PDA

View Full Version : KAIST to introduce a modified version of Segway 'Hubo-Way' in Korea

bystander
05-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure if this is a real product announcement, or some kind of "future product intended" announcement:

http://aving.net/usa/news/default.asp?mode=read&c_num=47603&C_Code=04&SP_Num=0

Seems to leave one with more questions than answers.

1. Is this a real product or a prototype?

2. Since the lower cost p-series was discontinued due to lack of mainstream consumer interest, will it sell, even at the "half the cost of a Segway" price? For a short time the p-series was available at Sam's Club for about "half", but that didn't keep it alive in the market.

3. Are the safety features still present? I would think some company could easily make a Segway-like EPAMD for around half the cost by using single winding motors and single controller boards. Of course, such a design would be intrinsically unsafe once it left the lab enviroment.

4. The weight and top speed is given, but not range or payload. One imagines that the range and payload is in the area of what the p-series was, or a bit less.

5. Appears to not have a gearbox and uses belt drive instead. Tri spoked wheels look potentially veg-o-matic. Belts may seem like an inefficient means of transferring mechanical energy, but may not be all that bad, as belt technology has improved in recent years.

citivolus
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I think the photos are clearly of a prototype. Just looking at the number of fasteners, on the wheels or bottom plate for instance, says to me "this is how to build a few but it isn't the way to build many." In general, threaded fasteners are too time intensive when several components don't need to come apart often. It also has an unfinished look about it with the wires showing.

The belts are certainly cheaper than gears but will likely suffer from a shorter life and deterioration although a maintenance schedule can account for that. The downside is if one breaks at speed! :eek:

In the end, since this is definately a prototype, I wouldn't worry about the wheels, safety features or range because this actually reminds me of some of the pics of early Seg prototypes. It has a way to go before it "hits the streets."

GadgetmanKen
05-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I think the pictures are of a prototype. In a production model I would think that they would have the largest gear, pulley along the sides to have a cover over it. Just imagine having a pants cuff, toe, or shoestring get caught up in it. Yikes. Also the front end under the platform has exposed circuitry and wires. Not a good idea on a production model. It is interesting tho, that to turn you add more pressure to one side, than the other, It must have pressure sensors under foot. Which is what a lot of us thought the Segway had under it before the actually finding out how it really worked. But if it does, I see a potential problem if the rider were riding parallel on an incline. By nature there would be more force to that side and would turn into that direction, unless of course the rider has to make human adjustments for the indifference at a faster than real time rate, because of reaction time in us. Also the handle bar shaft doesn't look to strong, albiet weak and poorly designed. IMO. What I have found thru some observation on different small scooter devices is that some of them really have some kick or get up and go qualities. I saw a small electric pocket bike model that was 32 volt and man you couldn't hold on to it if you hit the throttle and wasn't on it.

KSagal
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I have always considered the weight=steering ratio as suspect, because I often glide and shift my feet, especially with bad knees... I flex and move quite a bit...

Also, if you hit a minor bump on a turn, it is not uncommon for you to shift weight when a bit off balance (My center of gravity is rarely over the center of balance during a turn). If you were to have a momentary bobble during a turn or any time for that matter, it could cause you to turn as a results...

drmarty
06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I wonder if that is really how they steer it. They have wires going into the shaft. Could be an on off switch but more likely is a steering mechanism. And the platform seems attached solidly and there are no switches etc. on it. Soooo. They mention something about the wheels sensing the different weight. ??? They also look like they are attached pretty solidly (I would hope so.) Maybe the writer didn't quite understand. Maybe I don't.

The belt drive system looks good, tho. Bet it is quiet and smooth. Easy to change ratios with the intermediate shaft setup.

But a fender to cover the pulleys and the wheel would be sort of nice. Can you imagine the road rash if you leaned your leg against the wheel? At 20Kph?

Who knows? Who cares? OK we do.

Marty