PDA

View Full Version : No More Tiny Bubbles

nora k
04-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Don Ho is lost to us now. His spirit lives on in my father's lp collection.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/14/don.ho.obit.ap/index.html

JohnM
04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
October 20, 1981, an evening that will live in infamy.

Don Ho asks if there are any honeymooners in the audience at his dinner theater and my new bride shoots out of her seat, along with several other rubes. Don asks how long couples have been married. 5 days. 3 days. My wife, "2 DAYS!". "That's our couple!", says Don. "Bring them up!".

The next 10 minutes (it seemed an eternity) were the most embarrassing moments of my life as I was the brunt of one cheap gag after another while my wife took it easy in the guest of honor chair next to Don. I won't go into the gory details other than to say that my wife had bought an outfit for me earlier in the day with beltless slacks the were far to loose and in constant danger of falling off my hips. When Don's four hula girls stripped off my flowered shirt and made me dance on stage ...... well, everyone had a good chuckle except me.

Things were a bit cool between my wife and I the rest of that evening, but over time I've mellowed a bit and can now say the highlight of my honeymoon in Hawaii was the night I got to sing 'Tiny Bubbles' on stage with Don Ho.

Aloha, Don.

JohnM
ManchVegas, NH

KSagal
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Ahhh,

Now we see! There was obviously some spandex, or self balancing component that was in play that evening...

Actually, it was a cute story. Thanks for sharing. I believe that sometimes the goofy little nothing events like this add up to more than the big ones often.

It's kind of like the color guy on the sports cast. Without the play by play (the big stuff) there is no game, without the color, (the little stuff) there is no reason to listen...

JohnM
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Karl,

On that one single evening I would have sold my soul for a pair of tight pants.

JohnM,
ManchVegas, NH

nora k
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Karl,

On that one single evening I would have sold my soul for a pair of tight pants.

JohnM,
ManchVegas, NH

come on, maybe you could say your wife made all the other women in the crowd jealous because she got to go home with you and they didn't!

wwhopper
04-15-2007, 03:30 PM
On that one single evening I would have sold my soul for a pair of tight pants. JohnM, ManchVegas, NH

Sometimes we embarass ourselves, and sometimes others do it for us!

But no matter what, it will always be a story that you will remember.

I know in the 23 years that we have been together, I have embarssed my "other half" well more than once.... Like the time I spilled red wine on the boss's wife!!

nora k
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM

But no matter what, it will always be a story that you will remember.

I know in the 23 years that we have been together, I have embarssed my "other half" well more than once.... Like the time I spilled red wine on the boss's wife!!

twenty three years - that's almost older than i am!

citivolus
04-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Now, I shall forever wonder the origin of Shakespeare's immortal line from Twelfth Night...
"some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

Perhaps Anne, his wife, would have known. :p