around here and share our experiences and wisdom. However, we are the rare few.

Many many SC readers only join us for a brief time. And I'd speculate they do so either before they've purchased a segway or just beforehand. In this situation, they are looking for validation as they make their decision. A rating system helps them quickly establish who to listen to. And since they're making a significant purchase, I think they'd value this rating system.

Now I agree any rating system can be subverted. One or two oddball individuals will be intent on spending the time and effort to get an artificially high rating. But that doesn't mean we should throw it out. Why? Because even with these fakes around, our regulars with their high ratings will chime in and set thing straight. Besides the highly rated oddballs often drift away...well, unless they are named Itsi, eh?