PDA

View Full Version : Chicago i-Series Static Display ... One Last Look

Brooster
10-06-2002, 05:06 AM
I was at Chicago's Museum and Industry on Friday 10/4/02, and had my first look at the Segway (in a plexiglass case) since I rode it there last June. I'm glad I got a good look, because the static display is scheduled to go away sometime this month.

Here's what struck me on my second look ... the wheels! The i-Series wheels (and fender skirts) are much bigger in diameter than I remembered. When you sit there and look at them elevated in a display case, you realize that they're pretty substantial.

And the tires ... very cool looking, very professional, with the "Michelin" logo molded in as if they'd made a million of them before. I'd describe the tires as a cross between bicycle, car and airplane tires. We know that they operate at only 15 psi. Definitely something new.

Thanks Segway LLC, for leaving a machine here for the summer, and for that one last look. Just seeing it again was great.

We hope you'll be back.
To the Batpoles.

Broo

Brooster

Casey
10-06-2002, 06:58 AM
Hey B-Roaster,

Here is an article I have in the Events section: Did the display say where it will be next so I can enter that for others that might want to go see it? I have loved that museum since I first saw it as a kid. Hope I can get back into it someday.

quote:Through October 31, 2002---Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. Segway Display (http://www.msichicago.org/temp_exhibit/segway/) A non-operational Segway HT is at the Museum through October 31, 2002.

Brooster
10-06-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey there Casey.

No, I didn't see any info about where it's going next. There's sort of a big placard on a stand with general info about the machine, but that's it.

It is a great museum ... and it probably has a lot of the same stuff you saw years ago ... the coal mine, the captured German U-505 submarine (I just went through it again ... hadn't been in it for probably 25 years), etc. What's really neat, and going on right now, is the latest Titanic exhibition. Definitely worth the trip to see.

Broo

Brooster

ftropea
10-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Brooster..

Would it be possible for you to revisit and take some detailed closeups? We could add them to our photo album here at SegwayChat. As you know, there are a lot of interesting little details that one doesn't see at first glance.

I'm interested in the design details, some of which you've pointed out. For example, the tires being as wide as they are. Why are the wheels that wide? Why do they have that particular tread design? Interesting design consideration questions that I'd like to discuss with anyone interested.

But detailed photos would be a nice start. It's the closest thing to actually having one in front of you to poke at :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
10-07-2002, 12:53 PM
Frank,

It's not likely that I'll get back down there by the time it goes away. Besides, it's tough to get good pictures of because the flash gets reflected by the triangular case. I'll e-mail you the one decent picture I have, which you've probably already seen as part of my slide show on 4Seg's site.

Broo

Edit: 2 pics sent to your VTR address.

Brooster

Seg-wager
10-07-2002, 04:56 PM
Can't wait to see them, Broo!

ftropea
10-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Hey Broo..

Added you pics to my photo album:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=2&cid=6

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
10-07-2002, 10:00 PM
That's cool ... I can send you the rest if you want 'em ... either individually or as a slideshow ... just let me know.

B.

Brooster

Brooster
10-08-2002, 03:00 AM
Frank T.,

Come to think of it, I may take the wife to see the Titanic show (I was there with a buddy from out of town). If I do go back, I'll see what I can do about getting some more detailed pics of the whole machine.

Brooster

4Seg
10-09-2002, 01:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Frank T.,

Come to think of it, I may take the wife to see the Titanic show (I was there with a buddy from out of town). If I do go back, I'll see what I can do about getting some more detailed pics of the whole machine.

Brooster

Take that triangle case off of it and get some good ones! My flash hit me hard too. ;)
Good luck!

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies