PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] - How proficient are you with Wiki sites?

hellphish
04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
For those who don't know, a Wiki is a special type of website that allows any user to edit any page they like. This is how wikipedia works; many people are allowed to edit and revise any page, and a sort of 'community knowledgebase' grows over time.

I am in the process of creating our very own Wiki for the users of this site and the rest of the Segway Community. For the most part everything is ready to go; I have the domain, the wiki software is installed, but before I go about writing the front page, I wanted to gauge the experience of the user base here.

Please click an answer in the poll or just describe your experience here.

Sal
04-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Florin has great experience with Wiki Sites...

He set up our Wiki Segway Friendly site.

-Sal

hellphish
04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
That's cool, but I'm not really looking for assistance, I'm polling to gauge everyone's own personal experience.

hellphish
05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank you to all who participated in the survey. I appreciate you taking your time.

florin
05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
My wiki is already running for a while now, and except for a few posts, I don't think it's really active.

I don't think you are asking the right question to the community, it's not that much a matter if they are familiar with a wiki and know how to use it.

The question is more, is there a need for it, does the community find it usefull to have it.

Personally I have the impression that they rather use the segwaychat forum with it's nice WYSIWYG editor.

florin
05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Florin has great experience with Wiki Sites...

He set up our Wiki Segway Friendly site.

-Sal

Thanks for the credits :)

It was my first wiki, after that I have set up another one at my work, so my "great" experience might be limited :eek:

hellphish
05-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I was under the impression your wiki was for segwayfriendly only. I aim to make a comprehensive wiki.

florin
05-16-2007, 01:50 PM
The previous wiki that we had was focused on segway friendly cities, but since it was hard to use I have installed mediawiki in my webspace for the community. Copied the info to my wiki and the community could go on writing info about segway friendly cities.

But if you look more closely on my wiki you will notice that it's named Segway wiki and that I even created some extra pages like Fun things to do and tutorials to inspire the rest to also write about other things related to segways.

So far there are only a bunch of spammers trying to fill up the wiki, somehow it's I guess automatically removed again, but you can see it in the recent changes page.

Personally I would love to move the info somehow to the segwaychat forums, so that I can close the wiki, then we have all the info in one central place where people are used to write and are already registered.

If you want take over the wiki initiative, be my guest, feel free to copy all the info into your wiki. But I think it's better to spend your time on something more fun.