PDA

View Full Version : IBOT fun!

Ronda
05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Yesterday my husband Bob was delighted to test glide an IBOT at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. The sheer joy on his face was priceless! Pictures are posted in the SegChat "Photos" link.

Bob received a serious spinal cord injury Christmas Eve of 1995 due to a freak accident off the coast of Maui. He's a C5/6 quadriplegic with the function of a C7/8 level quad and has a positive attitude of a true Superman. He regained enough function to drive his van without hand controls. For 11 years he's often been forced to forego socializing with others due to inaccessible homes with stairs. Curb cuts are often far and few between. The IBOT would open windows in his world!

I understand the mechanical functions of an IBOT since I'm a Segway owner of a black i2 affectionately named "The Pony". Must admit to being unprepared to be so completely amazed at the sight of Bob balancing on 2 wheels. Absolutely an incredible sight!

One of these fine days we hope to share pix of a double set of huge grins as Bob glides his very own IBOT beside The Pony and I. Happy dance, happy dance!

cruiter
05-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow, that's great. The close up of his smile is priceless. As I recall, he still had it last night at dinner. I'll be the camera man for your IBOT/Seg formation flying.

Jim

Ronda
05-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Yep, Cruiter, we're gonna need a camera man, you can have the honors. Except for using his standing frame for 1/2 hour a day, Bob hasn't had the opportunity to be eye-to-eye with other folks in 11 years - another terrific bonus!

joe
05-19-2007, 09:22 AM
I think the iBOT is a GREAT device, I hope you'll get one (and Johnson & Johnson sell enough to keep this technology alive).

I'm surpised, going over a step like a street curb is possible without a handrail?

BTW, here's the link:
http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=97

--
Johannes

Ronda
05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes, the IBOT easily conquers curbs. How cool is that!

A little bit of irony.... As we hurried to the IBOT testing location, frustration set in because the Emory campus was a literal obstacle course due to road construction. Many of the roads and sidewalks were impassable. As we neared the Rehab building, Bob groaned as he realized there was no way his Quickie P-200 could climb the 5" curb directly ahead of us. No curb cut in sight. He needed to back track more than a block to locate a curb cut. Had Bob been gliding on an IBOT, the curb would've been a cinch to climb.

Wish we'd had the IBOT several years ago when I earned a sales trip but turned down because Ireland is not a very accessible country. Our hope is that we'll be able to go more places, see more people, and have more fun soon!

Thanks for posting the link to the IBOT photos.