PDA

View Full Version : (un)Professional tour guide

nickyboy
03-30-2007, 06:19 AM
There's nothing quite like a good professional tour guide setting a good example and Frankly, this is just that... NOTHING QUITE LIKE IT.

I would have fallen off my seat laughing if he had no recovered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtYPcFKrybs

Nick

Sal
03-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Monkey see monkey do.... Its a pity!

Enough monkeys out there will muck it up for the responsible gliders out there.

-Sal

Tarkus
03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Sad, very sad.

Be Big,
Alan

gbrandwood
03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Yup, won't be long before we see a seg on You've Been Framed!

eJM
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Was that someone from the Angel Island tour that Segway of Oakland set up?

Jim

Tarkus
03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I had to look again, it's just so sad it's funny.

Be Bigger then that azz,
Alan

Sleepy
03-31-2007, 01:12 PM
That looks like Fort Mason Center in SF with the San Francisco Electric Tour Company. I've been on their tour and I found it really well run with a knowledgeable and responsible tour guide. I'm sure this was an isolated occurrance. Those guys know what they're doing.

-Alex

SF Segway Tours
04-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm the very embarrassed owner of SF Electric Tour. And yes that is one of my guides. We run a very tight operation or so I though.. This thread and that video will be featured at our Monday AM guide meeting.. and will not happen again..

Thanks for posting the video. I'm alway interested in all the news and feedback - The good, the bad and in this case the ugly !

gbrandwood
04-02-2007, 08:10 AM
You can't ask for more than that. Good on you for owning up and pledging to put things right in the future.

KSagal
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree. Even though it was clearly a laps in judgement, that ship seems to have a good keel, and a responsible master...

I have found that mistakes are an every day part of life... Often times people get too excited about them, in my opinion...

I have found that mistake recovery is often a better judge of the worth of a person, or organization, than the error itself... (As long as there is institutional memory of the mistake and it does not repeat itself forever...)

nickyboy
04-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm the very embarrassed owner of SF Electric Tour. And yes that is one of my guides. We run a very tight operation or so I though.. This thread and that video will be featured at our Monday AM guide meeting.. and will not happen again..

Thanks for posting the video. I'm alway interested in all the news and feedback - The good, the bad and in this case the ugly !

Maybe I best keep away from SF for a while in case there's an angy tour guide after me for dropping him in it!

Nick

gbrandwood
04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Especially if he's waving a wet finger at you! ;)

AggiePhil
06-03-2009, 04:28 PM
That isn't Jerome, is it? Jerome's the man! :)

buzzman003
06-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Wow. Great post of what not to do!

doctorkurtschleg
06-06-2009, 12:08 AM

It's really not that bad, SF... Your guide doesn't set the best example, but he is obviously having fun which is what Segway is all about. No one seems to be really in danger with his back and forth antics. If you would just have him show as a part of this demonstration that a fall is not lethal, it would be perfect! :)

nickyboy
06-06-2009, 03:32 AM
It's really not that bad, SF... Your guide doesn't set the best example, but he is obviously having fun which is what Segway is all about. No one seems to be really in danger with his back and forth antics. If you would just have him show as a part of this demonstration that a fall is not lethal, it would be perfect! :)

Wow, you could get a job in British politic's.talk about "spin" :rolleyes:

KSagal
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
You know, years ago when that first came to this forum, there were a lot of people really getting into the horror of it all...

I agree it is not great, and a bit embarrassing, but I don't get the moral outrage. He was not using good habits, and almost paid the price. Then, after a near self inflicted accident, he started using better gliding posture...

How many of us really cannot say that we have never done something dumb? How many of us can say we never exercised our lesser judgment if front of other people?

If this guide made a habit of this kind of move, okay, slam him. But for one single moment out of potentially hundreds of hours on a segway, I say my jury is still out...

Ken Bracewell
06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
but I don't get the moral outrage.
Then, I say my jury is still out...

plus 1. Was wondering the same.

SF Segway Tours
06-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting to see this thread come back alive after 2+ years.. We still use this video as a "don"t try this a home" training tool for our guides. I know we might have improved a bit since 2007!

Anybody that has been to our tour operation knows we are very serious about training and rider (and guide) safety. And yes we have all done silly things while riding our Segways.

Come see us in San Francisco or Sausalito - no extra charge for the performing guides!

eJM
06-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Can we use our own Segways on your tours though?

Jim